NT Going Bald Crew: Male Pattern Baldness FTL

Dont fake the funk doggy, and if you can rock hats at work, i would just go bald and tatt my dome up. Full dome peice wit the edge up.

I can see how my hairline shifted a bit, I'll be 27 soon but I don't think I'll have a problem with balding, but my **** always been baby hairish on the corners of my 4 head.

I have a tamed cow lick so my hair is thicker at my crown.

Last edited:
Minoxidil is that deal. I was thinning up front. Started using minoxidil and it's back to normal. Only downside is that if you stop using it, it stops working. You put it on twice a day so I put it on in the morning, and at night. But it's super cheap to buy off Amazon.

I also use cerafill retaliate shampoo + conditioner to stimulate the scalp. I wash my hair twice a week.

Can't relate

zJqep.gif

You gotta have the luxurious beard when you're bald. :lol:

Baldness don't run in my family, but my OGs hairline started receding in his mid 30s. I hope I don't have to suffer through that ****. My pops thugged it out until he hit 50 and finally shaved **** off. It looks good on him tho. I'll cop the Jaime Foxx before I shave my hair off. :lol: The power's in my hair *****[emoji]10071[/emoji]️

You cats that are seeing early signs of receding better cop you some Jamaican black castor oil.

I'm not balding, but when that day comes I'll definitely embrace it. Just got to stay in decent shape and maintain a beard

My edges are thinning and my "beard" grows in patches. I'm holding on to my hairline :lol:

If I do go fully bald, I'll start a hat collection

Last edited:
When I started noticing my edges thinning, I just decided to fro out. Now the **** isn't even noticeable :lol:

Hairline looking better now with the fro than it ever did with the waves. Can't go back to the low cut anymore lol.

thread should be rep your balding pattern...

mine looks like rooney's, damn island in the front 
laugh.gif

wish i balded like stanley tucci, everything went on top and only gotta worry about the sides and back

Last edited:
Bald Life FTW :smokin

Believe it or not but i actually got more attention from girls when i became bald.

...and yes i do have a beard

Op Google/look into "PRP hair treatment" its a fairly new hair restoration procedure thats painless,quick,and yields great results...friend of mine had it done,said it took like 30 minutes...they draw blood from your arm,put it in a centrifuge to enrich it,then inject the enriched blood into the scalp....he was balding pretty bad and it brought his hairline back completely...there was no scarring or pain or anything....i read a lot of athletes use this to also recover from injuries quicker

Minoxidil is that deal. I was thinning up front. Started using minoxidil and it's back to normal. Only downside is that if you stop using it, it stops working. You put it on twice a day so I put it on in the morning, and at night. But it's super cheap to buy off Amazon.

I also use cerafill retaliate shampoo + conditioner to stimulate the scalp. I wash my hair twice a week.
Have you had any side effects while taking it?

I want to try it out because the crown of head has thinned out...but I'm not sure if it's safe to keep taking it.

I realize that my hair has thinned up top and at first I was really insecure about it...But now, I think I finally accepted it.

Have you had any side effects while taking it?

I want to try it out because the crown of head has thinned out...but I'm not sure if it's safe to keep taking it.

I realize that my hair has thinned up top and at first I was really insecure about it...But now, I think I finally accepted it.
Nope, no serious side effects. Only thing I noticed in the beginning was that the top of my head (not the crown) was a little ashy because of the liquid drying and I only noticed it cause  I cut my hair really short in the beginning. But nobody noticed the ashy except for me.  But the ashy has gone away. But nope, nothing other than that, as a 'side effect'.   

Alright NT papitos, I'm going to try to share as much knowledge as I can with you about MPB based on my experience and a substantial amount of research I've done. My corners started fading into Bolivia as early as 17 years old, so I know that feel. I've been on FDA approved medications for hairloss for a year now and just underwent a FUE hair transplant procedure by one of the top docs in the world 9 days ago. I've shared a lot of knowledge in the Tyga thread, but it's probably better off here.

First I will start by saying that if you are comfortable shaving your head, look good with a shaved head, or are too scared to REALISTICALLY combat hair loss, do it. I believe it is the best option for most men and is undoubtably the safest, lowest risk move when you are losing your hair. I wish I could do it, I really do. But I'm not afraid to admit that it scared the **** out of me because I have a big head, no facial hair, and I'm a skinny papi. So the other papis would, without a shred of doubt, be testing my gansta.

