Niketown 20% off trick - vol. sticking it to corporate America

So whenever I see a flaw in a system, I feel that it is our duty as red blooded American's to take advantage of that loophole.

Recently, some jabroni $9/hr making retail employee at Niketown LA decided to waste my time by telling me I could not return something for store credit even though it was clearly within the bounds of the company return policy (It was actually my buddy and he had the receipt, but I had to drive him there so it wasted my time too but I digress).  I told him to send his girlfriend in and have her return it with no receipt and I'm sure she could get store credit for it.  Sure enough, when she went in a couple of days later they took the return no questions asked, and gave her the store credit.  On top of the credit, they gave her a voucher for 20% off any item in the store if she used that credit within the next 2 hours.  My buddy decided to take advantage of the 20% discount and bought a pair of shoes for $100 and took the balance in store credit.

My buddy still had other merchandise he needed to return to NTLA so we went back a couple of days later (my office is about a mile from there, so its not that inconvenient).  I walked in, told them I didnt have a receipt and I just wanted store credit for the merchandise, and sure enough they handed me the credit and same voucher for 20% off.  I immediately used the credit to buy the new home colorway Kobe V's for $104+ tax and took the balance in credit.

Now conceivably I (or a friend) could take those Kobe's back in and return it without a receipt.  Upon doing so they would give me my $130+tax (full price) of credit and probably another voucher for 20% off.  I could immediately take that credit and buy a pair of $160 shoes, use the 20% discount, and still have a couple bucks of store credit left over.  The next day someone else could go in there and return the $160 shoes with no receipt and get $160+tax in credit plus another 20% off voucher.  Lather rinse repeat.

Now I dont know if they give that 20% coupon everytime, but they gave it to us 2 out of 2 times.  Worst case, you just rebuy the item (assuming you wanted it in the first place) and no harm no foul.  All it took was a little bit of time out of your day.  It's not like I'm robbing them or anything.  It's their fault that they have a flawed return and reward system in place.

Cliffs:
- Buy something for regular price
- Return it with no receipt and get store credit + 20% off voucher
- Buy something more expensive and use 20% voucher
- Return that with no receipt and get FULL credit + 20% voucher
- Repeat

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

late

como what?

my bad if this has been discussed before.  I dont really shop at NTLA cause I dont like to pay full retail for shoes.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

late

como what?

my bad if this has been discussed before.  I dont really shop at NTLA cause I dont like to pay full retail for shoes.

^^ and damn right im salty.  i hate when people waste my time

free bump, i <3 sticking it to the man

nerd.gif

it's not really that your late it's that this is NT and a bunch of people know this trick already. It's like ordering from the nike site and if you don't want to pay $8 for shipping you just register a new account with them and they give you free shipping on your next order...I have like 15 accounts with them.

hahaha I mean its not that much of an inconvenience cause I have to leave the office to get lunch anyways, and the days I went I would just pick up a sandwich at Subway across the street from NTLA. I guess it has more to do with helping my boy ultimately achieve his goal (returning the merchandise and getting his money back) and the humor with the whole situation.

everytime i've ever returned stuff to the niketown on 5th ave which is like 6 or 7 times they always gave me a 20% coupon good for a purchase in the store within the next 2 hours only.

All imma say is they ask for and I.D. And don't give the 20% if it shows you've done it recently, so you need a lot of family/friends

There's a lot more to this but you already said too much.

to return stuff without a receipt you must have a valid state I.D/Driver's license, they scan it anytime you return something for several reasons like to make sure someone isn't returning stolen merchandise to make sure someone isn't bringing back stuff over and over and over again.

of course the 20% of thing works but as you already said you don't get the 20% every time and you would pretty much have to get a different person to return the item each time because eventually they scan you I.D and they will most likely have you red flagged in their system for suspicious returns.

My friend was banned from returning stuff to a nike outlet he wasn't scamming but buying a stuff and if it didn't resell he would return it, after a few times after they caught on and told him no more returns.

If you can get by with it once then cool, but I wouldn't abuse it.

Every retail store runs your ID, and you probably only allow 1 return with no receipt per year.

They're not that dumb.

Back
Top Bottom