NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

Finished the Lenin read. It was laboring, and I consider myself a history buff. Basically the main lesson or belief is that the ends justify the means. Also Lenin will inextricably be linked to the creation and rise of Stalin.

Moved to "Leaders" by General McChrystal. So far, so good. He's touched on different types of leadership styles. Such as General Robert E. Lee, Julius Caesar, Einstein, Lenny Bernstein, Walt Disney and Coco Chanel.

Added to collection:
"Our Man" by George Packer (Richard Holbrooke).
"Conde Nast" by Susan Ronald.

Was recommend "Eastern Approaches" by Fitzroy Maclean. Said to have influenced James Bond.

Been on a small thriller binge lately. Just finished The Power of The Dog, and The Cartel by Don Winslow.

I’m onto the 3rd and final book in the series called Boarder Town.

My next book is probably Black Leopard Red Wolf.

When it comes to studying for my CCNA. I use my tablet.. adobe reader

I use audible for books I know I won't enjoy reading but through word of mouth I've heard great things about.

And books I know I'll like.. ill read those physical.

Just finished Lord of my land by jay Morrison
Working on colorism...

Since I heard that nipsey hussle gave
"Message to the black man" to T.I.
ive been interested in reading that.. have that book coming my way

Which platform are y’all using to read books ibooks, kindle, or physical copies?
Digital using the Kindle app on my phone. I used to be 100% physical until I was trying to read a few books and didn’t feel like carrying all the books

Starting Everything Under by Daisy Johnson. Only ten pages in but this **** rocks so far. Starts off with a first person-second person hybrid narration of a daughter talking to her mother with Alzheimer’s. Seems like this book is gonna get raw and go hard based on the summary.

What are y'alls favorite fiction books of all time? I'd go with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series followed closely by the Red Sparrow series.

Heading on vacation next week and need to grab a new book or two. Edit - looks like Tiamat's Wrath has great reviews. Def grabbing that.

Last edited:
What are y'alls favorite fiction books of all time? I'd go with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series followed closely by the Red Sparrow series.

Heading on vacation next week and need to grab a new book or two. Edit - looks like Tiamat's Wrath has great reviews. Def grabbing that.

Invisible Man
Native Son
The Alchemist

Im currently reading - The Wife Between Us

Grine Grine can you talk more about native son and what you liked about it? I’ve never read it but we have it at work and no one teaches it so I might just pick it up at some point this summer and see if I could do anything with it.

Grine Grine can you talk more about native son and what you liked about it? I’ve never read it but we have it at work and no one teaches it so I might just pick it up at some point this summer and see if I could do anything with it.

Wright was one of the first African American author I read as a young teenager, I was introduced to this book by my grandmother. She was an English and History educator/principal.

It’s a story based of a male youth in Chicago and the typical inner city story of the 30’s- racial, a plot against someone, and then turns into a suspense because of fear and panic :lol: Yet, he had no remorse for what he done as if it was injustice and fit. It was raw and full of rage. Now as I think about it, Bigger (the main character) was shown his development as a true sociopath.

I could and can imagine why the book was not a choice of reading especially during that time. The very fear that America has painted of a young black inner city male was detailed in the book. Also, I think Wright was a follower of Marxism, it’s spilled in his writing.

This book has led me to my love for Walter Mosley, although Walter’s books are mostly mystery’s and a mild suspense but never have I read something so raw as Native Son from an African American author...

I’ve read that book maybe 5-6 times. It never gotten old for me.

Last edited:
Latest issue of Foreign Affairs.

Some essays on globalism vs nationalism. Some essays on current geopolitics. Not a bad issue but some of the arguments for either side aren't great or well researched.

I’ve become a snob with journalism especially and can’t read anything that’s not well researched and written. New Yorker ruined me.

40846564.jpg
43531103.jpg

40524312.jpg
35820369.jpg

I'm starting to think about doing audio books...

Do you all get the same experience from listening to a book vs reading it?

Just finished Everything Under by Daisy Johnson. Wow. Phenomenal read. A mystery story about a daughter trying to find her mother with Alzheimer’s lumped in with a retelling of Oedipus. Fantastic.

Might start The Long Take next by Robin johnson.

Back
Top Bottom