NT, I need your help. Vol. Buying a car.

I've never owned a car before - I mainly use public transportation to get to work and school but I need something to get me to the grocery store, dry cleaners, etc. Every day type stuff. I don't want to spend more than 2 g's (laugh here) but I really just need something to last until I finish school.
I was told to stay away from craigslist, but I don't know where else to go. Autotrader? Hood auto lot with a junkyard dog?

Please advice.

Originally Posted by roback1991

Please advice.
0d4257fe0fe8a9ab93359506172bc61ccca083e.jpeg

I have purchased 3 cars from Craigslist. A swapped Civic, '91 Mustang GT and a Chevy truck. Never had a problem with any of them.

Do you have any relatives with old cars that aren't in use?

But damn, 2,000 is literally nothing. Raise your budget to 5 grand and you'll have some options. Autotrader.com is a good site to look at.

get a honda or toyota. best bets. diy type of cars. good on gas

Originally Posted by VietStar

Do you have any relatives with old cars that aren't in use?

But damn, 2,000 is literally nothing. Raise your budget to 5 grand and you'll have some options. Autotrader.com is a good site to look at.
I just 5 g's cold hard cash for school, I honestly just need something that moves.

Craigslist is actually probably the best option to find a car in your price range. Stick to honda, toyota, nissan. You'll probably end up with a beat up 90s car, but if you maintain it, it should last a few years. Try to find a mechanic or someone who knows about cars to check it out with you to see if there are any major problems with the car.

Originally Posted by oidreez

Go to craigslist

I agree.  I plan on going this route in February.  There are some decent cars on CL.  Just gotta have the patience and a mechanic would help as well.

$2k will get you something totally reasonable. Ideally you want something with a good rep for reliability owned by someone old who's looked after it - if it's had regular maintenance it has a much better chance of not having problems.

Craigslist isn't a bad bet - or local classifieds that old people might be more likely to use.

I'm in the same boat op I found a 87 toyota corolla for 800 all it needs is a muffler I'm thinking about buying and tuning it

Back
Top Bottom