Non-Believers, Do You Think Religous Gestures Are Offensive?

Before we get into this, let's please not offend those that are Religous or believers. And I ask the same in-return. I was just curious to see if there were non-believers that think people saying 'Happy Easter,' or 'Have a blessed day' is offensive to your beliefs. Religous folks take their beliefs seriously, and so I was curious about the other end of the spectrum.

It doesn't matter to me. People say 'God bless you' and I just say 'thanks' without hesitation. Same with 'Happy Easter' or anything of that sort. I just wish them the same and go on with my day.

It only offends the people that are trying to prove something by being a "non-believer".

I think people get way too butthurt about stuff like this, but I also think religious folks should stop assuming everyone is Christian. I used to get kinda mad when everyone would be like, "HAPPY EASTER HAVE GOD BLESS YOU!" and stuff but they aren't doing any harm. Just ignorant.

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

It doesn't matter to me. People say 'God bless you' and I just say 'thanks' without hesitation. Same with 'Happy Easter' or anything of that sort. I just wish them the same and go on with my day.

not at all. to each his own. as long as people aren't being judgemental or shoving their beliefs down other people's throats, religious gestures are cool with me

This right here.
I'm not so much atheist as I consider myself agnostic though.

no but I do find it hairlarious when christians get offended by other religions

I don't get offended, it's just irritating. I was born Muslim, but lost my "faith" about a year ago. My school is mostly Christians/Jews, so they're always saying stuff like "Merry Christmas" or whatever. When I tell people that I don't celebrate christmas, their mouths drop and then they ask me why. When I tell them my family's from Afghanistan they look all scared and %$&^
roll.gif

No, but I do find it ignorant that someone would just be under the impression that I share their beliefs without inquiring to know whether or not I do. 
Tr1ll wrote:
It only offends the people that are trying to prove something by being a "non-believer".

Not really. They probably just aren't as lenient when it comes to the ignorance of others. If someone of a less-popular religion were to greet others with the assumption that they shared their beliefs, it would be frowned upon. But since most of the country practices Christianity, most people are accustomed and familiar to Christian practices, and have been desensitized by their greetings.

If a Muslim decided to greet everyone with Islamic-based greetings, non-Muslims, whether they're believers or not, would correct them and make it known that they don't practice Islam.

I don't get offended but I need to start doing the same.
For instance, telling people things like "based god bless you," "have a based day,"and my favorite "based god raps for your sins."

Basically.
I think there's this notion that goes around that all atheists want to argue and debate with religious believers at the drop of a hat. 

I do agree it's slightly ignorant to assume that I share their beliefs, but it's to be expected, besides, there's more important things to worry about in the grand scheme of things. I'll just say "same to you" and keep it moving.

And as far as Easter/Christmas etc. I'm more than happy to join in with their festivities -I couldn't care less what it's called or what they believe it to be in the name of ...to me, it's merely a nice excuse to be off work and spend with family and friends.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

What they said

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

dont understand why someone would get offended, it aint they placing a curse at you or something

I just say "You too" and keep on with my life. It's nothing to get offended about even though I agree that it's ignorant to assume I share their beliefs.

No.

Anyone who acts offended by that stuff is just looking for something to complain about.

D bags.

Only thing that bothers me is the religious foot soldiers.
I'm cool on any forced propaganda or prayer. If I want to
Go to church, they are simple to find.

Back
Top Bottom