NT, let us talk about Phoenix, Arizona. fun in the sun?

Don't waste your time anywhere other than Tempe, Phoenix or Scottsdale. Still a very young city with enormous potential and great weather 8 months out of the year. Downtown Phoenix won't reach its potential for a few years but all the nightlife is in Scottsdale. Vegas is a 4 hour drive, So Cal a 5 hour drive or an hour on a plane. All 3 major sports are here with great stadiums and most importantly if you could gauge the area with the most hot chicks per square foot - no one is touching Tempe (ASU).
100 degrees with 10% humidity > 100 degrees with 100% humidity

Don't waste your time anywhere other than Tempe, Phoenix or Scottsdale. Still a very young city with enormous potential and great weather 8 months out of the year. Downtown Phoenix won't reach its potential for a few years but all the nightlife is in Scottsdale. Vegas is a 4 hour drive, So Cal a 5 hour drive or an hour on a plane. All 3 major sports are here with great stadiums and most importantly if you could gauge the area with the most hot chicks per square foot - no one is touching Tempe (ASU).
100 degrees with 10% humidity > 100 degrees with 100% humidity

I had a chance with my job to move down to AZ, I think Glendale is where the AF base is. I passed after looking at the race demographics plus I already figured it was extra conservative anyways and there was a lot of sensationalism around border crime. But looking at housing, the prices were ridiculous.

I had a chance with my job to move down to AZ, I think Glendale is where the AF base is. I passed after looking at the race demographics plus I already figured it was extra conservative anyways and there was a lot of sensationalism around border crime. But looking at housing, the prices were ridiculous.

lived there for 2 years. at first, it was a nice change from where im originally from (south fl), but it got old REALLY fast. i liked how it wasn't humid, and was welcoming the dry weather, only to notice my lips used to crack almost everyday, had to lotion myself 3 times more than in florida, static electricity builds up FAST (used to shock myself on damn near everything i touched) and it just didn't seem that good of an idea anymore.

scenery: you will not find any greenery anywhere (besides a cactus here and there) and a few shrubs. no grass, no large trees. just stones, gravel, cacti. i did like the mountains there, though. this, of course, was another change for me, as all i used to see was trees and grass. i remember playing on a baseball field that looked pretty good from the outside and had little specks of grass, but essentially, all the fields were 100% rocks on which you were playing on. horrible. grass just doesn't survive there.

buildings: 90% of the buildings are clay/sand color. houses are the epitome of cookie-cutter models, and it's just bland in general. everything looks the same. this, also, gets old really fast.

laws: we know about the immigration law that passed -- stupid. people are allowed to carry guns without a license. i was sitting in a diner with a few friends and almost every guy, in every direction i looked, had a gun in their holster at their side...unbelievable. they used to have speeding cameras on the highways, but they're gone now. idk i just found the state to be pretty weird.

there really is no downtown phoenix. it's dead. the only reason you'd go to downtown is for a sporting event. i was amazed at the "downtown" phoenix when i saw it...considering it's the 5th largest city in america.

the good things: if you're into outdoor activites, then this is the place for you. hiking, mountain climbing, river rafting, snowboarding/skiing, etc. arizona has it all. i wasn't really into all that stuff, so it didnt really affect me. i just needed a ball court and i was good. again, youre driving distance to vegas and cali, that's a plus if youre into going there. the weather is UNBEATABLE in the spring time, but get the hell out in the summer. winter can get chilly as well. scottsdale and the outer cities are generally new areas, so many new buildings, nice areas. scottsdale has the clubs, bars, etc. for the young adult crowd. barkley owns a house there (just fyi). a drivers license doesnt expire until youre 60 or something like that. and last but not least, CHEAP HOUSING!

that's just my review of it. people bring up food a lot, but that's a wash. everywhere you'll find good food, no matter where you live in the country. it may have been to drastic of a change of how i was brought up, but it gets old and tired REALLY fast.

