NT, school me on Linux Ubuntu

I am currently using OSX and Windows and I wanna try out Ubuntu. How is it compared to Windows 7 and OSX? Where do I cop?

You don't cop. It's free.

But before you go out and install linux, you'll want to figure out which version you want, because there are literally 1000s that serve different purposes.

Is there anything that you are planning on doing with linux, or do you just kinda want it just cause?

Well, I want it just cuz but at the same time, I'll be using it to browse. Can I switch back and forth between Ubuntu and Windows?

It's real nice. I'm using the 2nd most recent distribution of Ubuntu, they come out with a new version every six months and a little bit ago the newest came out.

It was an upgrade over Windows XP for me, comes loaded with all the free software you could really need. Pidgin, Firefox, Gimp, Open Office, VLC, etc. Easy to use menus, system settings, etc. Besides having trouble with a few things not being compatible plus I'm not that knowledgeable about the ins and outs, someone with an interest in computers and software would probably enjoy the customization and freedom.

I can't compare it to 7 and OSX, but it's easy enough to install alongside if you're interested in playing around with it.

you could probably boot and have 2 on your harddrive if you know what ya doin

yea but linux just an open source easy for customization and etc....write stuff and all that jazz...heard it pretty cool

I made a thread about this a while ago and sadly it died out. I have Linux on my desktop back home and for w/e reason the router wouldn't connect so I couldn't get the best out of it. Idk why I haven't put it on my laptop yet.
You can get Ubuntu for free, I got the cd which takes about 4-6 weeks to get or you can download it. I heard Linux Mandriva was good too.
It's open sourced and runs really smoothly, comes with good apps. I remember reading about lack of MP3/DVD support unless you download something. And compatibility issues.
I remember being told that I should learn command lines for Linux.

Wouldnt really bother unless your bored and have the time/patience's to get it to work for you. Things like flash support in browser and mp3/video playback dont come as easy as the do with Windows. Try a live CD before making the final move.

Yeah Mastamind, there's a good amount of command line work, but thankfully there hasn't been a problem a Google search hasn't solved. There's a huge online community for Linux and they basically have the answer for everything.

I ran into trouble getting a good music player that was compatible with my ipod. Songbird was working, but the latest update got rid of ipod support, but one of the pre-loaded music players is working just fine.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Yeah Mastamind, there's a good amount of command line work, but thankfully there hasn't been a problem a Google search hasn't solved. There's a huge online community for Linux and they basically have the answer for everything.

I ran into trouble getting a good music player that was compatible with my ipod. Songbird was working, but the latest update got rid of ipod support, but one of the pre-loaded music players is working just fine.

Yea I gotta check out the forums more, I'm sure if I had Ubuntu on my laptop I would have learned by now.

Back
Top Bottom