NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

Check it..we all need to be thinkin like my dude Frantz Fanon 
WretchedOfTheEarth.JPG

check out Black Face, White Masks also 

Originally Posted by JPioneer

Picking up the Autobiography of Malcolm X today. I've read one book in the last 2 years
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I guess as a review, Spike lee said "... It changed the way I thought; the way I acted. It has given me the courage that I didn't know I had inside me."[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Those are my sentiments EXACTLY. This book has had a profound impact on me. Encompassing that with my own research to questions I thought of etc, I haven't been the same person since.[/color]
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JPioneer

Picking up the Autobiography of Malcolm X today. I've read one book in the last 2 years
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I guess as a review, Spike lee said "... It changed the way I thought; the way I acted. It has given me the courage that I didn't know I had inside me."[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Those are my sentiments EXACTLY. This book has had a profound impact on me. Encompassing that with my own research to questions I thought of etc, I haven't been the same person since.[/color]
laugh.gif

This book will change your way of thinking:
51gVVChImaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Quinn has written quite a few books on the matter. The trilogy (Ishmael, Story of B, and My Ishmael) are all laying the infrastructure for his book Beyond Civilization(GREAT book btw).  There's more, but start with these. After you pick Ishmael up, you probably won't be able to put it down. These books are over 10 years old and are still so mind blowing that it's kind of odd that they're not talked about like more recent works like Super Freakonomics and other works.

laugh.gif
it's insane how long my reading list has become. I'll never get through it, but it's about the journey, not the goal.

This book will change your way of thinking:
51gVVChImaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Quinn has written quite a few books on the matter. The trilogy (Ishmael, Story of B, and My Ishmael) are all laying the infrastructure for his book Beyond Civilization(GREAT book btw).  There's more, but start with these. After you pick Ishmael up, you probably won't be able to put it down. These books are over 10 years old and are still so mind blowing that it's kind of odd that they're not talked about like more recent works like Super Freakonomics and other works.

laugh.gif
it's insane how long my reading list has become. I'll never get through it, but it's about the journey, not the goal.

Originally Posted by Budweiser

endersgame.jpg

Not a big sci-fi guy at all, but this is supposed to be one of the best.

good book i read it close to damn near 10 years ago
laugh.gif
 it was on my 6th period english teachers shelves
i never got around to checking if there are any sequels might have to look into it

any horror fans check Richard Laymon 

right now im reading the bourne objective by Robert Ludlum

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

Yea dude/dudet I've already read the first two books in the trilogy. . 
Unfortunately the second book in the trilogy was not nearly as good as the first one, albeit the author decided to leave the second book with a huge cliffhanger. Forcing the reader to read the 3rd and final installment in the trilogy. 

The republic was also a good read, however Plato's "perfect world" or "utopia" is just that a perfect world and a utopia. He is able to give the reader something to slug through however like any other philosopher he is just putting his thoughts and ideas into a book. 

If you are into philosophy I would recommend Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche. . . Hes a real prick.

1984 is on my list but who knows when I'll get to it. I feel as though it is impossible to complete a list a books that I want to read.

I'm a Philosophy major, I love Nietzsche, dude is something else
laugh.gif

I'm currently taking a Philosophy of Religion I/God and Reason course and my professor gave us bits and pieces of Nietzsches works to read. But I did buy the book.
Spurs: Nietzsche Styles is also a really good book, it's rather short and quick to read.

My friend is a Eng/Lit major and we always talk how it seems impossible to get to a decent amount of the list of books that we want to read.

I found it quite interesting that you assumed I started with the last book of a trilogy. Logically that makes absolutely no sense at all.
Philosophy is cool in all but I feel that it has no true backbone. Here and there you come across a philosopher that really gets you thinking eg: Nietzsche more or less because of his attitude then what he was actually writing about. Most philosophers are hypercritical not because they choose to be but because many of their ideals are not practical. But whatever keeps you happy, Cheers!

I've turned a lot of "educational" reading to physics "An elegant Universe" , "A brief History in time" "Einstein: "His life and Universe". It has more of a backbone then philosophy but often times presents the same issues regarding humanity. Plus I like getting mind blown. 