This is the Norwood scale, often used to determine where you are in the progression of MPB. At this point I am somewhere between NW2-3

View media item 2135947

Now, if you decide to fight the good fight and try to combat hairloss, it's important to have a good diet, exercise regularly, etc. etc., all the things that allow you to live a healthy lifestyle. However, the main culprit of hairloss is a form of testosterone called DHT. DHT attacks susceptible hair follicles (front and top of your head) and overtime shrinks them until they die. Thats why when you see your corners or other areas of your scalp fading into Bolivia, the hairs there looks "thinner". That is because the follicle is shrinking, shrinking, and shrinking, until it finally calls it quits and dies. Male PATTERN baldness is called just that because normally, this happens in a few specific patterns: corners, then midscalp, then crown or corners, crown, then midscalp...until all the hair on top is gone. Many men experience the same patterns, but everyone is a little bit different. Thats why you see some guys lose their corners first and other guys have crisp line but they have a skylight in the back of their dome. My pattern so far has been my hairline rised up (16-17 y/o), temples and corners started to catch a fade (18-22), front of my "hairline" started to thin out (23-24). MPB is a progressive issue, meaning it continues to get worse until you either lose all your hair you were meant to lose or you prevent further loss with medication.

That gets me to my next point: preventative medications. This is crucial if you decide that you don't want to lose any more hair. There are basically 2 PROVEN options you have to chose from: minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia). Most of you have probably heard of Rogaine due to the marketing they have employed. It comes in a few different strengths and either a liquid or foam. You have to use it twice a day and INDEFINITELY. This means that if you stop using it, any benefits that you might have seen will quickly fade into Bolivia. Is there side effects? I have heard of some men experiencing headaches and getting very flaky scalps from using minoxidil, but since it is a topical solution, its side effects don't compare to anything you might experience from taking any sort of pill. Is it effective? I believe so, but every man is different. I personally do not use it because I can't see myself taking two times out of my day to put foam in my hair, plus I like to wear my hair longer (I'm a white papi with finer hair) which would make it difficult to apply. The other option you have is finasteride. This is a pill that has been proven to lower DHT levels in your body to prevent DHT from attacking your hair follicles. Studies showed that 85% of men responded well to the medication and prevented any further hair loss over a 10 year period. However, when you research this medication online it can be very scary because of all the horror stories you will find about potential side effects which are mostly sexual side effects. I believe some of these are real life. However in the 10 year study, only 1-2% of men said they experienced sexual side effects. When I first learned about this drug over a year ago, I immediately told myself I would not take it because my sex life is worth way more than my hair. The stories scared the hell out of me. However, once you do a little more research you will realize that the majority of men do not experience side effects from this drug. I decided to give it a shot and I have not experienced any side effects. It has also helped halt my hairloss in its place and I have not lost any ground since I started the medication about a year ago. If you are considering this as an option, there are a few forms of this drug that you take daily: generic finasteride 1mg (2nd cheapest option), brand Propecia 1mg (most expensive), generic Proscar 5mg (cheapest option, cut into 1/4 for daily dose of 1.25mg), and brand Proscar 5mg (cut into 1/4 for daily dose of 1.25mg). From my research and personal experience, generic options do not work nearly as well as the branded versions. Theoretically it should not work this way, I know. But there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that brand options are much much more effective than generic. I started on generic finasteride 1mg for 6 months and while I didn't think I lost much ground at all, it seemed that my hair never really stopped shedding. So I switched to 1mg propecia and BOOM, after 1-2 weeks it seemed like my shedding came to a screeching halt. In the past month, I switched to 5mg Proscar cut into 1/4 to save some money (50% costs of 1mg Propecia). It costs me about $50/month.

I will put a small note in here about vitamins, special shampoos, oils, etc. etc. that people claim will help stop hairloss. While there is nothing to prove that they do stop hairloss, there is also plenty to prove that they do not. Just take a look at all the guys who started balding and tried these (castor oil, snake oil, biotin, etc.) as their only mode of attack. They all keep losing hair. That is because none of these things stop DHT from forming in your body. I have heard that saw palmetto will lower DHT, but there is no scientific proof. Personally I did not want to waste anymore time and risk losing more hair by messing around on natural options, thats why I started finasteride. I also take biotin daily, but more to make sure my hair has all the vitamins it needs to grow healthy. I also use a nizoral shampoo to help keep my scalp healthy and flake free (2-3x per week).

