NT Marines, come in... need your opinions, thinking about joining.

Discussion in 'General' started by aubstuh86, Mar 10, 2009.

1. aubstuh86

aubstuh86

To all the fellow NT marines, I got a question..... I've read and seen all the ads "the few, the proud, the marines". I'm 2 years away fromgraduating from college. I'm 21 right now and getting tired of the same %#%# different day school route. I want to do something that the average persondoesn't get to do and that is to join the marines. A family friend of mine is in the marines, joined at 17 and he's 24 now and claims it is a lifechanging experience. He's a martial art instructor for the marines...traveled the world, gained tremendous knowledge/experiences and discipline, andinteracted with all walks of life and is about to marry a dime from Colombia.

My main purposes of joining are to toughen up myself, discipline, travel the world, meet foreign chicks, and have a new outlook on life. I'm about to talkto a recruiter in a few weeks and I already checked out the website. I wanna know:

- your personal feelings and thoughts of being in the marines and your main purpose of joining
    - the process of applying and joining the marines
    - the requirements (being physically fit, healthy, I don't have any criminal records)
    - the eligibility: since i'm a college student i will be applying for an officer position(i think)
    - the terms of serving (how long do u have to serve, and what the personal benefits are. ive heard the marines pay for your tuition after u serve an x amountof years and they also pay u monthly around 2000 a month)
    - shoot me any general info about being in the marines

good looks.

2. domnator27

domnator27

3. aubstuh86

aubstuh86

BUMP...

4. i3allistic

i3allistic

well, i was in 98-02 ...i usually dont like telling people to/not to join...cuz i aint no recruiter and the fact its a BIG step in life ...you will seestuff more then the average person and learn alot ...i use to question myself when i was in "what the %!# im doing this for" cuz all the crap we gothru... but after all that i'm still proud that i was a marine...

i wouldn't worry about the physically demanding part if your somewhat in-shape...they break you down and build u back up[​IMG]..its all mental instead of physcial to me...i've seen plently of peoplebreak down, not cuz of the physical stress but of the mental stress that we go thru (away from home, death of fellow marine, long nights w/o sleep or lilsleep, dumb games) ...a older marine once told me, for every year your serve in the marines..you will grow 4 years older ...

5. tramond

tramond

well
    two of my boys enlisted right after graduation last may
    one of em just left for japan for 2 years
    my other boy just left for camp lejeune for 3
    both are in communications, so i think\hope they wont see much combat, and if so, they wont be on the frrontlines

now i can tell you that the marines has the most physically demanding boot camp
    they are probably the toughest (not including rangers, seals, special forces etc...)
    regardless of which branch you enter, you can have ur school paid for
    im not sure how the whole officer instead of enlisted thing goes, but there is OCS (officers candidate school)
    an im sure a recruiter can help u with all of those questions, just remember their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line
    not saying they'll feed u alot of bs...
    its a good idea to talk to your cousin alot more. he`ll give u what you want to know straight up

6. i3allistic

i3allistic

[​IMG]

7. tarvald drama chase

tarvald drama chase

yea great choice,
    if u dont want to be successful... make money, have fly hunnies or sick whips... then sure.. join.. but while u roll around in ur p.o.s navy issued jeep... illbe riding around in a benzo laughing at you

8. yungchris504

yungchris504

9. yungchris504

yungchris504

[​IMG]

10. aubstuh86

aubstuh86

good looks yungchris. what is the height/weight standard u speak of? i'm barely 5'7 155 pounds... not looking to employ in the frontlines, more alongthe lines of communications..