I think the next series of books I'll try get through will focus on "Hyper reality". 

Reading is great just because its a thirst you can never quench. 
Not at all, I was letting the OP know that the book you posted was the last in the series, it wasn't all that logical to mention it instead of the 1st book
grin.gif

I do enjoy physics and it does bring up some issues.....but to each his own

Reading Hope they serve beer in he%^ . Pretty good so far. Tucker Max is kinda pretentious, but he speaks what's on most dudes' mind's

Not much of a reader but I saw a few titles in here I'll check out. Greatly appreciated

Just finished the alchemist
pimp.gif
, will start Carte Blanche tomorrow, after that King Solomons mines

BlackMassIrishMobFBI.jpg

Tells the story of Wh1tey Bulger and Irish/Italian gangs in Boston. Wh1tey pretty much played the FBI like a fiddle. Used them to destroy the Italin mob and keep himself from being a top priority of law enforcement. His brother was the state senate president. He was having sunday dinners with fbi special agents. All the while he was controlling nearly all organized crime in Boston.
pimp.gif

The movie the Departed is vert loosely based on this story.

Reading 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

seriously though, been doing a lot of it lately. This week:

Da Vinci Code- You. Can't. Put. This. +$#!$. Down. Haven't been completely enthralled by a book since HP7 sonnn. A must read!

Assh\oles Finish First- I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell is the most entertaining book I've ever read. I don't typically laugh at books, TV, or stuff like that. It usually seems too forced. I dieeed reading that book man.Tucker Max is hilarious, and a good writer. You can't not love that book. Now, I said that book. IHTSBIH was classssic. !+%*$@%+ finish first was: hilarious. Less "legendary" stories in this book. But the comedic writing is spot on. And that's why I read these books.The quips in this are just too much, toooo many quotables man. 

Sacred Hoops- Phil Jackson's Book. I wanted to read Maverick, Phil's biography type *+#, but I heard about this book in Hard Sell in an interesting reference, so it jumped up the list

Great book! In a sports-psychology-that-can-relate-to-life type of way, it was provocative and it inspires a different type of thinking. I'm into liberalhippebull**** though 
laugh.gif
 zen/buddhism 
pimp.gif

I wanna get into meditation man

Hard Sell(the book that Love and Other drugs was based on)- eh. Book was cool. But the author just screamed "CORNY", coupled with "I try to hard to be cool
glasses.gif
" type. Interesting though

I started reading Killing Pablo last week. It read like a dull anthro book, had to put it down. Too slow for me. I wanna continue it later though, I like the subject and I've heard good things.

Picked up Catcher In The Rye from the library for nostalgic purposes. Innocence 
pimp.gif

Along with another Salinger book; a short story collection I've heard nothing about

I'm trying to get into The Outsiders, The Alchemist, Monster (LA-gang-related book), Flashfoward by Robert Sawyer, Autobio of Malcom X, and Freakonomics (sp?)

Those are off the top of my head, I have a decent sized read list in my phone.

Any recommendations?

As i mentioned, Ima fan of Harry Potter, and anything to do with sex, hard drugs, and hip hop. I also appreciate well written autobio's of interesting people. Annnd I'm a business/marketing

major, so sales? Maybe? I'd love to read a good Boiler Room type of book 
nerd.gif

Head to your local underutilized library, grab some books n *!!$. Keep reading bros, it's something we don't do enough. 
glasses.gif

Gomorrah_by_robertosaviano.jpg

just copped on Amazon for like $4...pretty good read from the first couple of pages...imma have to check out that Black Mass...i love %*!@ like that...any more recommendations??? 

Just finished 1984. Great book, eye opening especially for someone not well-versed in different government structures. Plus if you have played Half-Life 2, its easy to see the similarities between the two.
Just started The Informant! Yeah, there was a movie based on this and it's a true story -- interesting so far.

Anybody have any recommendations for someone who liked all of the Dan Brown Novels and is interested in biblical history and the meaning of life? Indiana Jones type stuff 

Originally Posted by kickstart

Currently reading Brainwashed by Tom Burrell
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]
Book has me pretty pissed so far...

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail.. Pretty pissed? Elaborate![/color]

Back
Top Bottom