NT: Car Opions Lexus GS vs. Acura TL

Sup NT,

Just needs some opinions. 

I'm debating whether to bite the bullet on buying a 2004 Acura TL 6-speed with NAVI for $16k in black or waiting a year or two and saving up a little more to get a 2007 Lexus GS 350.

So overall, I guess it's TL vs. GS post.

I know these cars are catered towards two different segments but I just want an opinion (especially from owners) on their opinions on these cars overall.

pass on the 04 (****** problems) copp a 07 TL w/navi best bang for your buck.

im copping a TL next year for my bday wdp w/ebony interior

the price difference is 10K+ between the 2 cars. If you really don't need a car yet save up and get a GS350. Much smoother ride. The 04 TL is also a good ride, but they did have ****** problem and was recalled. If you do decide with the TL go with 05+ just so you don't have to worry about the ****** going out on you.

I haven't driven the GS, but I really like the TL every time I drive it.

Styling wise I prefer the Acura as well, and like I said, it's a real pleasure to drive.

I have a 99 tl, and I know someone with a newer one (I think 04 Type S). DO NOT buy the TL. It rides well and is comfortable, but the overall quality of the car is garbage. Theres a clear coat failure issue in many TL's, my paint looks terrible because of it. Same with my friend's type S. The build quality of the car is nowhere near that of a Lexus. Save up and get the GS, itll last long and hold up better.

Have you looked at Acura RL's? After I crashed my car last year it was between a A4, a TL & and a GS I ended up going for an RL after the test drive they come as fully loaded GS models they're just a bit smaller in the front (I'm 6'1 & I fit comfortable in my RL). The RL was cheaper than the GS but about $3700 more than the TL so I did end up paying more than I intended but the GS would have put me back about $7K rather than close to $4K. It depends on your budget, everybodys situation is different.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

I have a 99 tl, and I know someone with a newer one (I think 04 Type S). DO NOT buy the TL. It rides well and is comfortable, but the overall quality of the car is garbage. Theres a clear coat failure issue in many TL's, my paint looks terrible because of it. Same with my friend's type S. The build quality of the car is nowhere near that of a Lexus. Save up and get the GS, itll last long and hold up better.
TLs didnt come back with type s til 07 fam. i stopped reading after that.

again, if you want the most bang for your buck, cop an 07 TL (type s if you can afford it) make sure you get navi. all the features that come in a TL standard you pay extra in other vechiles.

but the TL and GS arent even in the same class though. if you would have said 3series or a4. but its like trying to decide between a tacoma and an f350

Originally Posted by doosta45

again, if you want the most bang for your buck, cop an 07 TL (type s if you can afford it) make sure you get navi. all the features that come in a TL standard you pay extra in other vechiles.

but the TL and GS arent even in the same class though. if you would have said 3series or a4. but its like trying to decide between a tacoma and an f350
eyes.gif
My bad my good man, his must be a 03 then. I just knew it was the last type s before the generation change, but it was after the 99 (Diff headlights/cleared out tails instead of amber)

Between 04 TL and a GS, theres no question that the GS is a better buy, if hes willing to wait and save the money.

The newer TLs before the current gen are nice, but I personally would go with Lexus. I'm not pleased with Acura's build quality after seeing all the old TL's around my way and how theyre holding up. Mechanically theyre fantastic-no argument there.

if dude can afford the GS all power to him. i guess im deadset on TL since im copping one next year.

but dude wants an 04 TL or an 07 GS. 04s have the same ****** problems as the 2nd gens and some 05s also. i say go test drive an 07/08 TL (s also) and an 07 GS and see what you like.

it's true the 99-03's had trans problem, even upto some of the new 04's, but the 6 speed was always a good trans. even on the cl-s's in 03 the 6 spd never had problems.

i would get the TL 6 mt if you are looking for more fun but if you are the type to just cruise and have a good ride get the gs. i would go for the TL though if ur <30. it's also more efficient than the gs mpg wise and probably faster.

damn i'm in the same boat, i've been looking at an 07 tl, but i don't if i should pull the trigger

Originally Posted by Mag1c12783

Sup NT,

Just needs some opinions. 

I'm debating whether to bite the bullet on buying a 2004 Acura TL 6-speed with NAVI for $16k in black or waiting a year or two and saving up a little more to get a 2007 Lexus GS 350.

So overall, I guess it's TL vs. GS post.

I know these cars are catered towards two different segments but I just want an opinion (especially from owners) on their opinions on these cars overall.
Not at all man get the 97 GS, swap out the engine with the 2JZ (supra engine) and with the leftover money hook it up make it look nice
some nice rims good music n clean paintjob.. all that will be much cheaper and you'd have a car capable of beating even the newest cars

really?  i coulda sworn i saw some TL type s's when shopping with my mom for her TL back in like 02
i'd go with the lex though

Originally Posted by bjamez20

really?  i coulda sworn i saw some TL type s's when shopping with my mom for her TL back in like 02
i'd go with the lex though
02-03 TL-S were offered.  04-06 type s was not an option for the TL.  07 is when the TL-S was back.

Back
Top Bottom