Notre Dame @ Boston College - Sat 8PM ET ESPN

Well, it is BC...
eyes.gif
....maybe we can finally take one...last week stillhurts....but a win on the road here could ease that pain as taking 1 outa 2 I woulda taken going in...

A preview..
BC RUNNING GAME VS. ND RUN DEFENSE

The graduated tandem of Andre Callender and L.V. Whitworth combined for 158 yards on 30 carries at Notre Dame last year. They have been replaced by the truefreshman duo of Montel Harris (411 yards, 5.6 yards per carry) and Josh Haden (273 yards, 4.3 ypc). Fullback James McCluskey averages about three carries pergame, and 239-pound QB Chris Crane, who has a team-high seven TDs, has not been reluctant to tuck it and run. He's gained 237 yards on scrambles and evenan occasional option play, but has lost 90 yards on sacks. Notre Dame's run defense has yet to stifle a quality attack, and BC's power game always hasbeen a challenge.

Advantage:
Boston College

clausen_pitt08_200x300.jpg
BC PASSING GAME VS. ND PASS DEFENSE

Crane has had his moments, but he tossed 12 interceptions and only eight TDs through eight games. More notable is the lack of big plays, as three of the topfour receivers have averaged 9.1 yards or less per catch this season. Senior Brandon Robinson has averaged 16.4 yards on his 27 catches. Other than at UNC,pass defense has been an Irish strength.

Advantage: Notre Dame

ND RUNNING GAME VS. BC RUN DEFENSE

Despite experiencing attrition along the front seven with season-ending injuries to linebacker Brian Toal and end Alex Albright, plus the doubtful status ofend Jerry Willette, BC's defensive line and linebacker corps are team strengths. The interior fortress with tackles Ron Brace (324 pounds) and B.J. Raji(323) is particularly formidable, with both expected to pick up substantial NFL paychecks next year. The Irish haven't had a truly potent running effortagainst a respectable defense in several years.

Advantage: Boston College

ND PASSING GAME VS. BC PASS DEFENSE

Boston College lost two of its secondary stalwarts from 2007 (DeJuan Tribble and Jamie Silva) but still ranks No. 12 nationally in pass efficiency. However, ithas played only one really decent passing attack, North Carolina's, and the Cam Sexton-to-Hakeem Nicks combination connected for 26-, 40- and 43-yard TDsin the second quarter alone during the Tar Heels' 45-24 victory. Notre Dame's passing game is more potent than UNC's, with more receiving options.

Advantage: Notre Dame

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Eagles have rank No. 18 in punt returns, highlighted by Rich Gunnell's game-turning 65-yard TD against Virginia Tech. But N.C. State had a 100-yardkick return in the 38-31 loss to BC and Clemson also had a 64-yard return. Kicker Steve Aponavicius was 7 of 12 on field goals, missing from 32 and 37 yards inthe 27-21 loss to Clemson last week. Conversely, Irish kicker Brandon Walker appears to have made a turnaround, but the return game has been a non-factor.

Advantage: Even

COACHING

Jeff Jagodzinski debuted with 11 wins in 2007, the most at Boston College since http://www.blueandgold.com/players/player.cfm?playerid=2283FrankLeahy in 1940, but it's too early to induct him into the College Football Hall of Fame, similar to Charlie Weis' impressive 9-3 maiden voyage in 2005. Jagodzinski has a couple of provencoordinators with Frank Spaziani handling the defense since 1999 and Steve Logan, the head coach at East Carolina from 1992-2002, on offense.

Advantage: Even

INTANGIBLES

Boston College has had Notre Dame's number in this decade and the Eagles always seem to play at their highest level against the Irish. A night game in atraditionally hostile environment versus a potential top-25 team is never an easy proposition. We'd be surprised if Notre Dame doesn't match theEagles' intensity this time. Notre Dame has a history of rising to the occasion as underdogs in November games on the road when people are down on them (atLSU in 1984 and 1997, at Tennessee in 2004). Of course, it's not necessarily a positive to be linked with the Gerry Faust, Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham eras.

Advantage: Boston College

ANALYSIS

Very similar to last week against Pitt in that it's a "pick 'em." If progress is to become more tangible in the Irish program, this is thetype of road game that needs to be won, especially after having lost five straight to the Eagles. BC falls into the Michigan State or North Carolina genre asfar as being a potential top-25 finisher, and the road trip adds to Notre Dame's degree of difficulty. This provides another "coming of age"opportunity. One stat that absolutely has to change is Notre Dame has forced only one turnover in three road games this year while committing nine.

Personally, I have no idea what happens.

Two things are for sure tho...Tate and Floyd will find the end zone and make plays...everything else is a crapshoot at this point.

My optimistic approach..
ND - 28
BC - 24

If we didn't ##!* all over ourselves we'd be 7-1...which leads me to the point that these kids have to learn to FINISH, and A LOT of blame falls on thestaff...

I heard something about Golden in a wildog formation
nerd.gif
....not buyin itwith Charlie's offense.

anyway, gameday
pimp.gif

Notre Dame against a team with a winning record? ... Boston College FTW
laugh.gif

Charlie is on the hot seat, starting now. Period.

Mike you aint got no ability to laugh at ND, lol.

No heart? he's one of the few kids on this team with heart

kid is having a tough night on the road...nothing more, nothing less.

My concerns are more with the staff then with him.

Clausen is garbage and Charlie just stokes his confidence.

If we don't win it all in two years, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Jimmy and Golden will be seniors and Floyd a junior. If that trio can get things going, we can go places.

^ Eh I was just pretty pissed. We looked horrible this game, and to me it came down to the O-Line getting destroyed by BC, and Clausen have a horrendous game,both with his accuracy, and his decision making. He just didn't make a play, the no heart comment came from the fact that he just looked like he was goingthrough the motions out there.

I'm not too worried about the coaching staff at this point, the D played well, and the offense was put in positions to succeed, the execution washorrendous, and again the O-Line was physically dominated, I don't see how you can put that on the coaches.

Dissappointing season, because 9 wins was a real possibility. I just hope we make a bowl game at this point.

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Clausen is garbage and Charlie just stokes his confidence.

If we don't win it all in two years, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Jimmy and Golden will be seniors and Floyd a junior. If that trio can get things going, we can go places.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

If we don't win 10 next year, Charlie is out....

sounds far fetched but look at the schedule..

What're they gonna do, buy him out of the next 8 years?

Giving him that contract was the dumbest thing Notre Dame has ever done.

Back
Top Bottom