NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Nice little care-package. I'd be down for trading with you guys. I'm in Chicago, feel free to send PMs if you're looking for anything in particular.

i spy. Came home to this

Big ups to Comparison Ford Comparison Ford

Where do I begin this journey?
wishing i had more access to more tradable beers right now

places like Tired Hands and Sole Artisan Ales aren't terribly far but release for Tired Hands are in the middle of the week and I work M-F, Sole Artisan Ales are always sold out release day from what I gather...not really practical to do things like this with young ones as well

picked up four more cases today, cost less than two cases from other half

Next in the one hitter series is Davey Murray's Best Scotch Ale, 8% ABV, sounds interesting enough

Last edited:
Going into this thing a bit blind. Trying to keep known info on them to a minimum

So far. Quite amazing

Aroma. Straight citrus and hop plant aroma. Ive smelt that before on some really great beers. Doesnt let down
Taste though. Such a soft delicate carbonation, flavor, and mouthfeel. Scary abv. It tastes carbonated But at the same time, no real co2 "coca cola" bite that some beers have. Such a beauty. I taste hops, I burp hops, but IBUs have to be in 20-40 range, as any lingering bitterness is non existent.

I want to say a beer like Mother Road Tower Station is close to this. But even at a month old (compared to two week old TS) this one holds up tremendously. I think a lot would be lost without the aroma here, so its best not to let beers get too old.

Near perfect. Not sure where I can go from here :D

Last edited:
Going into this thing a bit blind. Trying to keep known info on them to a minimum

So far. Quite amazing

Aroma. Straight citrus and hop plant aroma. Ive smelt that before on some really great beers. Doesnt let down
Taste though. Such a soft delicate carbonation, flavor, and mouthfeel. Scary abv. It tastes carbonated But at the same time, no real co2 "coca cola" bite that some beers have. Such a beauty. I taste hops, I burp hops, but IBUs have to be in 20-40 range, as any lingering bitterness is non existent.

I want to say a beer like Mother Road Tower Station is close to this. But even at a month old (compared to two week old TS) this one holds up tremendously. I think a lot would be lost without the aroma here, so its best not to let beers get too old.

Near perfect. Not sure where I can go from here
happy.gif
Off to a good start, it seems. That one was hopped with Nelson, Motueka, El Dorado and was subsequently dry-hopped with Citra and Mosaic lupulin powders. 

You brought up a good point about a lot of East coast IPAs.   Everyone obsesses over the hops, but I feel that the success of a lot of East coast IPAs is due to other factors.  I tend to appreciate the malt and yeast used in these beers as much as I appreciate the hops.  Perfect carbonation is also a key feature of a lot of these beers.  Hard to think of any East coast IPA that I've had where the carbonation has been "prickly" or overdone.  

I'm intrigued by the comparison to Tower Station considering that these beers are significantly different in terms of ABV.  Either Tower Station is incredibly flavorful for its ABV, Blowin' Up The Spot is incredibly easy-drinking for its ABV, or both. 

Either way, glad you're enjoying.  Cheers!

I like drinking a dark beer and then a light beer, had some high west ified and then Wolters pilsner, nice contrast

Mixed a six of these, dogfish makes great beer but it has been over saturated around me so theres lots of old bottles on the shelves

Pick ups for this weekend. Surprised my spot had some barley wine left over, grabbed the last three bottles.

This pirate bomb was great, very easy drinking for 15%.

Last edited:
Beer scene in NYC legit now.

Oops I mangoed has such a fresh born yesterday citrus vibe. I tend to call beers like this bright. Just dynamic hop flavors. Close talker a touch more of a muted flavor.

Super impressed thus far comparison ford. You are truly spoiled and deserve it. That scene is blowing up. Does anyone do a west coast IPA blend? I can't but help crave ibus and a true tongue tingling balance after a couple. Soon enough you will get that balance lol

Last edited:
Beer scene in NYC legit now.

Oops I mangoed has such a fresh born yesterday citrus vibe. I tend to call beers like this bright. Just dynamic hop flavors. Close talker a touch more of a muted flavor.

