NT, Do you use the Upword or Downward Nod when speaking? Vol Old school vs New School

When speaking to a stranger in passing, do you use the upward, "Wattup, bro!" nod or the downward, "G'day" nod?

I used to "wattup, bro" everyone until I got a proffessional job. Presidents and CEO would come through on the regular and I didn't want to be the fool that came at the CEO with the "What it do, bro??" Now, I just give everyone the downward nod, its more professional and kinda boss like.

I've always thought of this as an old school move, but I catch a LOT of older guys giving me the "Wattup" upward nod.

NT whats your take on this? Which nod do you use in passing.

I realized over the years I give the downward nod to older people, probably like 35 and up, and the "wattup, bro (
laugh.gif
)" to everybody else. It seems
pretty natural too. It's not like "someone is coming towards me, they look 45, I must nod down".

I do downward nod when im cheering over a drink but they are too far to clank glass. Smoove as hell imo.

what an interesting phenomenon. i also usually do upward nods to my peers and downwards to elders. im gonna start doing the opposite of this and see how my days go.

someone give the scientific name for this occurrence immediately.

I do both. It kinda just happens. 

I do tend to nod down more, but I definitely nod up when it's the foolies though 
laugh.gif

ive been doin the downward nod exclusively now for a bout 5 years.

Not sure why i switched it up.

Upward nod with the "What up man" to my peers, and proceeds to dap/pound. The latter...downward nod (usually without saying anything) to people I don't really know and it's more formal/respectful.

downward if i know you and respect you

upward if i didn't know you or don't respect you

Back
Top Bottom