11. tarvald drama chase

tarvald drama chase

^ if u want to live in a giant sand trap for like 50 years while people that do well in school live in mansions, then the marines is the way to go... u willregret this descision for the rest of your life.. do not go... use your brain, stay, make money, and ball it up here in the U.S...plus its not like you canmake a difference anway..... why would u want to die for your country, when in all honesty.. it hasnt been that great to you in the first place if ur eventhinking like this

12. tarvald drama chase

tarvald drama chase

^ if u want to live in a giant sand trap for like 50 years while people that do well in school live in mansions, then the marines is the way to go... u willregret this descision for the rest of your life.. do not go... use your brain, stay, make money, and ball it up here in the U.S...plus its not like you canmake a difference anway..... why would u want to die for your country, when in all honesty.. it hasnt been that great to you in the first place if ur eventhinking like this

13. million dollar stacks

million dollar stacks

[​IMG]

14. trueshotaura

trueshotaura Banned

Wow that response is idiotic at best. The military officer training programs produce amazing opportunities where you can make $2k+ monthly (plus extraallowances if you're married have children0, Full Benefits Dental, Medical etc including your wife and children, they pay off college loans, 30 days paidleave, allow you to travel the world, and a pension after 20 years.

15. the takeover

the takeover

A giant sand trap for 50 years? Really?
    How about you go back to school and learn how to spell correctly, smart guy.[​IMG]
    Educate yourself on the subject before you judge something.

16. aubstuh86

aubstuh86

.. you're speaking upon something you have no idea about. all the marines i know/have talked to don't regret their decision one bit. andwho says i'll have to die for my country? i'm not fighting in the frontlines nor am i applying for it. i'm planning to join for my own personalbenefits, not for sheer patriotism.

17. i3allistic

i3allistic

Tarvald Drama Chase - [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

aubstuh86 -
    sorry man, but a enemy will aim for the officer first + radio operator [​IMG] , but im not sure if an officer get choices of what MOS they get topick when they graduate from OCS?!?

18. mrben23

mrben23

Ouch. Brought me outta my dormant stage. For your information Mr. Drama, I was in the Marine Corps. I have had more "fly hunnies" throwthemselves at me then you can count, I made enough money to pay my bills off while partying like a rock star and plan on buying my first house very soon. Mycollege is paid for, is yours? And I bought that Benzo you are talking about when I was 24. Did you get yours yet? Let me know when you do. Semper Fi, killer.

Mr. Ben

19. harlemtothebronx

harlemtothebronx

I know two people who joined.

One is out and a police officer, and the other is in for 2 more years.

They both hated it.

20. tarvald drama chase

tarvald drama chase

The Takeover-
    Why dont u go by to ur community college, and ill go back to my top 50 university... and 2nd best in my state.... how do u like them apples??

21. sorkoram

sorkoram

I'm military and attend a top 10 college..what? [​IMG]

Everyone is not an idiot that's in the military.

22. theconditioner

theconditioner

Don't go. My brother was in the Marines as well.

Do you want to be another tool for the world's largest terrorist organization? I wouldn't.

Want to join for the discipline?
    If you join, you will just learn to be obedient for no legitimate reason (at least in my opinion). You will gain discipline in one sense, but in another, isthat the only way you can attain it? Discipline through coercion? I see it as more of a challenge to discipline yourself on your own terms - much harder in myopinion. Plus, a number of individuals (not all) that my brother knew have ultimately lost any sense of discipline or "pride" that the Marinessupposedly stand for (drinking, drugs, etc.).

23. greezee

greezee

24. aubstuh86

aubstuh86

the thing is i dont want to be stationed anywhere near Iraq, the middle east or the gulf... will i have any say in where im stationed or is it automaticallyassigned based on your attributes? that's the main thing im worrying about.. fighting where there are high chances of casualties/death.. tryna avoid thatin any way possible.

my friend had a choice between cairo and colombia so he chose colombia. and i know the women come flocking like chickens if ure a marine [​IMG]

25. greezee

greezee

Marines fear nothing homey! If you're afraid/weary before going in, you Lost already. You are there to protect your brothers, and they arethere to protect you. I had
    no choice on where I went. I don't know how it is today, but I had no choice. It won't be as bad as you think. I am not saying that times won't getrough (especially in these days) but tv puts extras on things for ratings and to scare people.

[​IMG]at flocking like chickens. You just don't know man. Any Marine onNT, or on the street will tell you will be getting women like you were in the league.