NT Book Thread: The More You Know--Summer Edition : 30% off INSTORE AND ONLINE COUPON PG6 EXP 7/2

I'm currently reading Fatherland by Robert Harris and The End of Reason by Sam Harris.

I've also got Fahrenheit 451, The Man in the High Castle and In Defence of Atheism to read once they're completed.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books in the mould of 1984 or similar, dystopian future, police state, oppression of the masses etc. thatsort of thing. Cheers chaps.

Im looking to get Killing Pablo about Pablo Escobar, has anyone read it? also what other good civil right books are there? Im just getting round to readingMalcolm X now

peoples history of the united states by howard zinn... anyone read this? I was thinking about starting it soon. By the way all of Chuck P's books arepretty amazing, my personal favorite is Survivor.

audio book FTW!

and if you havent ventured the thought, yall better get on "Liberty and Tyranny" by Mark Levin ... one of the best books ive ever read ...

I always love these threads
smokin.gif

I'm in the mood to read a biography anyone have any suggestions?

To the dude that asked about dystopias, two that I've read and really enjoyed are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (sp?). AlsoI've been meaning to read The Iron Heel by jack London which is supposedly in the same mold.

As far as biographies, there have been a ton written about Abe Lincoln recently, and I thought Lincoln: Biography of a Writer was good... Can't rememberthe author though.

Originally Posted by DLo13

and hopefully get around to reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

Has anyone read this one yet? It's been on my list since it came out. Thought I might pick it up over the weekend...

I was going to read the tipping point by him. Anybody else heard anything about that?
School me on outliers.

anyways.. 2 new pickups (recommended for my marketing/business savvy dudes):

bookus.jpg

400000000000000049634_s4.jpg

Im gonna have alot of free time during the summer might as well do something constructive. keep the recommendation coming.

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

I always love these threads
smokin.gif

I'm in the mood to read a biography anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know if you care for baseball at all, but I recommend A Leftys Legacy by Jane Leavy. It's a bio of Sandy Koufax, it has a lot of non baseballstories from his life in there, I read it quite a few times back in HS. I think I need to read it again.

I'm going to print out 3 of those borders coupons and cop Becoming Manny, Shutter Island and Public Enemies. The latter two because I want to see the filmsbut I have enough time to read the original stories before they release in the fall.

Any thoughts on either titles?

Originally Posted by djaman

I'm currently on a George Orwell run. I feel he is a guy I need to become familiarized with since he was a brilliant mind.

Can anyone recommend something "fun?" Something that is interesting and informative? Excuse my broad inquisition.
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk is a great book with tons of dark comedy and it actually gives a lot of great household cleaning tips like how to getsemen out of couches.

I'm currently reading Shutter Island, pretty go so far only 50 pages in. Good looks on that coupon I'll buy The Alchemist.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

anyone know when The Lost Symbol will be available or is it already?
Some time in September, check Amazon.com for the exact date. Can't wait though, Dan Brown plus Robert Langdon equals win.

I don't read too many books, but Angela's Ashes is one of the few books that I've liked.

Books I plan to read for the summer:

Animal Farm by George Orwell
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Lord of Flies by William Golding
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

and if I finish those before the summer ends which I probably will, I'll probably add:

The Bridges of Madison County and Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Red Dragon to my list.

Originally Posted by solidsnake

Im looking to get Killing Pablo about Pablo Escobar, has anyone read it? also what other good civil right books are there? Im just getting round to reading Malcolm X now

It's well written and very informative. I just reread John Grisham's Runaway Jury for the fourth time. and I'm currently on this right here:

51MTQGRV1FL._SS500_.jpg

Really good read. A bunch of great authors.

For whoever wanted some good George Orwell stuff. Go out and get 1984. If you haven't read that you haven't read George Orwell.

Back
Top Bottom