Super impressed thus far comparison ford. You are truly spoiled and deserve it. That scene is blowing up. Does anyone do a west coast IPA blend? I can't but help crave ibus and a true tongue tingling balance after a couple. Soon enough you will get that balance lol
Glad you're enjoying so far. I'd agree that Close Talker is one of the lesser offerings of the package.  It's a good beer, but it's nothing to write home about.  

NY is definitely in a beer Renaissance at the moment, and it's only gotten progressively better and better.  I'm officially saturated with amazing options to the point where I now have to pick and choose what releases to go to. Other Half is now canning on a weekly basis, Sand City is virtually bi-weekly at this point, Threes, Finback and LIC beer project are averaging a can release every month, and Grimm cans/bottles seem to pop up twice a month these days.  I know that other parts of the country have an equally robust beer scene, but I can't think of a place I'd rather be than New York right now when it comes to local offerings.  

As far as west coast-style IPAs goes, it's slim pickings.  Other Half's flagship IPA is "west coast-style," but they just tweaked the recipe and renamed it "Other Half IPA 2.0."  Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it's been revamped to appeal to the masses that want something closer to a "juice bomb" than a bitter, piney beer. Magic Green Nuggets and the older batches of Broccoli seem to hit a nice balance between west coast and east coast IPAs, but I think that's about as close as you're gonna get these days. 

Keep the feedback coming.  I'm sure you'll uncover another gem or two in the beers I sent you. Cheers!

^3 years ago almost nothing hoppy or vibrantly flavored seemed to exist. Now, as CF has mentioned, at least 5+ doing some big things that rival other areas by far.

The beer scenes online are dominated by imperial stouts and hoppy pale ales/IPAs. So in some sense, there is definitely a resurrection. But that's not always the greatest of gauges. If you aren't keen to the styles, you may have missed the rebirth.

Brooklyn and Sixpoint (and Blue point who got bought out by AB IN BEV) have your core offerings down. Even if Sixpoint brews in MO. Even up north a bit from NYC is Captain Lawrence with a true "unique" portfolio vibe, or even the likes of Ithaca with standard core offerings.

I guess what happened is, the core offerings have stayed, and the true Renaissance men/women really got things going less than three years ago. That has caused a spike in social media interest and new beer drinkers waiting in lines.

That's how I see the NY scene.

For better or worse, I think both scenes can coexist.

Slight TL;DR, if you like stouts or IPAs, the scenes everywhere have exploded. Otherwise, you may have missed it.

Last edited:

NY beer on the come up?

Nobody told me this. 
nerd.gif
Off the top of my head, NYC has:
Other Half
Singlecut
LIC Beer Project
Greenpoint
Inter Boro
Sand City
Finback
Threes Brewing
KCBC

and thats all within the city, except for Sand City being on long island, Upstate NY has some good breweries as well now with equilibrium and suarez brewing

Also Grimm and Eviltwin look to be opening up locations in Brooklyn this year  

Last edited:
The fun continues. Im trying to space these out so my senses arent overwhlemed

LIC party crasher

Smells great. ABV at 5.5% for me, makes it feel a bit watered down on the back end. It doesn;t have that burst of hop flavor, although you initially smell and taste it. its sutble

LIC Samo ipa

Basically exactly what I was looking for out of the flaws in party crasher. This has a nice bite. Not so much bitterness, but just more of a fresh hop burst of flavor. Citra hops really coming out to play

4.25 and 4.5 respectively

You are really spoiling me here. I need to switch it up tonight to other styles to get a true contrast in flavors. Various aged Elevated IPAs up next

Last edited:
Transient did a limited drop of Juice is Loose in Chicago on the 30th. Drinking my second can tonight and this is a truly great IPA.

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything about Grimm's stouts but really looking forward to it.
They have only done two stouts plus a few barrel aged variants, Sumi Ink and Double Negative which won Gold at the Great American Beer Festival in 2015, Sumi Zest is supposed to come out this week, supposed to be a non barrel aged version of Sumi Ink that has orange zest added

I had a good feeling about citrusinensis and orange side car. Both are delicious. The citrusinensis had a juiciness that approaches mega mix but not quite. I really like the orange side car. That citrus zest is apparent with a slight sweetness. Its a good combo.

Back
Top Bottom