NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

69.JPG
70.JPG
71.JPG
72.JPG

Was burnt out after the school year ended and took a break from reading. Back on the grind now.

Finish a streetcar named desire and hot milk. Thoroughly enjoyed both. On deck I’ve got the nickel boys by Colson Whitehead and no one belongs here more than you. Short stories by Miranda July. Got the sellout on deck after these two. Let’s get it baby.

Nickel Boys was such an awesome harrowing read. How’ you like the new Coates book?

btw I absolute abhorred there there. Thought it was a complete piece of crap tam hat only received the notoriety it did because of white guilt. There was nothing Pulitzer nominee worthy about that lazy hackneyed novel.

currently reading the sellout by Paul Beatty. So well written and ironic. Fantastic piece of fiction.

Nickel Boys was such an awesome harrowing read. How’ you like the new Coates book?

btw I absolute abhorred there there. Thought it was a complete piece of crap tam hat only received the notoriety it did because of white guilt. There was nothing Pulitzer nominee worthy about that lazy hackneyed novel.

currently reading the sellout by Paul Beatty. So well written and ironic. Fantastic piece of fiction.

If you liked Nickel Boys or Underground Railroad, you'll enjoy The Water Dancer, which I preferred more. His writing puts you directly in the room/setting. I'd recommend it.

There There was modern Native Americana :lol:
This Is How You Lose The Time War and Gingerbread were koo :smokin
Talking to Strangers and Normal People were solid :nthat:
Underland and Dark Constellations were a great change from the usuals :pimp:

How's Iger's book so far?

Just about wrapping it up. He goes down the path of what occurred that placed him in his current position and how he went about acquiring every heavy-hitter in the game in intimate detail

Underground Railroad was ok. Got too digressive at the end but the scenes when she’s free but captive in the attic we’re so emotionally draining.

Been on a Zadie Smith kick

read White Teeth outstanding
Finishing up NW. love it. Fantastic story about finding your place in a low income community in north west London.

My wife wants me to read the handmaids tale next since she’s finishing up the testaments. Still have the water dancer, mcglue and a bunch of other books on the list in front of it though.

Totally forgot about this thread. Can't wait to get back into all the recommendations . Anyway, I switch genres after each book and am currently reading the Poe Daemeron Star Wars book in preparation for Episode 9. Really good so far and is expanding the lore and the character depth for a lot of characters that will be in episode 9.

For my book of the year, I was thinking long and hard on what has stuck with me since I read it earlier this year. The only book that comes to mind time and time again is White Tears by Hari Kunzru. I read it and then listened to the audiobook a few months later. It was that good. It came out in 2017, but I read it this past January. It really, really has stuck with me. A little blurb on it sums it up quite well, save for the horror elements :

White Tears is a ghost story, a terrifying murder mystery, a timely meditation on race, and a love letter to all the forgotten geniuses of American music and Delta Mississippi Blues.

51N3Ty14xHL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It reminded me a bit of Universal Harvester from John Darnielle which was my favorite book of 2018.

I guess I like these rooted in mystery Americana books where the people are messed up, but not inherently bad people.
If anyone has read either of those books and has any recommendations for me, I'm all ears. I'm looking for my next book to read as soon as I get done the Star Wars book.

I just finished two books I would recommend to anyone interested in fiction.....

9443405.jpg
9789734650880_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Both phenomenal novels about the human condition, our motivations and truths that we hide from ourselves.

I just finished two books I would recommend to anyone interested in fiction.....

9443405.jpg
9789734650880_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Both phenomenal novels about the human condition, our motivations and truths that we hide from ourselves.
I’ve been slowly opening myself up to DFW’s short stories. Prolific writer.
Currently working through Jane Eyre for the first time, rereading Gatsby and NT’s favorite Norwegian Wood. Looking to have them finished next week since I’m off.

Back
Top Bottom