NT, help me with purchasing a new TV.

-Need a new TV
-Plasma or LCD?
-What are some of the best brands? Sony? Samsung? Panasonic? Sharp? Toshiba? LG? Phillips?
-Looking between 46"-50" and don't wanna spend too much $$$
Thanks

Edit: I'm looking at this Sony BRAVIA 46" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV all for $999. How are Sony Bravias?

indifferent.gif
come on NT, I know you guys have some kind of info on this stuff.

Originally Posted by prokid404

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I asked this before. Here's the link to my old thread. Useful information there, like the pros and cons of plasma and LCD. Hope this helps.

Plasma TV vs LCD TV? Which one? Looking for a
new TV.

which one did you end up getting?

So, we bought a TV last Wednesday. We're going to get it delivered Sunday. It's the SAMSUNG LN52A650 52" 1080P 120Hz LCD HDTV from Fry's Electronics. The TV was on sale for $1799. We checked over at Best Buy and they were selling it for $2399 and Sears was selling it for $1999.

When I was at Fry's Electronics, they had OLED TVs there. They were like $3500 but the damn picture was so freakin' nice! Plus, OLED is hella thin. I hella want to get one in the future (not near future though
embarassed.gif
).

And OP, I know you're looking for a TV under $1000 but like I said, there is some useful information in that old thread. Pros and Cons of both plasma andLCD and which brands are better for plasma and what brands are better for LCD.

Originally Posted by SickWitIt

Is it true that LCDs last longer than Plasmas or something?

Originally Posted by miss kidd0

[table][tr][th=""]Display
Type[/th] [th=""]Screen
Size[/th] [th=""]Wall
Mountable[/th] [th=""]Viewing
Angle (side to side)[/th] [th=""]Contrast Ratio
& Black Level[/th] [th=""]Pros & Cons[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Plasma[/td] [td]42"-65"[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Excellent[/td] [td]Very good[/td] [td]
  • Pros: screen's phosphor coating creates lifelike color that is closest to conventional tube TVs
  • Cons: vulnerable to "burn-in" although it's less of an issue for newer models; screen tends to reflect room lights
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]LCD[/td] [td]19"-52"[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Good to Very Good[/td] [td]Good[/td] [td]
  • Pros: panels weigh less than plasma and use less energy; burn-in not an issue
  • Cons: picture slightly less natural than top plasmas
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h3]Which type is right for you?[/h3]
Plasma TVs have been around a little longer than LCD TVs, and their technology is a little further along. Plasma screens use a phosphor coating like tube TVs, so they have the natural color we're used to with tube models. Plasmas have better contrast and black level performance than LCDs, and offer slightly wider viewing angles. People often describe plasma's picture quality as richer or more "cinematic," so it's a great choice for a home theater, or your main TV.

A plasma TV might be for you if:
  • You want really rich, warm colors and deep blacks.
  • You'll be sitting off-axis when you watch TV or movies.
  • You don't watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with static images on the screen for more than a few hours at a time.
  • Your viewing room doesn't have a lot of ambient light, or you can easily reduce the light by closing the blinds, for example.
If you're looking at screen sizes under 40", LCD is your only flat-panel choice. LCD looks great in a kitchen or any other room with bright lighting. LCD displays are better at resisting glare from sunlight or room lights, and they're very bright (brighter even than plasmas). LCD is also one of the most rugged display types. Its total immunity to screen burn-in makes LCD an ideal choice if your viewing includes frequent computer or video game use. And if you leave your TV on for hours at a time tuned to a news or sports channel with a scrolling "ticker," LCD would be a safer TV choice.

A flat-panel LCD TV might be for you if:
  • You watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with static images on the screen for extended periods of time, multiple days a week.
  • Your TV room is relatively bright, or you do a lot of daytime viewing.
  • There are many more 1080p LCD models than plasma - that's the highest resolution currently available, so you'll see a very sharp, detailed picture.
  • LCD TVs are usually more energy efficient than plasma models of the same size.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ebJOtOCJrBh/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

Aight, I looked through that thread but didn't see anything on this 120htz stuff. Can anyone school me on this? Do 120htz TVs make a big difference?
That I don't know
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif
. Maybe someone else can help you with that
ohwell.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't it how fast the TV refreshes it's picture or something?
nerd.gif

Aight, I looked through that thread but didn't see anything on this 120htz stuff. Can anyone school me on this? Do 120htz TVs make a big difference?

