Not caring what people think is stupid.

iammd

Banned
Yeah, sure..its easy to say "do you and don't worry about what people think."  But in the real effing world.. it MATTERS what people think about you.  Getting a job, a girlfriend, having any friends..all require people having good feelings towards you.  So don't give me the crap about not caring what people think, because its the only thing that really does matter.  Now, am I saying that you should change who you are completely to fit in? Absolutely not, but if you don't have a girlfriend, a job or any friends you should probably take a look in the mirrror and figure out what the hell your doing wrong.  Discuss.

why post in this joint if you have nothing to say? you lame.

depends on what area of ur life u talkin about.
you deff should worry about what your boss thinks of you if you want to excell wherever you are working. thats just an example.
but for other things, people dont count.

Why you MAD OP
laugh.gif

I agree with OP. I think on here, and the internet especially it's easy to say 'do what you want, why are you worried about the next man?' When in reality the next man may be your boss, or the next woman may be your future wife etc. Presenting yourself in a positive light is always good depending on what your agenda in life is.  It kills me when someone posts a pic of an outfit and asks if the laces match the brim of the fitted, but on the other hand a guy posting a suit asking if he should wear brown or black shoes may simply be trying to get advise from others so he doesn't look like a fool on his 1st day at work, or in a big meeting with execs etc. I think there is a time and a place for the 'why you worried about the next man, do/wear what you want' comments...but as OP said there are many times where it does matter
eyes.gif

This sounds like a frustration post, would you mind elaborating on where such anger stems?

OP you couldn't be more wrong.

Humans by nature are social animals. And we're are subject to being competitive, being superficial, and making materiality worth more than it is. Now understand that this is more because we care what others think of us than us actually being these things naturally.

When you cut out this need to impress others and replace it with trying to impress yourself (sorta/kinda) your not a subject to others dominion(s)...you carry yourself the way you want to. The catch to this is that when people try to be unique, and not flow with the stream they sometimes/often get ostracized is some way for it i.e. that dude/girl is crazy.

you probably can't 100% let go of impressing others but you should live your own life on your own terms. As long as your not hurting anyone.

as far as a career is concerned...I mean if you want to stay employed then it might be in your best interest to take note of how to make the best impression every day. Actually this is important to do in everyday life as well...but don't chalk putting your best foot forward to just mean looking good...you gotta look good on the inside as well.

I'm a firm believer that when you look good you feel good, so that both worlds balance. But I can't define how I look by what others expect...

Like most everyone already said, it depends on the context you're talking about.

Not caring about what people think doesn't necessarily mean that people who feel that way go out of their way to be different, though. I typically don't care what people think about me. Does it mean I wear my pants inside out and backwards to let people know? Nah. There's a line between actually not caring and saying you don't care so that you have an excuse for attention seeking habits. I just do what comes naturally and let my actions speak for me.

if you wasted time out of your life to think or worry about others .... they're winning.

I just wanted to make something else clear.

From my standpoint the objective shouldn't be to actively not care what other people think of you, because in that sense your ostracizing yourself from others. It should be moreso I believe, in the sense that you should be confident of your individuality and uniqueness in any setting.

I think I was talking about dress more than your actions. If your trying to garner a reaction from someone i.e. getting a girl to like you then you should by all means put your best foot forward...but this whole fake it till you make it b.s. got me kinda mad. It's as if it's okay to not be who you wanna be...don't make sense to me.

If you realized the short amount of time we have on this planet coupled with the notion that those who still "fake it until you make it" will eventually result in a disaster situation..wouldn't you want to be who you are 100% of the time instead of posing as something your not?

I believe that the "faking it until you make it" idea is so well thought out and planned by people nowadays that it's actually become it's own personality type.

the meaning to the saying is not to change who you are to get people to like you.
obviously what people think about you matters to some extent, but if they don't like the real you why would you wanna change just to please them

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I just wanted to make something else clear.

From my standpoint the objective shouldn't be to actively not care what other people think of you, because in that sense your ostracizing yourself from others. It should be moreso I believe, in the sense that you should be confident of your individuality and uniqueness in any setting.

I think I was talking about dress more than your actions. If your trying to garner a reaction from someone i.e. getting a girl to like you then you should by all means put your best foot forward...but this whole fake it till you make it b.s. got me kinda mad. It's as if it's okay to not be who you wanna be...don't make sense to me.

If you realized the short amount of time we have on this planet coupled with the notion that those who still "fake it until you make it" will eventually result in a disaster situation..wouldn't you want to be who you are 100% of the time instead of posing as something your not?

I believe that the "faking it until you make it" idea is so well thought out and planned by people nowadays that it's actually become it's own personality type.
i agree, and these people who "fake it until they make it" are the lames that just try too hard.

It's not that I don't care...I'm not going to let it change me effect me or let it stop me for doing what I want to do. Its my life not theirs.

Back
Top Bottom