NT Producers/Music Makers - How did you start??? Help me.

Figured I would get higher quality answers here than the music section. Move if you must mods!
To all my NT producers (I know there are a few very good ones on here) I have some questions. I just do not know where to start. 

Where did you guys start? Any forums with good tips/tutorials I can check out?

Anyone willing to lend some help from time to time? I have a new MacBook Pro and a little cash to spend on some good beginner equipment. 

I need help learning the basics of chopping/sampling and programming. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Twitter has a big advantage rite now.

make the correct, friends. build your own brand/empire. alot of people would like you go join up and have a 'power group' even if the other producer has a good history working with artist.

Never get hype if some one else tells you then can get you a placement with another artist. and it isn't the ARTIST them self.

all tho the artist will say yea,but not use your work.

a lot of artist will take advantage of you if your music quality is up there. but no one knows you , they will hit you with 'ill give you a shout out'

MAKE YOUR OWN SOUND. DO NOT DRIFT TO THE 'IN' SOUND.

Don't really give two +#$@* about the industry. 
F them.

Just looking for tips on the actual music making progress.

A genuine love and passion for music and a WANT to master the art of creating it.

Theres a couple ways you can go about it. Since your a beginner, My suggestion is to do some research. Go on youtube and look up how to make beats using FL studio or Reason 3 or 4. Those are the 2 software's I suggest. Then you'll need a midi controller. M-audio makes some good ones with combination keyboard and pads to trigger your sounds. Also for hands on, go to guitar center and you can play around with some of demo equipment to get a feel for what works for you.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Figured I would get higher quality answers here than the music section. Move if you must mods!
To all my NT producers (I know there are a few very good ones on here) I have some questions. I just do not know where to start. 

Where did you guys start? Any forums with good tips/tutorials I can check out?

Anyone willing to lend some help from time to time? I have a new MacBook Pro and a little cash to spend on some good beginner equipment. 

I need help learning the basics of chopping/sampling and programming. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Do you plan on using a DAW?

FL studio is by far the easiest program to make beats with... This mans tutorials will teach you everything you need to know about FL

Also get a MIDI keyboard and some monitors if you got the cash...
wink.gif

"DO NOT DRIFT TO THE 'IN' SOUND"

^Ryan this is on point and it's EXACTLY why %@+% is the way it is now.

Thanks guys.

I will purchase a midi eventually. Once I am knowledgeable enough.

Will FL be good enough for the future?

I would like to master a program that will grow with me as I grow with it. Will FL become obsolete at some point?

FYI, some of my inspirations/favorite producers are: Madlib, RJD2, Flying Lotus, Dilla, Afta-1, Premo. I like all genres of music and plan on incorporating my tastes in the sound and making long instrumental pieces - similar to flylo and those of that genre.

Thanks guys.

I would like to master a program that will grow with me as I grow with it. Will FL become obsolete at some point?

FYI, some of my inspirations/favorite producers are: Madlib, RJD2, Flying Lotus, Dilla, Afta-1, Premo. I like all genres of music and plan on incorporating my tastes in the sound and making long instrumental pieces - similar to flylo and those of that genre.
Yeah... I  know people who still use FL 8

I want to make instrumentals like DJ Premier. That raw hip hop noise with classic samples.
Best direction would be to purchase an MPC and go from there? If so, which one? The classic, or something more digital?

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Start with FL just to get used to using a DAW.

Keep it simple until you get the basics down.

Hardware isn't really necessary (minus a midi controller).

With software being more and more powerful. drum machines are steadily moving towards becoming obsolete.

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

I want to make instrumentals like DJ Premier. That raw hip hop noise with classic samples.
Best direction would be to purchase an MPC and go from there? If so, which one? The classic, or something more digital?

depends what your budget is

I would suggest the MPC 2500

Just get on fl and do work. Get the basics down, get your sound packs together, find a comfortable sound for yourself or explore different ones. As for forums and whatnot on this, dont hold your breath man. Very few people are willing to help, especially if they come to frustration easily. Once you know how to lay down a quick loop, melodies come easily. And chopping and sampling arent too hard either. Time is gonna become your bestfriend tho, buy dont let it get to you.

Learn the studio environment, it will help you with production and overall music creation in the future.

Check out http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Don't just focus on creating beats, get all around familiar. From different production approaches, for example hardware (outboard gear) & DAW (software ).

For hardware learn the analog mixer, speaker monitors, AD/DA, Cables and the different connectors, signal chains, compressors, eq's, mic pre's (the more you know, the easier it will all seem)

For software learn the different DAW (digital audio workstation) like Pro tools, ableton, Fl Studio etc.
Also get familiar with virtual instruments, (vst, rtas,tdm,)

Some producers focus strictly on the approach they learned on and dont diversify themselfs enough. So its good to try every approach until you figure out what works best for you.

For beginners / intro into making I'd recommend Ableton Live or FL Studio. (youtube videos can help you out)

Things you should buy
- Apogee duet 2
-Studio monitors or good production headphones (or both)
-Digital audio workstation of your choice (youtube video to make your choice)
-Midi controller of you choice (use midi cables instead of the usb bus power it comes with)
-Plugins of your choice ( from virtual instruments to software compressors & eq's.)

Than you can always build up, to adding analog mixer with outboard gear and upgrading your AD/DA for more channels/track count.

Gearslutz is a good board to learn all this and ask questions.

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

Thanks guys.

Yeah... I  know people who still use FL 8
Guilty
pimp.gif

just master a daw & you'll be straight

groove and all that depends on how much soul you develope over time
laugh.gif

I'd go with Ableton Live 8, no I dont use FL S anymore, I like a more hands on approach. I do more of a hybrid setup both hardware and software.

Also I suggested the apogee duet 2 but if you plan to use midi I'd go with the Mbox 3.

Garageband comes FREE with your new macbook.
I suggest you mess around with that and get a feel for the work flow, once you feel comfortable with working with the software go out and buy Logic Pro.
Logic is hands down the best DAW for creating. All you really need for the moment is a MIDI keyboard and some headphones. I suggest going with the Oxygen 49 key from M-Audio. You can always upgrade later.

Back
Top Bottom