I ended up Googling it...

[h1]120 Hertz: What's It All About?[/h1]
This year's marquee specification is a refresh rate of 120 Hertz, which manufacturers claim make movies and video appear smoother on HDTVs. How much is true and how much is hype?

If you've been walking through the local electronics store, or browsing HDTVs online (and I'm sure you have), you may have noticed a lot of attention being payed to "120 Hertz," that is, the refresh rate of some newer model televisions. The refresh rate refers to the frequency with which the image on the screen is updated, or re-drawn. "120 Hertz" means that the image you are looking at on the HDTV is updated 120 times a second.

In the past, most TVs had refresh rates of either 30 hertz (30 or 60 frames per second). While this was fine for viewing broadcast or cable television shows that are filmed at 30 frames per second, it created some minor issues when watching motion pictures, which are filmed at 24 frames per second. In order to make the 24 frames of film match with the 30 frames of the TV, a process known as "3:2 pulldown" was employed, in which the extra frames were filled with repeated images. In scenes with high motion, the imbalance of the repeated frames could cause the movie to look jerky and not smooth. Whether it's truly noticeable is up for debate: true videophiles claim to be able to detect the problem, while the average TV viewer might never notice that anything funky is happening to their display.

For those who are bothered by the "3:2 pulldown," 120 Hertz is a welcome solution. 120 is a multiple of both 24 and30, meaning that the framerate of a film and the framerate of a TV show can be repeated evenly, and both types of video content will look its absolute best.

Is this really important? Is it worth spending a few extra bucks to get get? That depends on what kind of consumer you are. If you read the above information and thought "I've never noticed anything weird about watching movies on my TV," then maybe you wouldn't really care if you had a 120 Hz HDTV. In any case, now that you know what 120 Hertz means, you can shop more effectively and with a greater sense of what it is you're looking at, and what the stores are trying to sell you.

http://www.digitaladvisor.com/lcd-tv-and-plasma-tv/120-hertz-whats-it-all-about_roundup.html

So yeah, I was right. It's the refresh rate. The higher the hertz, the smoother the picture is.

120hz make a big difference when you're fast moving objects/panning. if you're a sports watcher, it's a must. i turn off the"automotion" when im doing anything else though.

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

120hz make a big difference when you're fast moving objects/panning. if you're a sports watcher, it's a must. i turn off the "automotion" when im doing anything else though.
I leave it on. Why do you turn it off? Is there a reason why you turn off "automotion?"

most say when going over 42" go plasma. I would agree (unless you go DLP).

people usually exaggerate the effects of burn-in in plasma sets, but stay on the cautious side if you play a lot of video games with static images or watchnon-stop CNN/CNBC with the ticker.

The features I rank by importance are:

Resolution (1080p etc)
Available Ports (HDMI, VGA, DVI etc)
Contrast Ratio
Refresh Rate
Warranty
etc

Always check CNET.com for reviews and google the model number for reviews but take reviews with a grain of salt.

if you're looking for a cheap one. Vizio is the best brand for that, i think walmart carries them. You could get a 37" for like 400 or 450. Andthey're pretty good TV's too.

just get the samsung TOC LN46A650... i have it in the living room right now.. you wont be disappointed.. my wifey didnt want to spend a lot of money on aT.V... but after she saw the picture she didnt complain anymore... the samsung i have has been on the market for a while and is still rated in the top LCD andHDTV on cnet....
but this question gets asked all the time like a ps3 or 360 thread

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

120hz make a big difference when you're fast moving objects/panning. if you're a sports watcher, it's a must. i turn off the "automotion" when im doing anything else though.
I leave it on. Why do you turn it off? Is there a reason why you turn off "automotion?"
i just dont like the look of it.

I can refer you to the place I purchased my set from if youre looking for a good plasma. Authorized Pioneer dealer + best price I've found anywhere(online and in-stores)...and best-priced ext. warranty Ive found too.

I think they only sell Pios and Pannys though. * but the price is good for what I feel is the best you could go with (pioneer).

if you dont go for a plasma, Id say go for a Sony or Sammy LCD.

replied to PM, and here you go for anyone else too...
http://www.satsound.com/

I guess they do carry LCD's now too. gl. lemme know if you have any ?s. my experience with them was all good.

Back
Top Bottom