NT...Everyone Wit MLB Extra Innings Needs to Go to the Indians/Jays Game.Check out the goons in row1

How did I not see this
roll.gif

Johnny Damon was like "what the F are those two doing" when he walked out of the batters box after the pitch and smirked.

Then when he striked out, he just shook his head towards them.

That is needed at more Baseball games. Normally individuals with acts like that are usually in the upper decks but being right at home plate like that made iteven better. lol

Anyone have a vid of them at the Indians game a few weeks back?

This is exactly what the Skydome needs...games there are usually boring as %*@%.

http://www.thestar.com/article/635373
20a878074706a0bf65fbfba8606e.jpeg

'You're out,' say T.O. fans posingas umps

'You're off,' say leaguespoilsports, ending duo's star turn on YouTube

May 16, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story
icoComment.gif
(3)
Adrian Brijbassi
TORONTO STAR

Tim Williams wears an authentic American League umpire's uniform, stations himself behind home plate at Rogers Centre and rings up batters withzeal.

He does it from the first row of the stands, though, and that has started to turn heads.

Williams and a friend were the two "fake umpires" noticed by broadcast crews for New York Yankees and Cleveland Indians during recent Blue Jayshome games.

Three clips of Williams and Farrell in action were later posted on YouTube. One had more than 12,000 viewings; however as of last night, the clips had beendeleted at the request of Major League Baseball's copyright czars.

The big moment for the twosome is when a hitter takes a called third strike, which they salute with a flourish that has landed them in highlight reels onsportscasts across North America.

A former Little League and high school umpire in Oakville, Williams channels his passion for calling pitches at about 15 Jays games a season, parked behindhome plate.

"When I was growing up, I was always pretty animated behind the plate and would get requests from opposing teams to umpire their games, because I wasloud and would have fun with it," says the 31-year-old.

Although he has been calling strikes from the seats for more than two years, it's only this week that the media took notice. That's partly becausehe's been joined by an umpiring partner, his friend Joe Farrell. And the two now dress like umps, in regulation black jerseys and caps that Williams sayswere a gift to him from a real umpire met at Rogers Centre.

Farrell, a one-time Ontario Baseball Association ump, showed up at Wednesday's game involving the Jays and Yankees with his own umpire's mask.

"I find it funny that something like this would be getting that much attention," says Williams. "My feeling is, if you have those frontseats, you may as well have fun with it."

Williams says he attends about 40 to 45 Blue Jays games a year, but more often sits along the first-base line, where he doesn't don the uniform.

His buddy Farrell, 38, goes to about 15-20 games a year at Rogers Centre. Out of love for the game, he says he has memorized the MLB rulebook and is eagerto show it.

"Did you know there are 17 ways you can commit a balk?" he says.

Williams and Farrell are adamant they're not trying to show up the real umpires with their act. Williams, in fact, says he's an ardent fan of theirwork.

"We certainly don't mean any disrespect," says Williams. "They live a nomadic lifestyle where they're only in a place for three, fourdays at a time, and I don't think they get enough appreciation for what they do for the game."

Farrell says the two of them intend to take their act on the road later this season.

Meanwhile, they'll be working one of the games when Los Angeles Angels come to town in the first week of June.

"We're doing it to have fun, not being belligerent or swearing," says Williams. "And we're just calling it like we see it."

1:35

Man I was about to make a thread about how lame "ESPN's Bottom 10 Plays" were, until this came up and I almost fell out of my seat laughing

Back
Top Bottom