lived there for 2 years. at first, it was a nice change from where im originally from (south fl), but it got old REALLY fast. i liked how it wasn't humid, and was welcoming the dry weather, only to notice my lips used to crack almost everyday, had to lotion myself 3 times more than in florida, static electricity builds up FAST (used to shock myself on damn near everything i touched) and it just didn't seem that good of an idea anymore.

scenery: you will not find any greenery anywhere (besides a cactus here and there) and a few shrubs. no grass, no large trees. just stones, gravel, cacti. i did like the mountains there, though. this, of course, was another change for me, as all i used to see was trees and grass. i remember playing on a baseball field that looked pretty good from the outside and had little specks of grass, but essentially, all the fields were 100% rocks on which you were playing on. horrible. grass just doesn't survive there.

buildings: 90% of the buildings are clay/sand color. houses are the epitome of cookie-cutter models, and it's just bland in general. everything looks the same. this, also, gets old really fast.

laws: we know about the immigration law that passed -- stupid. people are allowed to carry guns without a license. i was sitting in a diner with a few friends and almost every guy, in every direction i looked, had a gun in their holster at their side...unbelievable. they used to have speeding cameras on the highways, but they're gone now. idk i just found the state to be pretty weird.

there really is no downtown phoenix. it's dead. the only reason you'd go to downtown is for a sporting event. i was amazed at the "downtown" phoenix when i saw it...considering it's the 5th largest city in america.

the good things: if you're into outdoor activites, then this is the place for you. hiking, mountain climbing, river rafting, snowboarding/skiing, etc. arizona has it all. i wasn't really into all that stuff, so it didnt really affect me. i just needed a ball court and i was good. again, youre driving distance to vegas and cali, that's a plus if youre into going there. the weather is UNBEATABLE in the spring time, but get the hell out in the summer. winter can get chilly as well. scottsdale and the outer cities are generally new areas, so many new buildings, nice areas. scottsdale has the clubs, bars, etc. for the young adult crowd. barkley owns a house there (just fyi). a drivers license doesnt expire until youre 60 or something like that. and last but not least, CHEAP HOUSING!

that's just my review of it. people bring up food a lot, but that's a wash. everywhere you'll find good food, no matter where you live in the country. it may have been to drastic of a change of how i was brought up, but it gets old and tired REALLY fast.

My parents live in Arizona. I am there all the time.

PROS:
-hot women
-spring training
-golf (although weather puts a HUGE damper on it)

CONS:
-weather (excruciatingly hot in the summer, paralyzing cold in the winter)
-driving (freeway system is terrible, tons of radar/cameras every mile or so, people there just cant drive)
-airport (always delays)
-entertainment (not a whole hell of a lot to do)
-lack of diversity (dont know if you care about this or not)

I wouldnt recommend it personally, but I am a huge pansy when it comes to heat. Moms called me the other day and said it was 119 degrees. Thats like FIFTY DEGREES hotter than I like it.
laugh.gif

PROS:
-hot women
-spring training

CONS:
-driving (freeway system is terrible, tons of radar/cameras every mile or so, people there just cant drive)
-airport (always delays)

I wouldnt recommend it personally, but I am a huge pansy when it comes to heat. Moms called me the other day and said it was 119 degrees. Thats like FIFTY DEGREES hotter than I like it.
laugh.gif

i would do it, but i hope youre white. place is real snobbish like stated...lot of money out there

i would do it, but i hope youre white. place is real snobbish like stated...lot of money out there

Originally Posted by dland24

PROS:
-hot women
-spring training

CONS:
-airport (always delays)

laugh.gif
I live in Tempe right now and I'm gonna have to disagree with you big time on this 
laugh.gif
. I can barely stand it from May-Oct where it's burning hot every damn day but imo from Nov-Feb it is perfect! True there will be some nights where it can dip into 40s but for the most part, the winter time will be in the 60s to 70s and that's 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 for me. I still remember my first winter in AZ after moving from Texas, I was wearing a wife beater and basketball shorts on Christmas day 
laugh.gif

OP, one thing I noticed after moving to AZ almost 5 years ago is that I have little to no use for heavy jackets or sweaters. 

