NT, what should I do vol. College

iblink

Banned
I'm officially a sophomore and my gpa is at a 3.0 flat out. I figured this semester will be spent doing the real college thing (studying and no partying)so I can boost it up a bit so I can transfer to a new place. I really want to get out of Ga. because I'm afraid that if I stay here, I'll end upmissing out on a lot of life. It's easier to move around when you're in school, as opposed to being in a career.

So I'm thinking about either moving out west or up North. I've been accepted to the University of Oregon under the stipulation that I pass one lastmath class. I've always wanted to live out west (Cali preferably, but w/e).

Other than that, I'm thinking about applying to the University of Rhode Island or Johnson and Wales University. I've lived up north for the most of mylife, but never for the college experience. Plus I want to get into law and politics and I think rubbing shoulders with the ritsy people in RI would help abit.

Any advice?

For some reason I thought you were in Florida. Well I definitely support your decision, why not transfer, I mean this is a once in a lifetime thing.

It's easier to move around when you're in school, as opposed to being in a career.
Not really. People relocate all the time due to more attractive offer elsewhere.

I wouldn't relocate just to 'get away'. I would relocate based on the parameters of 1. reputation of school, 2. quality of your major programoffered, and maybe 3. cost of living (if you're not made of money).

Come to Oregon, bruh. It's fun.
pimp.gif

There are a ++** load of U of O heads that post on here. Go over to ST and you'll find a sig in no time. I also got a bunch of friends who are up there,seems to be mixed feelings. Personally I recommend southern cali for a number of reasons.

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

There are a ++** load of U of O heads that post on here. Go over to ST and you'll find a sig in no time. I also got a bunch of friends who are up there, seems to be mixed feelings. Personally I recommend southern cali for a number of reasons.
SoCal is great, but cost of living is damn high...especially for (most) college students. I'm truly spoiled here, the only reason I turneddown a $65,000 job offer from Phoenix. Because of the weather, I don't think I can ever relocate to places with say, snow.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

It's easier to move around when you're in school, as opposed to being in a career.
Not really. People relocate all the time due to more attractive offer elsewhere.

I wouldn't relocate just to 'get away'. I would relocate based on the parameters of 1. reputation of school, 2. quality of your major program offered, and maybe 3. cost of living (if you're not made of money).

1. I'm trying to do research on the three schools I listed, but there's only so much I can learn from a website that's trying to persuade me to come to that school.

2. I'm a Poli Sci / Philosophy major and again, I can only take away but so much from the websites.
laugh.gif

3. I'm in the process of getting a grant that's supposed to take care of mu undergrad tuition.

I suggest a SoCal school, everytime I visit I appreciate it that much more. I'm from the south and I'll tell you besides the high expense living, therewould be no other place I'd rather live.

Yeah I'd like to go to a school in Cali, but the economy over there isn't that great and the price of living isn't in my range right now.

For a college student the price of living really shouldn't be a problem. All the schools I'm familiar with down here have some sort of off campushousing. Basically off campus apartments that are run through the school. It's no more expensive than anywhere else in the country. As for the economy,again as a college student I really haven't been significantly effected.

If you're heart is set on out west then go out west. U don't wanna NOT go and then regret it. And the whole transferring more than once doesn'tlook good on transcripts and what not. Shows inconsistency and lack of "grounding"

I was living in the midwest and transferred out to cali after my sophomore year. DO it, I have NO regrets, and california is an experience I would recommendanyone, I come home for the summers and every-time I realize why I went out there in the first place. IMO Transfer to cali, even though you didn't name anyschools
laugh.gif

There are quite a few, there are two routes you could go, public or private. California has a great public school system, UC Irvine, Cal Poly, the list goeson......I went private, mostly due to the fact that my previous school was private and my credits transferred perfectly. Socal or Norcal?...I chose norcal, buthonestly SoCal would be the place to be (I want to go there for Grad)....There is Loyola....St. Marys......Pepperdine, Pacific, the list goes on bro,, thequestion is what are YOU looking for in a school.

I'm looking for a school that's going to prepare me for law school, a career in law, and one day politics. I know the east coast is a pretty stableplace to be for one who plans on pursuing a career in that field. Besides Stanford Law, I'm not too sure about the West Coast when it comes to what I wantfor my future.

If I were to move out west, it would most likely be to satisfy my desire to live over there.

Some of the schools in California require at least 60 credits and I only have 30. I'm looking to have about 42 at the end of the fall semester and I'mtrying to transfer for the Spring semester.

I am going to law school as well: majoring in politics, it's up to you, as far as transferring into the pulic system you are gonna have to wait atleastanother year which means private. Let me know if you have any questions regarding transferring to cali, or in general I know it can be rough.

Originally Posted by iBlink

I'm looking for a school that's going to prepare me for law school, a career in law, and one day politics. I know the east coast is a pretty stable place to be for one who plans on pursuing a career in that field. Besides Stanford Law, I'm not too sure about the West Coast when it comes to what I want for my future.

If I were to move out west, it would most likely be to satisfy my desire to live over there.
go here:

LINK!!!!!

I'm not incredibly knowledgeable in this area, but my friends in the UC system have gotten ample experience in politics through lobbying at their localsenator and congressman offices as well as doing the UCDC program. In the UCDC program many of them were able to rub shoulders with politicians and othergovernment employees in internships they obtained while living in the heart of Washington DC.

In terms of schools in CA, there's Stanford, USD Law, UC Hastings (kinda new), and UCI (just recruited their first class) off the top.

Back
Top Bottom