What about treatments? I saw someone in here mention PRP and also you might see some advertisement about laser therapy. While a lot of hair loss doctors out there might recommend these treatments and claim that men have seen improvement while using them, to date there is no scientific evidence to prove so. I don't doubt that some men have benefited from either one, but I am not willing to spend my money on something that hasn't been proven over the course of several years.

Now, lets talk about transplants. As I mentioned before, I just underwent a procedure 9 days ago with one of the top doctors in the world. Dr. Victor Hasson at Hasson & Wong in Vancouver, Canada. I received 1859 grafts to my hairline via FUE technique. After over a year of in depth research, I decided it was time to go through with it. I want to really stress here how important it is to do your research. When you think you've done a lot, do more. This is not something you want to rush into. I know it can be hard because of the mental anguish that hair loss can cause and you just want to have a quick fix. Hair restoration surgery is not a quick fix and is probably the most risky cosmetic procedure that you can choose because it is very unpredictable and every guy is different. A couple really important things to understand before you consider a HT: you have limited donor hair, you will never achieve the same density as your native hair (before you started losing ground) and it is vital to stop any further loss with preventative measures (i.e. Rogaine or finasteride). The last thing you want to be doing is chasing your hairline with more and more transplants for the rest of your life because you aren't taking the meds to prevent further loss. Eventually you run out of donor hair and theres not much else you can do. You have to be very realistic about what you can achieve with a HT based on your age, level of hair loss, donor capacity, type of hair (fine, wavy, curly, thick, etc.), and family history. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! I can't stress this enough. I traveled from Florida all the way to Vancouver because I told myself if I was going to do this, I wanted to go with the best. It is a very risky and expensive procedure, so you want to make sure you are in the right hands. If you end up in the wrong hands, it can end up messing up your life BAD.

There are two methods of a HT: FUT (strip) and FUE. FUT is when they take a strip of your scalp out of the back of your head where the DHT resistant hair is, dissect the grafts out of that strip, and then plant them in the bald areas. When you get this procedure, it forces you to wear your hair a little longer in the back to be able to conceal the scar once it heals. FUE is when they extract follicles one by one and then plant them in the front of your scalp. This allows you to wear your hair shorter in the back. There is no such thing as a scarless procedure. FUE still leaves small white dots that if you shave your head below a one guard you could probably see. I don't think I will go below a 2-3 guard so that didn't concern me before I underwent my procedure.

I could write a whole lot more about HT's, but theres literally too much to go into. What I really want to get across is that if you are considering a HT as an option for you, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Go through the hair loss forums (Bald Truth Talk and Hair Restoration Network) and read through all the threads (even the bad ones). Do as many in person and online consultations with IAHRS approved doctors as you possibly can to get a few different opinions on what they their recommendation is for you. Don't just go to one doctor and listen to them, I'm so glad I didn't go this route because I would probably be screwed right now.

If you have questions about hair loss or anything related, feel free to PM me. I'll post pics of my pre-op and post-op eventually on here. Its going to take a while to any sort of results. Its a long process. But seriously, if you look good with a shaved head, you should at least try it. Like others said, grow your beard out, work out, and be confident. My roommate had serious struggle hair for the longest time and didn't get laid for 4 years. He decided to buzz it down and has been killing it with the mamis ever since. I know I sound like a hypocrite when I say all of this, but everyone is different. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

When I first noticed my corners starting to fade I freaked out and bought some minoxidil foam to try and keep my hairline.  I'm probably the only one who would even notice the difference, but it really hit me hard.  I've been graying slowly for about 10 years and it never really bothered me, but once my hairline took a hit it definitely did.  I started using the foam for a couple weeks and came to the realization that it wasn't worth it... yet.  I felt as though it became such a primary focus that I'd have to continue for the rest of my life, so at this point it's not healthy for me to be waste so much time and energy on something that's hardly even a problem.  To be continued...

I got halfway through that post PatRiley PatRiley and realized I'm late to my Barber and had to stop, the irony. :lol: will Def check back later.

Back
Top Bottom