NT Grammar Convention

The question I pose to you all is how important is grammar, really?

It's come to the point where I hate coming to NT because I feel like I'm dumbing myself down by reading
some of these posts.

And if anyone tries to correct someone - you know, to help them out - that person gets upset.

So, on NT, how important is grammary, really?

It's important, but don't forget that English isn't everyone's first language...

laugh.gif
at that pic

It's important to a certain extent. I don't trip over it like some dudes do.

laugh.gif

Personally, I would like to see people use proper grammar when possible, intentionally misspelling words "wit" instead of "with", "chu" instead of "you", etc. What bugs me more is when thread starters have a long story, and the entire story is riddled with punctuation errors, run-on sentences, and spelling mistakes, so it just makes reading it impossible.

I only correct people when their spelling is so atrocious that it's downright laughable.

It's the spelling that really gets to people.

"dats a waist of money."

"brockley"

blah blah blah.

iT donT be realy ayn'T dat iMpotint TwO mhe unowhatimsayN sUN¿?

A minor slip up isn't really a big deal to me personally,but if the comment looks like the foolishness that I laid out above then I just skip over it.
Reading posts such as that one irritates the hell out of me for some reason.

i think the thing is, there is a difference between honest spelling errors and complete oblivion to spelling and grammar and usage of words.

but people HERE like to get on people because they accidentally typed the letter 'b' instead of 'n' .. it gets really annoying. correction of people who spell things like "brockley" = acceptable, criticism of people who spell something wrong innocently = get a life

Conventions only exist so that people understand each other with as little as confusion as possible. So long as I know what someone like, say ninjahood, means when they type something like "dey not black doe" then it's fine. I can do the work for them since it's not so difficult.

It's like when I type the phrase "i wnat to dirve wihle inoxticaoed", your mind makes the adjustment to interpret what I just wrote. We already do the work for the guy that posts anyway, no sense in complaining about the work you already did. Just keep it moving.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

i think the thing is, there is a difference between honest spelling errors and complete oblivion to spelling and grammar and usage of words.

but people HERE like to get on people because they accidentally typed the letter 'b' instead of 'n' .. it gets really annoying. correction of people who spell things like "brockley" = acceptable, criticism of people who spell something wrong innocently = get a life

This.

What really irritates me is that there is a 'Spellcheck' tab in the reply window. Do people not use it?

Originally Posted by RECOGNIZE GAME

peoples always put down, an NTer, why?
When I see NT, I don't think NikeTalk, I think En-Tee.
That's why they say "an" versus "a" because of the vowel sound.

It's come to the point where I hate coming to NT because I feel like I'm dumbing myself down by reading
some of these posts.

And if anyone tries to correct someone - you know, to help them out - that person gets upset.

It's is a contraction of it and is, not it and has. Grammary is also not a word though it has been used in a few books unrelated to "grammar". In regards to your question, I dont think it is a big deal but when we have grammatical errors that literally make you facepalm yourself at your computer I think something should be done.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

some of these posts.

It's is a contraction of it and is, not it and has. Grammary is also not a word though it has been used in a few books unrelated to "grammar". In regards to your question, I dont think it is a big deal but when we have grammatical errors that literally make you facepalm yourself at your computer I think something should be done.

The ' is there to signify the contraction of a word, being the "as" in "has" in this word. So, you're wrong.

And the other was a mistake. I know how to say "grammar," as seen in the first sentence.

As for the question, it irritates me because I know that every instance of poor grammar that I read slowly alters my sensitivity to bad grammar. The more commonplace something is, the more it becomes accepted.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

some of these posts.

It's is a contraction of it and is, not it and has.

What?

Some of it is habit. Because I would use "..." at the end of my sentences, someone asked me if I was in Charles Barkley's school of grammar. I hadn't realized how bad my online typing had become until this point. I pretty much stopped capitalizing, or using correct punctuation in any of my posts. So shout out to whoever questioned my intelligence the other day. I am a college student, so I should act like one. A lot of these habits are still hard to break online.

don't get me wrong, i love grammar and what have you but i do not believe in capitalization. like, at all. *shrugs*

(ignore my screen name in all caps
smh.gif
laugh.gif
)

laugh.gif
at this entire thread.
Grammatical errors on NT use to always annoy me.
Now I just skip over anything that looks ******ed.
laugh.gif

http://niketalk.com/topic/239783

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

Originally Posted by CaBron James 23

Originally Posted by Cali2Memphis

Honestly does it make a sense for a d.j. to play these songs at a club if thier not in that state?dont get me wrong ima huge fan of both but when they get played in a club this is the usally response...

u just lost me

I cannot comprehend what you tried to write. 

I abbreviated you, he couldn't distinguish the difference between they're/their/and there I win 
                   ^        ^       ^        ^                                                            ^       ^       ^        ^
  Correct this run-on sentence.                                                 No punctuation at the end.   A period is missing after "there" and "win".
Try to be more professional and not use contractions.  "He could not distinguish the difference" reads better than, "He couldn't distinguish the difference".  

@#%! u

Back
Top Bottom