NT Vegetarians? Need some help

cj863

Banned
I've been contemplating becoming a vegetarian for a few months now and I'm finally gonna go through with it. I've googled plenty of things
and found all sorts of info but is there any advice you could share on making the transition? 

I'm not a vegetarian.

But with anything you are trying to do, it is better to gradually ease yourself into it rather than trying to go at it cold turkey. Try not eating meat for 2-3 days at a time. Then increase it by a day when you get more tolerant.

Just go for it fam and dont look back, becoming vegetarian was one of the best choice I ever did. Tell me what type of info you looking and I'll help you out.

Cheese Replacement- Daiya Cheese
Cow Milk Replacement - Almond Vanilla Milk or Organic Soy Milk
Ice Cream Replacement - Turtle Mountain Purely Decadent made from soy or coconut, the soy taste better, it's up there with the Hagen-Daz and the Ben and Jerry, only thing it dairy free.

You should first give up red meat, then chicken, then fish, then yuo should be good. Make sure you take multi-vitamins. Welcome to the club.

Yeah definitely make sure you take a multivitamin and creatine as well. A good multivitamin is Deva Vegan multivitamin iron free and a vegan creatine is Now Foods Creatine Powder.

Originally Posted by BmoneyBagz

Just go for it fam and dont look back, becoming vegetarian was one of the best choice I ever did. Tell me what type of info you looking and I'll help you out.

Ice Cream Replacement - Turtle Mountain Purely Decadent made from soy or coconut, the soy taste better, it's up there with the Hagen-Daz and the Ben and Jerry, only thing it dairy free.
That's Vegan though, Vegetarians can still eat dairy.

I quit cold turkey so you don't need to ease yourself off of it but it certainly makes it easier. Just study it and look up recipes and all of the substitutes. The only problem I had was I did no research and only ate PB&J for like a week. Been over 4 years since I became one.
pimp.gif
No looking back.

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

I quit cold turkey so you don't need to ease yourself off of it but it certainly makes it easier. Just study it and look up recipes and all of the substitutes. The only problem I had was I did no research and only ate PB&J for like a week. Been over 4 years since I became one.
pimp.gif
No looking back.
laugh.gif
 Bruh I've been living off of vegetable fried rice for a week now, I did some research but I was still kinda on the fence about what to eat and what not to eat.

I'd love to cut dairy out slowly as well. I guess the things I need advice on are replacements and how to keep myself healthy without the nutrients that I got from meat.

^^^
roll.gif
roll.gif
 broccoli and garlic sauce here. I need to do some research to find out what is filling and has enough nutrients to keep me going

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

pimp.gif
No looking back.
Came in here to post the same exact thing, only I was stuck on cheese pizza for that week
roll.gif
. So far it's been a great decision. You can choose to take a vitamin supplement or something, but you really don't have to unless you don't have a balanced diet. I lost a little muscle mass towards the beginning, but when I actually started to take vitamins and proteins into consideration at the grocery store I haven't noticed anything odd or weird about my body. I've been going for about a year strong, and aside from the occasional fish, I haven't had any desire to cave in. (And the fish is only when there isn't any other option...seminars and what not that only serve chicken and fish. -___- )

The thing I was least prepared for wasn't even about the food- get ready for a lot of hate. Maybe it's just the people around me, but when I first started there were a lot of nay sayers, and once I had it going for a while the same people started making snide remarks like "Ooooh, we can't all be healthy like Sol" when going out and stuff...people seem mad for wanting to live a healthier life and always make it seem like some sort of holier than thou art type of deal. *Shrug.* Hopefully your circle is more supportive.

Best of luck though, homie. What's the motivation? If you don't mind my asking.

Sol: thanks for the advice man, honestly my motivation is to simply be healthier and eat healthier. I used to eat a lot of processed food and started seeing how horrible it really is
for our bodies.

Topherr: why not?

Also thanks to everyone else that contributed some info. NT fam always looks out
pimp.gif

What type of vegetarian you’re seeking to become? (Vegetarian, Vegan, Fruitarian, Pescatarian)

So are you going to continue eating cheese and eggs?

Anyhow, if you haven’t started your transition phase, you want to start off with giving up red meat first for 2 weeks, then chicken for 2 weeks, then fish/seafood for 2 weeks. Or, try only eating chicken or seafood only 2-3 times a week for a month. Also, find recipes ( I make the best tofu burgers) and places to eat to inquire your taste in vegetarianism.

Mock meat brands - Morning Star farm, Boca, Amy’s Kitchen, Gardein, Lightlife (not my favorite), Yves, any type of tofu (can be found at Kroger, Trader Joes, Whole food)

Start eating at vegetarian restaurants.

You will need to start taking proteins supplements preferable vitamins and/or multi-vitamins. (Very Important)
Do not fall for junk food, regardless whether you become a vegetarian or not. Fruits are life savers.

marmour: No I plan on cutting out the cheese and eggs too. Personally I feel like going cold turkey cold work better for me since I'm a picky eater anyway. I've been looking into
veggie restaurants in my area and we have a pretty good selection as well as grocery stores like earth fare and new leaf market. Can you recommend any protein supplements, and as
far as snacks what would you suggest along with fruits?

i did a vegan diet for 5 days... its too pricey and it didnt feel me up.. theres no tofu/nut/etc that could satisfy my hunger like chicken/fish/turkey.

maybe years down the line ill do it again but right now as a student i dont have the funds/time to maintain it.

Originally Posted by CJ863

marmour: No I plan on cutting out the cheese and eggs too. Personally I feel like going cold turkey cold work better for me since I'm a picky eater anyway. I've been looking into
veggie restaurants in my area and we have a pretty good selection as well as grocery stores like earth fare and new leaf market. Can you recommend any protein supplements, and as
far as snacks what would you suggest along with fruits?

You do protien shakes.  I use Source of Life Engery Shake.  It has everything in it and it's great for shakes with fruits.

http://www.sourceoflife.com/product...595&criteria=keywordSearchResults&category=15

CJ863, make your own protein from trueprotein.com (45% Pea, 35% Hemp, and 25% rice combo) or (70% Pea and 30% rice).

Going vegetarian or fish only helped me quit smoking. I have since started back again, but I plan on going the same route for awhile. Who knows, maybe I'll keep it up for good...

update: so I just came back from earth fare, I attempted to shop but got completely overwhelmed
laugh.gif
the only thing I got was organic cereal, almond milk, and some snacks . I have no clue what to eat as far as dinners and and lunch go
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by CJ863

update: so I just came back from earth fare, I attempted to shop but got completely overwhelmed
laugh.gif
the only thing I got was organic cereal, almond milk, and some snacks . I have no clue what to eat as far as dinners and and lunch go
30t6p3b.gif
CJ863, here a website with a few sample diets. Same thing happen to me first time I went shopping when I made the switch to go vegan, it was the opposite with me tho I purchase mad stuff I didn't even get to used since I don't even know what I was buying. I was just picking up mad stuff.

http://www.veganbodybuild...om/?page=article_soyfree
http://www.veganbodybuild...m/?page=article_moderate

Back
Top Bottom