NT Community Service Thread: Volume Giving Back

I keep saying, "I need to do more for my people." But I never do it. I always have an excuse.

Seeing stuff like this makes me feel terrible inside because I could be doing more.

So we can use this thread to talk about community service projects in and around your areas and projects that you all are leading. We all can do more man.

I painted over the gang graffiti and cleaned up my local skatespot slash ravine now police dont patrol the area and harassing young kids coming from the store and from playing bball.

Nice post DC, and that video, that is what humanity is about 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This thanksgiving and Christmas, I'll be out of my home lending a helping hand (some NT'ers post a little while ago inspired me). Already told my family not to buy me !%+@ for the holidays.. Serving people instead of yourself is such a wonderful feeling man. I do small things here and there for random individuals (swipe them on the train, pay for an item if they're short) but I wanna do something much bigger 

Patrick Beverly, good stuff man. I think I should attach myself to a long term project. Like visiting a Old Folks shelter twice a month or going down to the local animal shelter and spend some time with the homeless cats/dogs.

Been volunteering at Bethesda North Hospital in Cincinnati. Prior to that, I tutored elementary school kids with learning deficiencies.

thats whats up i wish i would have known about it. i sure would have been down there. i love helping out. homeless walk in nov...for all you dc heads.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Nice post DC, and that video, that is what humanity is about 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This thanksgiving and Christmas, I'll be out of my home lending a helping hand (some NT'ers post a little while ago inspired me). Already told my family not to buy me @#+@ for the holidays.. Serving people instead of yourself is such a wonderful feeling man. I do small things here and there for random individuals (swipe them on the train, pay for an item if they're short) but I wanna do something much bigger 

Though I'm disappointed that you're not living up to your s/n (P.B. is THAT dude), more people should help others out.

Selflessness.
pimp.gif

*Takes notes*

Habitat for Humanity. Look int your local chapter. It is fun to do, you are with a group of people, get some mild exercise in the process, and the results are discernible and lasting.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Patrick Beverly, good stuff man. I think I should attach myself to a long term project. Like visiting a Old Folks shelter twice a month or going down to the local animal shelter and spend some time with the homeless cats/dogs.

I was with u till u started talkin bout cats n dogs
laugh.gif
... Ive rescued several sgrays n dont get me wrong its fufulling n sumthin that needs more focus on around many netropolitian areas w/ the amount of strays etc but cmon fam... Jus go to ur local YMCA... All of os,have after school programs, sports programs for young kids etc and its all non profit so theres alwaysss a shortage of staff. Also check the listing for big brother programs around u, or start one... Id much rather see sumone like urself with,a,head,on,his,shoulders getting involved with kids young enough that it could actually make a difference... Ud,be suprised how few of some of these kidshave role models at all let alone young, "cool" ones that they can,actually relate/aspire to be like. Sumtimes identifying themselves with sumone whose doin alright n doin the right,things can make all the difference n the world....Good post, good luck

I tried to started an organization to help Single Mothers and children in the area.  I was working with a local church and started some clothing drives, toy drives, school supply drives and such.  I had to put some of the efforts on the back burner and focus on myself after the last year, but I am getting the itch to get back into it.

Just A Hand

Article about a lady with a good cause as well.

It's really refreshing to see such a positive, productive thread on NT.  Great responses so far.  Here are some of the organizations I've volunteered with over the years.

- NIKE Junior Hoops League
- Start Making A Reader Today (S.M.A.R.T.)
- Children's Museum of Houston
- Salvation Army
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- YMCA
- University of Houston - Downtown / Center for Public Deliberation

I've done plenty to work with the community and continue to do so, with my new project.
Various ethnic advocacy groups

Various non-profit organizations

Boys and Girls Clubs

YMCAs

Church Organizations (through their Holiday Drives and Homeless programs)

Food Banks

Homeless Shelters

Just continue doing what you can to support your local communities. Even something small like cleaning up a park or raising money for a local charity, makes a big difference.

uncle phil sighting 0:16

nice to see what theyre doing. im all for happiness but serving all that fatty stuff... :/

*flame suit on*

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

laugh.gif
... Ive rescued several sgrays n dont get me wrong its fufulling n sumthin that needs more focus on around many netropolitian areas w/ the amount of strays etc but cmon fam... Jus go to ur local YMCA... All of os,have after school programs, sports programs for young kids etc and its all non profit so theres alwaysss a shortage of staff. Also check the listing for big brother programs around u, or start one... Id much rather see sumone like urself with,a,head,on,his,shoulders getting involved with kids young enough that it could actually make a difference... Ud,be suprised how few of some of these kidshave role models at all let alone young, "cool" ones that they can,actually relate/aspire to be like. Sumtimes identifying themselves with sumone whose doin alright n doin the right,things can make all the difference n the world....Good post, good luck

Just did some volunteer work at the childrens hospital in Chicago. Fun times. Those kids are pretty cool. Cant wait to go back again

Last week, I volunteered for Club21, it's an organization for kids with down syndrome. I taught two kids how to ride bikes.

Amazing experience, seeing how proud their parents were when they saw their kids riding... unreal.

laugh.gif
... Ive rescued several sgrays n dont get me wrong its fufulling n sumthin that needs more focus on around many netropolitian areas w/ the amount of strays etc but cmon fam.
What do you mean come on? Nobody should be ignored. I work with kids already, not sure why animals shouldn't be taken seriously as well.

Good looking out OP!
This got my juices flowing 
pimp.gif

I have a 3 month break until I start school...

Haven't done Community Service or anything of that matter for over a year now.

Let's get it done NT fam'! 
happy.gif

laugh.gif
... Ive rescued several sgrays n dont get me wrong its fufulling n sumthin that needs more focus on around many netropolitian areas w/ the amount of strays etc but cmon fam.
What do you mean come on? Nobody should be ignored. I work with kids already, not sure why animals shouldn't be taken seriously as well.

I volunteer at my local no kill shelter, Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society (P.A.W.S.) - http://phillypaws.org/

Back
Top Bottom