NT Cooking School vol. ENROLL NOW

Whats up NT I was a member way back in like 01-03 when I joined the Air Force lost my login in and been lurkin ever since.. I'm a big time home cook andlooking at threads like Dressing Better teaching dudes how to do just that and seeing a lot of threads about food w/ dudes saying "I wish I knew how tocook" I thought it was time. I am in no way a chef but I cook a lot and the purpose of this is to get NT cooking GOOD FOOD. I'm try and post a newrecipe and pics a couple times a week w/ advice and other tidbits of info. But you guys can do the same I know its some chefs/cooks on NT so all advice iswelcome. So when I post something you guys try to cook switch it up try different ingredients and what not and let us know how it turned out. If you guys havequestions, comments, or whatever about food this is the place. So here we go NT I know a lot of members are of Asian/Pacific Islander decent so I decided tostart off paying homage to you guys.
Sweet and Spicy Tofu (you don't have to do tofu try chicken, pork, beef ect...)

Ingredients
2 ½ tablespoons oil
1 package (14 ounce) firm tofu
1 red onion halved and sliced
1 bell pepper sliced (Red or Yellow for more color)
1 Jalapeño or local pepper (seeded and chopped)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 cup hot water
3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Rice for serving

1. Drain the tofu, place it on a dry surface, and weigh it down with two or three dinner plates for one hour, draining every few minutes.After time is up, chop tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.

2. Heat peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Toss the tofu into the oil, and cook until browned on all sides.Once browned, toss in onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic; cook until just tender, about 5 minutes.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the hot water, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, cornstarch, and red pepper flakes. Pour over tofuand vegetables, toss to coat, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens slightly. Serve with rice.

Heres a link on how to cook rice
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesecookingbasics/ss/cook_rice_photo.htm

Finished Product- Tasted Great 8.5/10

Living off campus this year made me a beast in the kitchen
laugh.gif

Curry Chicken ftw
pimp.gif

i got a crazy curry shrimp recipe but its a lil more complex so ima chill know out some of these simple dishes

1 english muffin
1 slice of cheese (or 2
devil.gif
)

cut english muffin (thomas' of course
pimp.gif
)in two slices.
put slice(s) of cheese in the english muffin.
bake in oven.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[size=+2]Got this from the web I have my recipe in my head and didn't want to type it out so this was theclosest to mine. the thing is that shrimp only takes a couple minutes no more so add it at the end and when you sautee that garlic keep it moving around soyou dont burn it cuz aint nothing worse that burnt garlic in your food
Curry Shrimp

Ingredients
[/size]
2 lbs medium shrimp shelled and deveined

2 tablespoons curry

2 cloves garlic

2 medium onions diced

3 sweet pepper diced (1red 1green 1yellow)

3 tablespoon oil

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon cornstarch

3 stalks escallion crushed

1 green scotch bonnet pepper (hot pepper) finely chopped

1 medium potato (diced)

1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon jerk sauce or meat seasoning

1/2 lb tomato cut in wedges

[size=+2]Method[/size]

Heat oil in a frying and add crushed garlic and curry, stir-fry until it begins to simmer and smell. Do not burn. Add salt, scotchbonnet pepper, jerk sauce, escallion to stir-fry for 1 minute. Add water and potatoes simmer until potatoes are cooked and add shrimp. Cook for no longer than5 minutes. Add diced onions, sweet pepper and cornstarch mixed with tablespoon water. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until gravy thickens (if too thickadd a little water)Turn off heat and stir in tomato wedges and serve with white rice

Props to the ops for using a tofu recipe...before I clicked on the thread I was thinking "great, I bet it will be all meat though"

ima have to try this

Originally Posted by 5thGearidah

Props to the ops for using a tofu recipe...before I clicked on the thread I was thinking "great, I bet it will be all meat though"

ima have to try this

Mane ima down south meat eater (pause) if there was one but i gotta lose some weight so i been cooking a lil healther

my west indian cats can tell me if im hittin with this one

Jerk Chicken

Marinade

4-5 fresh Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chiles, steemed and seeded (wear gloves when handling these..trust me)
4 large garlic cloves
3 scallions or green onions roughly chopped
1 small onion roughly chooped
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 chickens quartered or like 20 whole chicken wings ( i just heard you can use this on steak havent tried it yet tho)

Make marinade:
Blend all marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Marinate and grill chicken:
Divide chicken pieces and marinade between 2 sealable plastic bags. Seal bags, pressing out excess air, then turn bags over several times to distributemarinade. Put bags of chicken in a shallow pan and marinate, chilled, turning once or twice, for 1-2 days.

Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking.

To cook chicken using a charcoal grill:

When charcoal turns grayish white and you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds, sear chicken in batches on lightly oiled rack over coalsuntil well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Move chicken as seared to side of grill with no coals underneath, then cook, covered with lid,until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes more.

To cook chicken using a gas grill:
Preheat burners on high, then adjust heat to moderate. Cook chicken until well browned on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust heat to low and cook chicken,covered with lid, until cooked through, about 40 minutes more.

you can do this without using a grill in your oven broiler but i RECOMMEND using a grill

Tomato Salad

2 cups of ripe red or yellow cherry tomatoes sliced in half
2 Oranges peeled and cut into 1in pieces
1 cup of white chedder chesse shredded
1/2 cup of slightly crushed pecans (trust me
pimp.gif
)
salt and sugar to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and store in the refrigerator untill ready to serve

Serve with rice

Grade 9/10
pimp.gif

This time ima go simple a basic Shrimp po'boy and we gon cut some corners this time and use the Zantarans shrimp fry
frown.gif

30 medium/large shrimp
2 cups Zatarans Shrimp Fry
4 cups of oil
french bread loafs
2 tomatoes sliced
1 onion sliced
mayo
tartar sauce

heat the oil to 350 degrees in a fryer. as the oil heats up dredge the shrimp in the Zatarans "do not add any other seasoning it will be salty". Once the oil reaches 350 drop the shrimp in the hot oil in small batches fry for 2-4 minutes or untill breading is a light golden brown. slice your frenchbread and add your mayo tomatoes and onion drain the excess grease off of your shrimp then place the shrimp in the french bread top with tartar sauce and hotsauce then enjoy!

im trying to get NT on this good food cuz i alway see "i dont know how to cook threads" but boys not bitin so i might just dead this joint. But i gota few more recipes that might catch yalls eye

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

you got a thin steak recipe??

not a recipe but advice for steak homie best thing is bring that joint out the fridge bout an hr before you want to cook it hit it with some olive oil and saltand pepper on both sides. put it on a super hot grill or skillet about 2 minutes on each side(since its cut thin) the let it rest for about 5 minutes a lilbutter on top and your in pure heaven mane.

u do that get some tortillas warm them on the grill or skillet roast some peppers either on your grill or in your oven slice that steak and put together agreat fajita just add a lil cheese and sour cream and you on your way

the recipe seems long, but I added a few notes.
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo with Bow-tie Pasta
2 large pans, large boiling pot

Main Ingredients
1 pack of boneless skinless chicken breast (usually 3 breast per pack)
1 jar of alfredo sauce ( I use Ragu garlic alfredo)
1 bag of broccoli florettes (not the broccoli cuts or pieces)
1 12oz. box of bow tie pasta or whatever pasta you like

Seasonings etc.

Garlic salt
pepper
salt
paprika*
cayenne pepper*
minced garlic*
dried basil flakes
oil (olive oil or whatever cooking oil you have)

Steps

1. Cut the chicken breast into chunks. Rinse and drain chicken. lay out the pieces on a plate and pat them dry with a few paper towels.
If you put the chicken in the pan with too much moisture it tends to boil rather than saute'
(you can buy the chicken all ready cut up if you wish, not the pre cooked kind though)

2. Season the chicken lightly with the garlic salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne)

3. Add about 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan. Heat oil, then add the chicken.

4. Cook chicken until its ALMOST done then add Alfredo sauce and simmer on low heat or turn off (depending on how long you take with the broccoli). Youdon't want to be dry and overcooked The chicken will finish cooking with the sauce and other ingredients.

5. Begin boiling your water for the pasta, add 2 tablespoons of salt and a tablespoon of oil to the water.

6. In another pan, add about a tablespoon of oil, then add the broccoli. (I like to start with thawed broccoli, but you can add it while its still frozen)
Season the broccoli lightly with basil, salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes and then add a table spoon of minced garlic, cook for a few seconds
Be careful to not let the garlic cook for too long.

7. Combine the broccoli and chicken mixture in one pan on low heat.

8. Cook the pasta according to the box directions.

9. Once the pasta is done, drain it well and add to the sauce mix. You can cook if for a few more minutes, but at this point every thing should be cookedthrough.

Serve, top with a little Parmesan cheese and ENJOY!
don't have a pic, just leftovers from last night.

foodnetwork.com of course also allrecipes.com and i use seriouseats.com for ideas not really recipes i know its some other but im about to go to sleep haha

Back
Top Bottom