NT Grammar Convention

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

The worst excuse/cop out is "it's the internet, it's not that serious."

If you're trying to make a point it matters.
I agree. I actually look down on people that type like complete idiots here.

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

The question I pose to you all is how important is grammar, really?

It's come to the point where I hate coming to NT because I feel like I'm dumbing myself down by reading
some of these posts.

And if anyone tries to correct someone - you know, to help them out - that person gets upset.

So, on NT, how important is grammary, really?
It's is a contraction of it and is, not it and has.
What?

it's = it is and =/= it has
in the sentence it goes "it's come..." meaning it has come, thus an error
its a bit picky tho since anyone can understand that

I can understand typos etc. but when dudes go out of their way to misspell words, THAT pisses me off...

Originally Posted by M1dnightMobster

The question I pose to you all is how important is grammar, really?

It's come to the point where I hate coming to NT because I feel like I'm dumbing myself down by reading
some of these posts.

As long as the post is tolerable and coherent, then I have no problem with grammatical errors.  I've browsing NT for about five years, on and off, and it hasn't negatively effected my prescriptive grammar.

NT isn't all that bad compared to people still on MySpace with their picture captions where they typ3 w0rds liek diz 0n purp053

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

i think the thing is, there is a difference between honest spelling errors and complete oblivion to spelling and grammar and usage of words.

but people HERE like to get on people because they accidentally typed the letter 'b' instead of 'n' .. it gets really annoying. correction of people who spell things like "brockley" = acceptable, criticism of people who spell something wrong innocently = get a life

This.

What really irritates me is that there is a 'Spellcheck' tab in the reply window. Do people not use it?
Considering half of NT uses Macs, I'm surprised we ever have spelling errors.  Mine puts the red squiggle under my misspelled words as I go--like how MS Word does it.  I stopped following a lot of people on Twitter and Facebook because they can't spell... I'm talking downright stupid spelling issues in EVERY update/tweet.

Dudes take it too far... this is a web forum not a college course... I hate that Dwight Howard gif hahahaha cuz i got hit with it... but its still so funny tho

one example form the Dressing Better thread that makes you go
sick.gif
smh.gif

dude meant "granted"

Originally Posted by vezon

Originally Posted by one11archerave

Originally Posted by Beast4ya

--Granite I live in Florida, I don't have to many good jackets.
but that is what I'm trying to expand from
roll.gif
roll.gif

When I see someone slaughter their sentence or paragraph with poor spelling or grammar, I almost instantly disregard any credibility that the writer may have had.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Some of it is habit. Because I would use "..." at the end of my sentences, someone asked me if I was in Charles Barkley's school of grammar. I hadn't realized how bad my online typing had become until this point. I pretty much stopped capitalizing, or using correct punctuation in any of my posts. So shout out to whoever questioned my intelligence the other day. I am a college student, so I should act like one. A lot of these habits are still hard to break online.
what's wrong with using an ellipsis online? personally I love using it when I want to place emphasis on a pausing moment in the sentence the way I would if I were actually speaking it.

For me though, grammar matters a lot, but I can be lenient on the issue online/in texts if it's a small error and the point of the message still got through. When I miss the point or simply don't understand what was said because of the errors, that's where my issue comes. Either I kill that person's credibility to me or I ask for some kind of clarification, but inside I'm usually somewhat mad and irritated it had to come to that point.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

iT donT be realy ayn'T dat iMpotint TwO mhe unowhatimsayN sUN¿?

A minor slip up isn't really a big deal to me personally,but if the comment looks like the foolishness that I laid out above then I just skip over it.
Reading posts such as that one irritates the hell out of me for some reason.

Originally Posted by solemunchies

I can be a Grammar Nazi sometimes
smh.gif

Grammar is real important in my world
As opposed to fake important?

Sentence should read: Grammar is really important in my world.

"Chease" (Cheese)

"Suggestestions" (Suggestions)

smh.gif

Not grammar, but this type of spelling is ridiculous.

Headchog. (hedgehog)
laugh.gif

Understand estimates (underestimate)
roll.gif

Not too serious with it, but sometimes you gotta be a bit more keen on the errors especially with the grammar sharks on NT.

Back
Top Bottom