NT Computer heads, need help with harddrive on new computer..

Discussion in 'General' started by ii jovo ii, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ii jovo ii

ii jovo ii

I took out the hard drive to my old computer, and hooked it up to my newer pc. The current pc reads the new hard drive, notifys it, but now when i go to viewsome files like pictures it states "I cannot open file because i do not have access to this file" what do i do? I guess i need to change settingssomewhere somehow?

Its appreciated..

2. jdocs

jdocs

3. ii jovo ii

ii jovo ii

Its being recognized as local disk F

4. jdocs

jdocs

Did you turn it into a Slave drive by moving that little connector thing on the HD?

5. milestailsprowe

milestailsprowe

Go to control center and partion the drive. Since you took it from a old computer you just need to format the drive.

6. ii jovo ii

ii jovo ii

Sorry it took me a while to respond, but i didnt slave the second drive. Also, the older HD was using windows 98 OP system, vs the new HD is operating withVista. Could that be an issue? I dont want to format the second drive, i actually want to view and keep the files. I didnt see a tab on the HD to slave itmanually..

7. milestailsprowe

milestailsprowe

If you want to keep your old files you need a HDD dock
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=4643202027&ref=pd_sl_36e44juach_b
    but that dosent always work and might not work because it is a old drive

U cant just stick one harddrive from one computer to another because of the differences in OS's,parts and more are written on the harddrive. So either

1. Format the drive so you can use it
    2. stick the old drive back in the old computer and move things over piece by piece
    3.Buy a dock and move things over.

8. wadewilson

wadewilson

go to properties an add yourself as the owner to view the pictures