NT Sports Injury Doctors Check in - Shoulder Injury

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience or injury.  I have a doc appointment scheduled for tomorrow to get it checked out, but if its not too serious I might save myself a couple of bucks and just cancel.

Was drilling takedowns in my brazillian jiu jitsu class last night.  I tried to go for a leg trip/hip toss takedown but was reversed on the way down.  I landed shoulder first and was unable to break my fall with my arm or side.  Right when I landed I felt a sharp pain (I guess its normal from falling on it) and then instant throbbing and a somewhat tingly sensation.  After the initial pain/throbbing subsided, my shoulder feels OK as long as my arm down by my side and I dont try to move it.  As soon as I try to move it I get a sharp concentrated pain right around the point (dont know what its called, but that bone that kinda sticks out right where your shoulder meets the top of your arm).  I cant really put any pressure on the arm (cant push or pull).  That being said, I still have somewhat full range of motion (albeit painful) and can lift my arm above my head, out to my side, and forward and back.  Since I can still kinda move my arm around it leads me to believe that there is no tear or break or anything serious. 

Should I just man up and ride it out and see if it gets better, or is it better to err on the side of caution and go in to get it scanned?  Has anyone else had a similar injury or situation before?

Thanks in advance.

Whatsup man,

What you are describing is an AC joint sprain/tear and the severity is graded just as an ankle sprain would be from 1-3 depending on structural damage to the ligaments.  It's good you still have full range, and it will take some time for it to heal/be completely pain free as ligaments require at least a good 8 weeks to lay down new tissue and get aligned properly. Even after this point you may experience pain due to altered mechanics/compensation and weakness in the area.

As far as treatment, for now ice it and let the inflammation and point tenderness subside.  It's going to feel best in the position as if you had an arm sling on, so if it is a severe sprain consider getting a sling for a week or so to prevent you from moving it.  After that time, depending on your normal fitness routine and or weightlifting stay away from overhead exercises and even flat bench. Gradually reintroduce these exercises later on but for now lay off them. 

I could type you a report on it, but it's a good time to educate yourself now that you know what it is. 

^ much appreciated.

i know this is a stupid question but im going to ask it anyway.

for something like this do you think its worth going to the doctor to take a look and maybe even get a scan or should i just sling it/ice it and stay off it? the fact that i am able to move it around makes me feel that its not too severe, but i dont want to do something stupid and slow the healing/recuperation process down. i'm already getting a bit depressed just thinkin bout being out of the gym for 8+ weeks. Im a fat dude and hate to exercise and jiu jitsu was finally an exercise/activity that i really enjoyed. Just the thought of having to get on a stationary bike for hours on end instead of being able to roll... feelsbadman

I pretty much had the same injury, except I got pushed going for a layup and my shoulder hit the wall hard. It's been about a week now, and there is still some discomfort, but its better than before. I think I should be fine within another week. To answer your question, I didn't get it checked out by the doctor. I knew it was nothing severe, and that icing+rest was the only option really.

^ thanks for the insight.

how was your arm/shoulder the day it happened and the day after? my entire left side (injured shoulder side) felt like spaghetti. i could barely reach down and put my socks on this morning and actually had to just do it with the other hand. It actually feels a lot better right now (still sore as hell), and I dont know if its just the 4 advils I took at lunch, or that it was just sore right when it happened and the pain is naturally subsiding.

When it first happened, it didn't hurt that much, but that night, it hurt so much that I almost went to the emergency care center(and I'm someone that can handle pain). As far as the next day, I couldn't do ANYTHING, couldn't put on my socks, shirt, shoes without a sharp pain.

sounds pretty similar to me. i had pain at the moment of impact but it wasnt a debilitating pain, probably cause of the adrenaline pumping as we were going pretty hard. it wasnt until later that night after i had kinda settled in where the throbbing got a lot worse.

good enough for me... guess im gonna save a few bucks and cancel my doc appt and hope for the best. thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom