NT im about to purchase a bike.. School Me. Vol. DIRTY where you at?

Alright so its a definate im going to purchase a bike June 23 (My 25th birthday) im trying to figure out whats the best bike for someone who's never rode.I have friends who are telling me that the Ninja 500R is one of the best bikes for me to get. So basically im wondering if anyone has advice as well as what isthe process?

Do I learn to ride first? Get my license after? Im a noob to this so any help is good, THANKS

2000-Kawasaki-Ninja500Ra.jpg

Originally Posted by OneForceAir

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
Goons Can Teach You How To Ride..

laugh.gif
idiot co workers FTL.

Dirty is this class manditory it does it just help me learn the basics of motorcycle safety?

the latter.

also, if you take the class... you 1. get to forgo the DMV test and 2. get an insurance discount

but it's just a good class to take for beginners as well...those with zero experience.

make sure you have your permit before you attend the class first...or you won't be able to partake.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

the latter.

also, if you take the class... you 1. get to forgo the DMV test and 2. get an insurance discount

but it's just a good class to take for beginners as well...those with zero experience.

make sure you have your permit before you attend the class first...or you won't be able to partake.
Pretty much sums it up. I took the class last week and it looked like most of the class didn't have their permit yet. The class helped a lot.Also, just because you take the class does not mean you automatically get the waiver to skip the DMV test. The class has an evaluation on the last day. If youdon't pass it, you have to re-take the 2nd day on another weekend for free.

Also, my instructor told me a good beginner bike is the Ninja 250. However if it's too easy for you, then the 500R should be fine.

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
idiot co workers FTL.

Dirty is this class manditory it does it just help me learn the basics of motorcycle safety?
I'm tired of seeing people trying to bypass the course only to go on to hurt themselves and others. Take the damn class if you don't knowhow to ride and learn some basic maneuvering and saftey that could keep you possibly out of accidents in the future as well as help you find out what yourproblem areas are when exiting the ourse and knowing what you need more practice with.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by VaGixxer

Originally Posted by Jetpacunlimited

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
idiot co workers FTL.

I'm tired of seeing people trying to bypass the course only to go on to hurt themselves and others. Take the damn class if you don't know how to ride and learn some basic maneuvering and saftey that could keep you possibly out of accidents in the future as well as help you find out what your problem areas are when exiting the ourse and knowing what you need more practice with.
tired.gif

Relax man imma take the course lol. I don't wanna crash.

Originally Posted by kamakazipnoygt

Also, just because you take the class does not mean you automatically get the waiver to skip the DMV test. The class has an evaluation on the last day. If you don't pass it, you have to re-take the 2nd day on another weekend for free.
Sorry...yeah.. you have to pass the class evaluation

man....now that the weather's getting a tad warmer...I'm really thinking of just selling my F3 and working on an an old honda project bike to get it tosomething like this.

take the class, get ur license, and see if u can get a friend to help u practice (if u have any with bikes)

Alright so its a definate im going to purchase a bike June 23

Make sure your pockets are straight, your going to be purchasing a bike at the height of riding season. You might want to think about buying somestuff on the side now if your certain that your buying a bike by your birthday. Things like a helmet, gloves, and boots while the prices are down.

Aiight well I will put in my 2 cents since Ive been riding for about 3 yrs now..

In MA the easiest way to work it out is...

1. Get your permit (study a bit, but it is more or less like a car permit test)
2. Drop the 250-300 on the 2 day weekend class...take the road test at the end of the class...you have your license.
3. Look on CL for cheap bikes, save some money and get a cheap first bike.

If you want to be like me and buy new fresh out the gate, be confident. I bought my 2006 R6 brand new for my very first bike. I have never gone down and I lovemy bike more then anything. The bike you posted above I would not suggest you get as your first bike...not only does it look horrendous...its weak with power.a 1000cc is waaaay too much but a 600cc is perfect. Like the GXR-600, Ninja 636, CBR600RR or the R6.

If you need any help let me know

Here is my baby...

11cbbs8.jpg

2ilfns3.jpg

Do take the advice and take the MSF...it will build your confidence and safe your life.

Now a lot of people don't want a Ninja 250 or 500 because you might outgrow it quickly and they are ugly (except the 08/09 Ninja 250 is sick)anyways..thatdoesn't mean go hop on a in line 600cc bike so quickly. 100+HP bikes should be your second bike..not first.
You have other options.

SV650S...sweet bike..beginner friendly..and looks nice..it has a v-twin engine 650cc making about 73HP (03-present model)
find it used on CL for about 2500-5000...you can get one for probably 3500 in good condition easily

28231_0_1_2_sv650sf%20abs_Image%20credits%20-%20Suzuki.jpg

the brand new 2009 FZ6R...this thing is NICE
http://www.yamaha-motor.c...modelhome/619/0/home.aspx
makes about 78HP and is a 600cc 4 stroke engine
Price tag about 6-7000 I think
09MS_FZ6R_blu_S1_75caa786.jpg

Kawasaki Ninja 650r 2 stroke engine..makes about 72 HP
used on CL for about $3800-$5000 (2006-present model)
2006-Kawasaki-Ninja650b.jpg

and of course the 08/09 Ninja 250r
new $4000...probably $4500-5000 out the door brand new
used on CL $3000-$4000
250 cc ..4 stroke v-twin engine making about 25HP

heres one pretty tricked out..
editmotor9kq5.jpg

custom paint
pimp.gif
ow oww! that can't be a 250!!? yes it is..
250r_logo3.jpg

Disclaimer: Photos courtesy of kawiforums.com and SVrider.com

these are all my recommendations because they're so nice looking and most important beginner friendly!
I still need to take the MSF..im poor, but I plan on doing that and probably going with a used SV650S as my first bike over the summer.
pimp.gif

Good luck OP..and remember it'll be your FIRST bike...not your LAST. make wise decisions.

P.S.invest good money into good gear..gloves the strap, a nice textile or leather jacket depending on the weather, a full face helmet, and proper pants andshoes...if you don't want to buying riding boots.

Alpinestars,Arai, Suomy, Icon, are a couple good brand names I'd go with.

I would go for something like a 250 - still plenty of poke for getting around but not so much that you'll kill yourself (easily). Cheaper too so if youdrop it or scratch it somehow it's not to big a deal.

I like the style of bikes that Dirty has been posting too - I wouldn't buy a race style bike nowadays. I won't be getting another one anytime soonanyway as 2 of my family killed themselves on their bikes and I'd never hear the end of it from my mom or my wife. My bicycle is bad enough for them.

Friend of mine has this which is cool - just a big muscle bike sort of thing. 1000cc and plenty quick but great for just cruising around on.

2lvmngm.jpg

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

man....now that the weather's getting a tad warmer...I'm really thinking of just selling my F3 and working on an an old honda project bike to get it to something like this.
I've been looking at some Bobbers..I saw a company called Kikker that makes them.
Have you heard of these? They look pretty cool but I've only recently heard of the company.

Interesting.....but I really want to go through the trials and tribulations of making one myself.

I'm not gonna go crazy and rip apart engines...but I def want to try my hand at some minor body mods

edit
this does't seem that hard...

Back
Top Bottom