NT, I'm getting a python vol. What to expect?

iblink

Banned
This pet shop up the street from me has baby ball pythons going for $60. I've always wanted a snake I can remember the days when I had I found in thegarden for like a week.

So I'm thinking about getting the smallest one in the tank (about 8 inches or so). I know they can grow to be about 5 ' or so. Anyone have anyexperience with snakes? Recommendations, tips, etc?

Newbie.jpg

It's unlikely that I'll be eaten. If it were a reticulated python, then maybe.

Meeee!

I've owned many different species of reptiles and amphibians and you cannot go wrong with a ball python. At the max, they reach 5 ft or more, but 4 ft isthe norm. And they get nice and chunky, very cute. Very docile animals, just be sure to handle him or her on a regular basis. When you get bit, it's yourown fault. If the snake is looking hungry, don't be sticking your arm in the cage.

I HIGHLY suggest something other than a regular aquarium for a home. Front opening cages are the way to go. I ended up getting one from here, these are greatsnake houses http://www.boaphileplastics.com/. These bastards are escape artists, my poor Cujo was loosein the house for 2 weeks before she wandered out of the basement. Get him or her on prekilled, frozen mice ASAP. It's easier in the long run. Now, ballscan be notoriously picky eaters. Sometimes they just don't want to eat. Try again in 3 or 4 days.

Please do not use heat rocks, even those with temp controls can fail and seriously burn the snake. I used radiant heat panel, but regular light bulbs willwork.

Don't use any cedar or aromatic wood chips, the oils are toxic.

And buy all of your stuff before you bring home your snake.

Oh, and they live for 20 - 30 years, it's a long term investment. Please don't get one if you can't properly care for it. Snakes are on the easyend of reptiles as far as husbandry goes but they are still an exotic and have special needs.

Front open cages? Wouldn't he be able to slither through the openings? I was looking at a 10 gal. tank for the first few months.

Originally Posted by iBlink

Front open cages? Wouldn't he be able to slither through the openings? I was looking at a 10 gal. tank for the first few months.

oops. front opening cages. If anything, a 20 gallon long will last a couple of months. They do like to move around.

Likes this one, but mine only had one door.
422T.jpg

I dunno, couple hundred? But you can get the heating elementals all installed and what have you. And it's light as hell, eventually that ball python isgoing to need a big home and aquariums are awkward and heavy to try and wash out. Plus you need to lock the tops on them as the snake will pry off the screentop.

There are cheaper alternatives out there that are not aquariums, though. Especially if you shop at an exotic specialty store. After the up front costs, snakesare typically cheap to keep. They don't need UV lighting, or supplements or anything like other reptiles and amphibians. I figure if I'm keeping it for20 years, I might as well put money into it.

Back
Top Bottom