NT school me on AMEX Cards

need to build some credit, and looking for another line of credit........are Amex cards worth all the hype? anyone with a Platium Card? Id like to know some pros and cons of the AMEX cards..i know i want one with some decent rewards, so help me out if anyone has constructive insight thanks in advance!

need to build some credit, and looking for another line of credit........are Amex cards worth all the hype? anyone with a Platium Card? Id like to know some pros and cons of the AMEX cards..i know i want one with some decent rewards, so help me out if anyone has constructive insight thanks in advance!

I believe they aren't as widely accepted as Visa, but supposedly the rewards/exclusivity on AMEX is better than Visa.

Just get an AMEX Centurion/Black card and you'll be all set.

I believe they aren't as widely accepted as Visa, but supposedly the rewards/exclusivity on AMEX is better than Visa.

Just get an AMEX Centurion/Black card and you'll be all set.

Annual fee, rewards, not accepted at some places--usually smaller businesses, pay your balance in full every month, looks cool.

Annual fee, rewards, not accepted at some places--usually smaller businesses, pay your balance in full every month, looks cool.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

They have AMEXs that can carry a balance, mostly their blue cards. 
As stated before, rewards-wise, AMEX is unmatched but not widely accepted.

You usually need a good credit score to get one too.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

They have AMEXs that can carry a balance, mostly their blue cards. 
As stated before, rewards-wise, AMEX is unmatched but not widely accepted.

You usually need a good credit score to get one too.

Not accepted everywhere...It can be a hassle.

To those who use AMEX cards with rewards, what are rewards?

Not accepted everywhere...It can be a hassle.

To those who use AMEX cards with rewards, what are rewards?

my lineup:

Citi mtvU - 5% restaurants, bookstores (including Amazon), movie theaters
Chase Freedom - 5% quarterly for certain purchases (larger max purchase)
Discover - 5% quarterly for certain purchases (small max purchase), GREAT online cashback (tons of retailers with 5%+ cashback, usually able to double dip with other cashback like fatwallet)

the mtvU card used to be MONEY especially because i purchased a lot of big items (electronics, TV's) from amazon (which also means i don't have to pay sales tax) and the Citi's thankyou network allowed those with student loans to get $100 for every 10,000 points. they've since increased the points needed for those student loan rebates, but they still have a fair amount of $100 gift cards for 10,000 pts.

the discover card is awesome because they have a ton of participating retailers for their cashback store (e.g. 15% macy's, 20% groupon, 15% nikestore, 5% orbitz).

best of all there's no annual fees for any of them. i'm not a fan of paying money (annual fees) to spend money, so naturally i'm not a fan of amex.

my lineup:

Citi mtvU - 5% restaurants, bookstores (including Amazon), movie theaters
Chase Freedom - 5% quarterly for certain purchases (larger max purchase)
Discover - 5% quarterly for certain purchases (small max purchase), GREAT online cashback (tons of retailers with 5%+ cashback, usually able to double dip with other cashback like fatwallet)

the mtvU card used to be MONEY especially because i purchased a lot of big items (electronics, TV's) from amazon (which also means i don't have to pay sales tax) and the Citi's thankyou network allowed those with student loans to get $100 for every 10,000 points. they've since increased the points needed for those student loan rebates, but they still have a fair amount of $100 gift cards for 10,000 pts.

the discover card is awesome because they have a ton of participating retailers for their cashback store (e.g. 15% macy's, 20% groupon, 15% nikestore, 5% orbitz).

best of all there's no annual fees for any of them. i'm not a fan of paying money (annual fees) to spend money, so naturally i'm not a fan of amex.

Like others have said, they are definitely not accepted everywhere.  The Blue cards you can carry a balance and pay it off monthly, and there is no annual fee.  For all their other cards I believe there is an annual fee, although they will probably waive the first year.

Their customer service is top notch.  I've heard that they warranty products longer than the manufacturer's, but I've never tried.  I do know that if you want to dispute a charge, they always credit your account and then they go and do their own research of the transaction and if they side with you the credit stays.  If not, you pay whatever the actual transaction was. 

Back
Top Bottom