NT office workers: Is it rude to microwave foods with "offensive" smells?

at my office during lunchtime, people microwave everything from pickled fish to curried lamb to kim-chee, and the aroma wafts all over the office. some days,you can catch a whiff in the hallway. given that it's a pretty diverse group of people at work, you always hear people complaining.

in your opinion, is it a person's obligation to be mindful of how the smell of their food is perceived by by-coworkers? i guess at the end of the day,what's deemed "offensive" is subjective, and based on personal preference, but i would think that there would be some foods that would beconsidered universally malodorous.

YES....after thanksgiving little old ladies be bring in chitterlings and greens with han hocks, pork gravy...having it smell like two pigs just had elevatorsex..SMH...have some discrection in the office.

I try to be mindful of how my food smells..

I'm not about to microwave some leftover squid and have that smell linger...
it's only common courtesy to your fellow co-workers

anything that I do microwave...I keep the lid on until I can go into my office where I can close the door and trap the smells.

We have a lot of employees who cook fish and it is beyond disgusting. It is not appreciated.

Our Kitchens are usually pretty distant from offices and cubicles so I wouldnt see the problem

and I usually try to keep the lid on my food

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

anything that I do microwave...I keep the lid on until I can go into my office where I can close the door and trap the smells.
but i have a cube. as i eat i try to keep the lid on so the smell dosent get out too much.

It's not that big of a deal to me. As long as no one is allergic to the smell, theres no problem. I've only ever microwaved things like hamburgers andstuff, but I wouldn't mind if someone came in with left over squid. Brings diversity.

I try to be mindful of how my food smells..

I'm not about to microwave some leftover squid and have that smell linger...
it's only common courtesy to your fellow co-workers

[color= rgb(204, 153, 0)]Aye, Dirty. What do you do for a living? I always imagine youworking in an office with a big desk firing cats for insubordination.[/color]

Microwaved kimchi?
sick.gif

you guys dont have a lounge or separate cafeteria area?
for some of my project sites, there are separate lunch rooms or cafeterias, while for others, there's no other place to eat besides your desk(or server room
laugh.gif
). i've noticed the same issues with common or shared lunch rooms that are equipped with a microwave, too.

oh I get that all the time in the office..especially people burning popcorn..that smoke burnt smell kills me man..
But they do it all the time.

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

for some of my project sites, there are separate lunch rooms or cafeterias, while for others, there's no other place to eat besides your desk (or server room
laugh.gif
). i've noticed the same issues with common or shared lunch rooms that are equipped with a microwave, too.
there's gotta be an empty conference room somewhere, though; no?
tough spot I guess. I'm thankful for having my own office.

its worse when people make comments like "eeewww $%# is that?" or "damn, what're you eatin a s__sandwich"

I just heat normal food in their... I learned not to do foreign foods @ the work place

I am very mindful of what I microwave here in the office. Nothing like smelling someone's lunch the rest of the day. yuck.

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

for some of my project sites, there are separate lunch rooms or cafeterias, while for others, there's no other place to eat besides your desk (or server room
laugh.gif
there's gotta be an empty conference room somewhere, though; no?
tough spot I guess. I'm thankful for having my own office.
my coworkers and i do end up commandeering a conference room every now and then when we feel like eating together (usually for delivery food), butfor me, the issue of food smell is not as big of a deal. there are times, however, when i'm forced to employ the good ole breathe-through-your-mouthtechnique.

on my end, i usually bring in foods that don't seem to offend people: turkey and cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, things like that.

Back
Top Bottom