NT my brother's hoops coach is wasting his efforts

The team is already short handed in having two starters not in attendance.  They have a 10 point lead with 5 minutes and so he is subbed out for the scrubs.  The scrubs cannot score in 4 minutes and cant d up either.  The other team ends up getting an and 1 to take a 3 point lead with 22 seconds to go.  My brother is subbed in and in this league, there are no 3 pointers so he needs a quick two  and then foul for free throws.  He couldn't tie the game so they lose in the final round of the tournament.

This would have been avoidable if the coach let the starters play it until maybe a minute left. 

What can I do to make the coach realize that she is making unncessary subs at the wrong time?  this has happened so many times where she subs out the starters and blows a lead or calls it quits. My brother is discouraged after all these games and walks home empty handed. She's a gym teacher and has been coaching for 10 years.  (it's a grade 4-6 team) 

players play... coaches coach

sorry man
let it be a life lesson to your brother... in life you are going to have horrible coaches, teachers and bosses.  use all of them as learning experiences for when it is your turn to be in a leadership position

Fans always think they can coach better than the actual coach... In this case it is probably true because it is 4-6th grade coach, but it's 4-6th grade, so it's really not that big of a deal. I would probably just let it go

spree.jpg

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Get a blog...Your threads suck.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by th3answ3r

(it's a grade 4-6 team) 

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
srs? wow you hyped over a playskool pickup dawg??

Is this the playing stage where all 10 players follow the ball everywhere?! and travel and double like there's no tomorrow??

A lot of youth leagues have rules concerning how many minutes each kid gets to play. She may have her hands tied, trying to get them all PT.

Its elementary school, they need to let other kids to play too. Chances are he is 10-12, so he is learning a life lesson. Even though you are better, or think you are better, you gotta listen to the coach. If you think his talents are being wasted, enroll him in a summer league or some kind of club league. That way, if he is really that good, he can play against better competition.

You really getting this upset over a 4-6th grade team?
indifferent.gif
  Man get a life, they're kids. This is ridiculous

Originally Posted by th3answ3r

The team is already short handed in having two starters not in attendance.  They have a 10 point lead with 5 minutes and so he is subbed out for the scrubs.  The scrubs cannot score in 4 minutes and cant d up either.  The other team ends up getting an and 1 to take a 3 point lead with 22 seconds to go.  My brother is subbed in and in this league, there are no 3 pointers so he needs a quick two  and then foul for free throws.  He couldn't tie the game so they lose in the final round of the tournament.

This would have been avoidable if the coach let the starters play it until maybe a minute left. 

What can I do to make the coach realize that she is making unncessary subs at the wrong time?  this has happened so many times where she subs out the starters and blows a lead or calls it quits. My brother is discouraged after all these games and walks home empty handed. She's a gym teacher and has been coaching for 10 years.  (it's a grade 4-6 team) 

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

A lot of youth leagues have rules concerning how many minutes each kid gets to play. She may have her hands tied, trying to get them all PT.
Not only that, but they had a 10 point lead and I'm sure there's rules and penalties for what they refer to as "running up the score".
30t6p3b.gif

4-6? Thought we were at least tombout highschool here. They're pretty much required to let everyone play just let the kid shine in later years

Your like that annoying dad in the bleachers yelling at all the coaches and 10 year olds. Calm yourself.

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Originally Posted by Durden7

It's a grade 4-6 team, who the !%*$ cares?  lets the kids play.

it depends on the league imo.

if it's a league where the parents pay to have their kids play in it, then you play all the kids, even the ones that aren't that skilled.  however you do it so where it doesn't affect you winning or losing the game.  in leagues I coached in, every player had to play a minimum  of 15 minutes a game,  it was 4 10 minute quarters.  knowing this, i would try and play the lesser skilled players earlier in the game and spread their time out where they got their minutes but it had no real effect on the game. if we were winning by alot or the game was outta hand i would give them more minutes. basically i tried to develop their skills during practice and if they showed improvement they got more minutes but i made sure to do both develop the kids and coach to win games at the same time.    people talk about "the kids are here to have fun" but there's nothing fun about losing or getting blown out regularly.

that said, the lesser skilled players shouldn't be seeing crucial 4th quarter minutes in a close game unless it's absolutely required.  give them their minutes early so that they get their time and your best players are on the court when it counts in a close game.

Back
Top Bottom