NT School me on Arab-American culture

Looks like we got some new neighbors and from the looks of it they're from some sort of Middle Eastern background. I wanna go say what's up, seem likecool people. Hookah on the porch and some foreign tv program playing really loud.

Problem is, I only hear them speaking a foreign dialect and don't wanna just go be like hey guys! What kinda stuff should I know?

Diverse cultures FTW
pimp.gif

don't really know too much bout their culture, but most middle eastern people I've met are really chill and some of their females look smokin

Originally Posted by the north west

don't really know too much bout their culture, but most middle eastern people I've met are really chill and some of their females look smokin
QFT. also usually wealthy, at least the ones i've met.

Just say hi and be friendly, some people(regardless of ethnicity) don't want to be bothered or couldn't care less about being neighborly though. Feelthem out and take it from there.

They seem like chill dudes, like I said they had a hookah on the porch and their door was wide open. I wanted to just go shoot the #!#+ since it's summertime in a college town and not many people are around, so it'd be nice to get to know my neighbors. Just never really encountered a totally differentculture. I've got friends of many different backgrounds but they all share the same American culture if that makes sense. These guys had tv going in adifferent language, speaking in a different language n stuff so it's a little intimidating ya know?

Just go to a shop and bring them some premium flavored tobacco, or whatever it is that they smoke in their hookah.

Then, bring it over to them as a neighborly gift. Chances are that they'll invite you over to smoke it. From there, you just be social and make some newfriends.

I have quite a few Middle Eastern friends and they and their families are some of the nicest people. Whenever I visit them in their home, their mother or auntof grandmother almost always greets us with tea or coffee and often times insists that we have some food. Hospitality is a huge part of the Middle Easternculture, be they Muslim or Jewish or Christian or Arab or Armenian or Persian. In addition to their everyday hospitality toward guests, they can have somegrand parties with 50 or more people packed into their homes. Middle Easterners are almost always family oriented and convivial so they often times will haveall of their uncles and grandparents and in laws and nieces and nephews and they feed everyone by cooking entire lambs and the women will be running multipleblenders to make the hummus and other sauces.

I love the fact that we have a good deal of Middle Easterners in our community. Their food, their tea, their coffee, their sense of style, their hospitalityand their beautiful women all make my town and region, that much more vibrant and lively.

Walk up and say hello and offer a pastry of sort. Fruit basket is acceptable, but we like pastries. After that you should have a loyal ally next door.

None of that chocolate chip cookie and apple pie stuff. Either simple like a nice pound cake to have with tea, or a nice cake on some strawberry shortcake tip.Oh yea, I like...I mean we like blueberry muffins also. Extra blueberries is a must.

Originally Posted by youngnflithy

None of that chocolate chip cookie and apple pie stuff. Either simple like a nice pound cake to have with tea, or a nice cake on some strawberry shortcake tip. Oh yea, I like...I mean we like blueberry muffins also. Extra blueberries is a must.
laugh.gif

I appreciate the responses guys, I'll prolly just go up and say what's up next time he's outside. Maybe take some tobacco over for him

My Arabic friends on Facebook write some crazy %@+%.

Stuff like, "3ank" and "5aair". Those are words.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by ShAdYdaTGuy

just be nice. no alcohol or pork.
He didn't say they were muslim
yeah but if he said they were Arab. you should assume they are Muslim and respect there religion first since that's the most important inthere culture. if not, then it was still good you give Islam respect.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I have quite a few Middle Eastern friends and they and their families are some of the nicest people. Whenever I visit them in their home, their mother or aunt of grandmother almost always greets us with tea or coffee and often times insists that we have some food. Hospitality is a huge part of the Middle Eastern culture, be they Muslim or Jewish or Christian or Arab or Armenian or Persian. In addition to their everyday hospitality toward guests, they can have some grand parties with 50 or more people packed into their homes. Middle Easterners are almost always family oriented and convivial so they often times will have all of their uncles and grandparents and in laws and nieces and nephews and they feed everyone by cooking entire lambs and the women will be running multiple blenders to make the hummus and other sauces.

I love the fact that we have a good deal of Middle Easterners in our community. Their food, their tea, their coffee, their sense of style, their hospitality and their beautiful women all make my town and region, that much more vibrant and lively.

This.

Just be cordial and nice. Next time you see them, give them a hello and tell them you welcome them to the neighborhood. If they respond back, you can ask themquestions like where they are from, how they like it there, etc. Middle Eastern culture is a very lively culture and as the poster above said, they are huge onhospitality. In the Middle East, if there are even strangers passing by or travelers, and they see you, they welcome you into their home with open arms to feedyou. So, I am sure most likely they will be open to you.

It shows a lot about your character for the fact you want to get to know them and welcome them. Much respect to you.

where do you live?? I know you go to CMU....but I mean parents n stuff......

I dealt with different types of arabs.

Update: I just seen my neighbor at the bar so I went up n shot the !#*% with him...dude invited everyone over from what I understood over music/accent. Coolguy, ima hook him up with some hookah tobacco and have him over when my girl makes grapeleaves if he's as big of a fan as I am
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I have quite a few Middle Eastern friends and they and their families are some of the nicest people. Whenever I visit them in their home, their mother or aunt of grandmother almost always greets us with tea or coffee and often times insists that we have some food. Hospitality is a huge part of the Middle Eastern culture, be they Muslim or Jewish or Christian or Arab or Armenian or Persian. In addition to their everyday hospitality toward guests, they can have some grand parties with 50 or more people packed into their homes. Middle Easterners are almost always family oriented and convivial so they often times will have all of their uncles and grandparents and in laws and nieces and nephews and they feed everyone by cooking entire lambs and the women will be running multiple blenders to make the hummus and other sauces.

I love the fact that we have a good deal of Middle Easterners in our community. Their food, their tea, their coffee, their sense of style, their hospitality and their beautiful women all make my town and region, that much more vibrant and lively.

This.

Just be cordial and nice. Next time you see them, give them a hello and tell them you welcome them to the neighborhood. If they respond back, you can ask them questions like where they are from, how they like it there, etc. Middle Eastern culture is a very lively culture and as the poster above said, they are huge on hospitality. In the Middle East, if there are even strangers passing by or travelers, and they see you, they welcome you into their home with open arms to feed you. So, I am sure most likely they will be open to you.

It shows a lot about your character for the fact you want to get to know them and welcome them. Much respect to you.
This.

Take for example Hazel... she's actually setting me up with her younger sister. Isn't that nice of her? Gotta love that Middle Eastern culture!

i'm indian but Rex is right.
just be kind and courteous to them, us brown people are HUGE on hospitality.
my mom stays tryna feed all my people that come to my crib.
and a hookah on the porch?? that's bad %%%. they gotta be cool peeps.

how old are they, is it like a whole family??
and hazels right, hats off too for not being a profiling douche bag, i wish i could say the same abt a lot of people but i can't.

Originally Posted by ShAdYdaTGuy

just be nice. no alcohol or pork.
eyes.gif
Arabic =/= Muslim. Im Egyptian and I'm not Muslim.Just go up and talk like you would with anyone else. Most likely, theyll invite you in for tea or something, its a pretty common thing with us. Its funny, Iwent to a friends house and my friends mom was completely ignoring us. In my culture if someone new walks in the house, we make sure they feel at home and thatwe're hospitable.

Back
Top Bottom