NT MBA grads/current students.. Post Your Gmat Scores vol.I need to take it soon

Just what the title says..Post your Gmat scores, the Business School you got into, and your GPA from your undergrad..I want to see what im gonna be looking atwhen May rolls back around and i think about getting into an MBA program..

Also, your views on GMAT prep studies, whether or not they helped, and what are the best ways to prepare for the GMAT..thanks

good luck fam.

but for any top business school, work experience is hugely important

and dont concertrate in anything but finance or strategy/management.

Thanks for the reply...
About work experience..
How much work experience can they possibly expect a New college Grad to have? I mean, me personally, the only work experience i have is 3.5 years at UPS, itsjust a part time job to help with tuition reimbursement and a paycheck while in school.

But yeah, any advice on the GMAT and business school in general is appreciated...

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

good luck fam.

but for any top business school, work experience is hugely important

and dont concertrate in anything but finance or strategy/management.

what about a concentration in marketing?

There's no point in trying to get an mba when you have no work experience to speak of. If you don't understand why, I'd suggest you do someresearch.

Yea I've been told about the work experience things. I've been at my current job for 8 months, hopefully I'll stick at my current job till Fall2010 when I plan to get into Business School.

So how long are Gmat scores good for? I want to take it when IM fresh out of my undergrad, so i will still be sharp..I was looking at average work experiencefor top grad schools and some of them were like 5 to 6 years....If i take it after my undergrad will it still be good in..lets say 2012-13?

Originally Posted by 360wavesandxbox

So how long are Gmat scores good for? I want to take it when IM fresh out of my undergrad, so i will still be sharp..I was looking at average work experience for top grad schools and some of them were like 5 to 6 years....If i take it after my undergrad will it still be good in..lets say 2012-13?
I heard that the score is good for 1-2 yrs but I may be wrong. Guess it depends on the school.

Originally Posted by TimelessFlight

Originally Posted by 360wavesandxbox

So how long are Gmat scores good for? I want to take it when IM fresh out of my undergrad, so i will still be sharp..I was looking at average work experience for top grad schools and some of them were like 5 to 6 years....If i take it after my undergrad will it still be good in..lets say 2012-13?
I heard that the score is good for 1-2 yrs but I may be wrong. Guess it depends on the school.
GMAT Scores are good for 5 years

Thanks that sounds more like it..so..any Grads or current students? i would love to hear about what work experience you had..where u went..etc...

i'm planning to take it sept/oct in time for spring semesters. i bought the books and USNews just published a mag about all you need to know about gradschool requirements, avg salary after completion.

i have 3-4 years work experience w/ *+% pay... need to go somewhere with my life. any help? i was told 2 months study is sufficient. prolly enroll classes? I'm marketing major and been on the field slaving for 3-4 years. I was planning ot go MBA on marketing as well.. why did the above say dont go foranything unless Business/Finance?

the thing is, top mba programs dont expect you to have any work experience for fresh graduates which is also why like less than 1% of fresh grads get into topmba programs. mba programs are open environment and based mostly on the case study, and work experience helps that.

you have to have an excellent undergraduate resume as well as great internships, great recommendations, etc to even be considered into top programs.

the only reason why i said not to major in anything but finance or strategy is most people go to business school to have serious increase in pay, and i dontknow tons of marketing jobs that pay alot. i mean unless you want to work for nike or a consumer products company, i wouldn't suggest marketing. probably abetter quality of life, but your classmates going to work for mckinsey, goldman, morgan stanley, bcg, google, etc will be making like 250k first year out.

my view and opinion is stricly based on salary. im not saying marketing isn't a great thing and could have an excellent career, im just looking at thehighest paying jobs.

Lol i guess all the peeps in grad school are too busy to reply..i guess i might go to the bookstore and read up on it...

Any score above 700 with solid work experience will make you competitive to top 10 mba's. Your undergrad school is barely important, and your gmat score isprobably half as important (even less in my opinion) as work experience. A friend got into HBS with around a 690-710 (he has very poor english and did prettypoorly in the language sections) but he worked for IBM and working for IBM is definitely what helped him.

I know another person who got a 750 but they worked for an independent accounting firm and he only got into schools ranked around #10-#20.

^ Thanks for that input. I'm planning on getting some really cool internships so hopefully that will help me out. I'm doing one right now with afederal agency and I hope to intern with a Big 4 accounting firm next summer.

If it's anything like the GRE then a good 3-4 weeks of dedicated and diligent preparation is essential. Plus, simulating testing conditions is vital.

Back
Top Bottom