Not sure if this has been posted or not... But as a parent I WOULD BE IN JAIL!

[h1]Teacher cuts off student's braid out of 'frustration,' receives $175 fine[/h1][h4]By Amber Watson-Tardiff[/h4][h5]December 16, 2009, 12:46PM[/h5]
cammonjpg-bef60c922d3463cd_small.jpg
First-grader Lamya Cammon after having herbraid cut off by 'frustrated' teacherA Milwaukee teacher was slapped with a fine this week and faces possible suspension aftercutting off a student's braid out of"frustration" because the girl would not stop touching her hair.

Lamya Cammon, 7, reported that her first-grade teacher brought her to the front of the class and used a pair of classroom scissors to cutoff one of her braids as punishment. Embarrassed, the girl cried at her seat while her classmates laughed at her expense. According to reports, the teacher then remarked, "Now what you gonna go home and say to your momma?"

Eventually Cammon did go home and tell her mother what happened . Her mom is now calling for the teacher to lose her job . The teacher has since apologized foracting out of "frustration" and was also issued a $175 fine for disorderly conduct from the local police department. The district attorney, however,has declined to press charges against the teacher .

While I understand teachers are under a great deal of stress on a day-to-day basis, I am truly horrified by this story. If another student cut thegirl's hair, he or she would have been suspended, no questions asked. Yet if it's done by a teacher, who is supposed to serve as a role model, it'schalked up to stress and frustration and punished with a small fine?

I would think the emotional trauma that little girl faced having to stand in the front of the room while she was degraded and mocked is probably somethingshe'll never forget as she goes through school.

From that perspective, the teacher's actions were irresponsible, inexcusable and grounds for suspension, if not termination from the school.

But what do you think? If a teacher cut your child's hair as punishment in front of the class, how would you respond? Would you agree with theteacher's discipline methods and leave it alone or would you fight to have her job? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below

Link

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Way Under The Sun Would I Have Been Able To Restrain Myself From Mopping The Floor With This Ladies Face... SO WHAT THAT SHE'S A WOMAN... SOME LINESJUST DO NOT NEED TO BE CROSSED AND THIS IS ONE OF THEM.

NEIGHB0RH00D wrote:
i would've cut every braid too if she kept annoying me with her hair.

You condone a teacher taking a pair of scissors to a child??? I pray you never have kids and you're blood line ends with you... Seriously.

As an aspiring teacher... I would have hoped another teacher would have slapped her upon finding out...

The whole taunting her afterwards with that "Now what are you gonna do" really would have took me to another level.

She's just traumatized this little girl, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she grew up to have some type of complex against either teachers or adultsof that race.

I know a lot of people see this as an outlandish example of the teacher doing something wrong....but what is really sad is that something like this happened in1st grade! Considering how many teachers there are, the number of these incidents is so small, but these are the ones that make national headlines and stupidlydrive public policy when it comes to campaign time/budget time. This teacher deserves way worse than that fine, she definitely should get suspended from herposition, she is quite incapable of dealing with 1st graders. From an insiders perspective (teaching/working at schools)

I am surprised teachers smacking students or such doesn't happen way more often. If a teacher cannot maintain control of a classroom then the 25-30 otherkids are just wasting their time in there. Sadly, it usually is just one or two kids that really slow down the entire pace of a class to a crawl on a lot ofdays. At a charter school I worked at they did an interesting test, after about 4 months of working with kids it becomes quite apparent which students are theones constantly disrupting the classroom environment negatively.

They took these students put them together in a separate classroom and had 3 teachers and 2 volunteer helpers teach them for the day. The rest of the classesdid amazing without the constant distraction and negative influence set by these few kids. A lot of learning has to happen at the younger grades K-7 for moststudents to have any chance of success at high school and beyond. Just goes to show that one or two kids in a class acting negatively has a much bigger impacton overall education than almost any other factor. Just like a basketball team, if you have one person negative all the time it grates on the overall teamchemistry and growth a lot.

this article is very misleading .... she actually cut off part of a single braid .... Nonetheless I would've gotten the teacher suspended, and most likelyher moms would've wanted to put hands on the teacher

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

this article is very misleading .... she actually cut off part of a single braid .... Nonetheless I would've gotten the teacher suspended, and most likely her moms would've wanted to put hands on the teacher

I don't see how, it says that she cut off a braid, so because it didn't specify how much of the braid was cut its misleading? It also didn'treport that the teacher threw the braid in the garbage in front of her and the entire class room. Which is an entirely different level of disrespect.

That sound that she was making with her hair was probably annoying as %+%%, but that still doesn't excuse her actions.
As a parent I can imagine myself after if my daughter told me that. I'd be straight up shaking with rage. I'd go straight to the
school and after the teacher confirmed it I'd WANT to grab her by her hair and smash it into the blackboard then cut off a big %#+
chunk of her hair.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

this article is very misleading .... she actually cut off part of a single braid .... Nonetheless I would've gotten the teacher suspended, and most likely her moms would've wanted to put hands on the teacher

I don't see how, it says that she cut off a braid, so because it didn't specify how much of the braid was cut its misleading? It also didn't report that the teacher threw the braid in the garbage in front of her and the entire class room. Which is an entirely different level of disrespect.
I'm not saying its not disrespectful and like I said in my post greater action than a fine should have taken place but when I originally readthe article on MTO the title was borderline yellow journalism .... It made it seem like the teacher chopped off all her hair or at least most of it ......

If that was my daughter I would go cut her hair myself...
I can only imagine what my girl would do if it was a female teacher....
She needs to be fired...

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

I don't see how, it says that she cut off a braid, so because it didn't specify how much of the braid was cut its misleading? It also didn't report that the teacher threw the braid in the garbage in front of her and the entire class room. Which is an entirely different level of disrespect.
I'm not saying its not disrespectful and like I said in my post greater action than a fine should have taken place but when I originally read the article on MTO the title was borderline yellow journalism .... It made it seem like the teacher chopped off all her hair or at least most of it ......
Doesn't matter if the teacher cut off a single strand of hair....the line was crossed as soon as the teacher walked over with the scissors. You're potentially talking about a loss of a job or a law suit....this is a terrible matter...you should expect more/better of teachers.....no one shouldget THAT frustrated to the point that you take out your aggression by humiliating one of your students. The teacher deserves whatever punishment that isgiven. Hopefully, a loss of a job.

Another thing about this situation that's really bothering to me is the fact that the child is 6yrs old, she's in 1st grade. Every single 1st grader Iknow is annoying, none of them know how to stop fiddling, moving around, talking or anything that requires a long attention span. I know this and I'm not ateacher, this is something that she had to have known before ever deciding that this was the profession she would partake in. Even if teaching was the onlyline of work she could find she chose to teach this grade/age and to work with this age group, to show such aggression over something so minor is extremelyalarming and disheartening.

Cake you from the crib church, as the child/teen gets worse best believe the teacher is getting worse. I bet worse is going on in Chicago public school system

Back
Top Bottom