NT Mechanics - I Need Help

So on my way to work last night I run over a damn traffic cone (if I would have swerved I would have hit the cars next to me). As soon as I hit my gauges all shut off. I hear the cone pop out and I continue driving since the car kept running fine. When I get off work I start my car up and it starts up fine so I proceed to make a quick stop at walmart. On my way home from walmart my stereo light gets real dim, and my stereo then starts flashing on and off. I try to roll my windows up and down and they roll really slow, and my wipers were also very slow. As I get off the freeway I put my blinker on, and every time it blinks my acceleration hesitates. When I get to the light, my car shuts off. I got my brother to help me push my car home.  I get home and check the fuses for the gauges and that fixed my gauges. But now my car won't start. Under the car, on the ****** there are two sensors and  the wiring had been ripped out of one of the sensors. My question is. Would that sensor cause my car not to start? And what would cause all the electrical to be so slow and dim?

Sounds like a alternator problem.... but running over a cone wouldnt cause your alternator to go out

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Sounds like a alternator problem.... but running over a cone wouldnt cause your alternator to go out
I was thinking the same  thing. All the electrical stuff will go to $@!% for a lil minute before the car just completely dies when the alternators done, happened to my Impala.

I guess destroying wiring to some sensor could somehow affect the electrical system, but Im not deep enough into all the electrical stuff to really get into that. What car is it and what year? Does the wiring/sensor have any coloring/label/marks that could maybe be used to identify it?

What kind of vehicle op? Did u get any dash icons indication like check engine etc. ? Im not a mechanic but I know a lil bit, when u checked ur fuses did u check your battery connections? Running over a cone wont make your alternator go bad but if u had some wiring already loose a suspension jolt might loosen even more and make functionality difficult. Also how old is ur battery?

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Its a 2001 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SR20 engine.
you gonna answer any of the other, relevant questions?
indifferent.gif

Could be a the distributor, if not it's definitely your alternator.

Check under the car where the cone hit. It should be a pretty obvious problem. Just look for the damage.

Originally Posted by 365k

Could be a the distributor, if not it's definitely your alternator.
laugh.gif
how so?
like others said, 9/10 the alternator, but if you don't know what you're doing under the hood, don't fool around with the electrical components, you could get hurt or worse.

maybe it knocks some wires loose from the alternator though.

Back
Top Bottom