Originally Posted by dland24

PROS:
-hot women
-spring training

CONS:
-airport (always delays)

laugh.gif
I live in Tempe right now and I'm gonna have to disagree with you big time on this 
laugh.gif
. I can barely stand it from May-Oct where it's burning hot every damn day but imo from Nov-Feb it is perfect! True there will be some nights where it can dip into 40s but for the most part, the winter time will be in the 60s to 70s and that's 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 for me. I still remember my first winter in AZ after moving from Texas, I was wearing a wife beater and basketball shorts on Christmas day 
laugh.gif

OP, one thing I noticed after moving to AZ almost 5 years ago is that I have little to no use for heavy jackets or sweaters. 

Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/ASU
devil.gif
= best four years of my life. Sad I had to leave.
frown.gif
I bet you'd enjoy it.

#SunDevil4Life

Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/ASU
devil.gif
= best four years of my life. Sad I had to leave.
frown.gif
I bet you'd enjoy it.

#SunDevil4Life

Born and raised in AZ and I basically agree with everything in here. Yeah it gets really hot in the summer and we are no where near the level of LA or NY. Downtown is getting better, like someone said give it 3-4 years and it might be on point. Also the desert ridge area is pretty cool and of course ASU area is always fun on the weekend. Pm me if you have any questions

Born and raised in AZ and I basically agree with everything in here. Yeah it gets really hot in the summer and we are no where near the level of LA or NY. Downtown is getting better, like someone said give it 3-4 years and it might be on point. Also the desert ridge area is pretty cool and of course ASU area is always fun on the weekend. Pm me if you have any questions

Originally Posted by proper english

so um.. why are houses so dirt cheap around the SPHX/Laveen area?.. im talking about a 4br, 3bath, 2500sq ft single home for under $100k.. in contrast, a modest 1500sq ft in the Scottsdale area can go upwards of $350k+
is it really that bad down there? 
nerd.gif
I'm originally from the Bay and I moved out here to Phoenix around 5 years ago and I'm living in Laveen right now. The Laveen area is actually not bad at all. It used to be all farms in the past from what I heard but it's really developed now. The whole area is pretty much new homes. The only bad part is how far it is from the East Valley. I go to ASU so it sucks driving 30 minutes every day for class but at least I got a HUGE house for 150k 
laugh.gif
 Downtown PHX is around 10 minutes away from Laveen so it's not in the middle of no where. AVOID south PHX unless you want a nice house in the middle of urban decay 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The weather here is the worst part. I came from Cali where we have some of the best weather in the US to this heat but once you get used to it, it's not that bad.

so um.. why are houses so dirt cheap around the SPHX/Laveen area?.. im talking about a 4br, 3bath, 2500sq ft single home for under $100k.. in contrast, a modest 1500sq ft in the Scottsdale area can go upwards of $350k+
nerd.gif
I'm originally from the Bay and I moved out here to Phoenix around 5 years ago and I'm living in Laveen right now. The Laveen area is actually not bad at all. It used to be all farms in the past from what I heard but it's really developed now. The whole area is pretty much new homes. The only bad part is how far it is from the East Valley. I go to ASU so it sucks driving 30 minutes every day for class but at least I got a HUGE house for 150k 
laugh.gif
 Downtown PHX is around 10 minutes away from Laveen so it's not in the middle of no where. AVOID south PHX unless you want a nice house in the middle of urban decay 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The weather here is the worst part. I came from Cali where we have some of the best weather in the US to this heat but once you get used to it, it's not that bad.

Originally Posted by Liban906

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My coach lived in Laveen while I was living in South Phoenix this past year. It's amazing how different it looked going 10 miles down Baseline
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom