NT, Why is Common so under-appreciated?

I don't have the time for a Harlem On The Rise-esque presentation
laugh.gif

but Lonnie has been one of the most consistent rappers in the game for close to 20 years now and i feel like he's en route to getting better

Com' dropped 3 GEMS (Like Water For Chocolate, Be [top 5 hip hop albums of the 2000s*] , Finding Forever) in a decade where some of the biggest names couldn't drop 2

Even the oft-criticized Electric Circus (which i bump heavily) served as a predecessor to 'Ye's 808s & Heartbreak

yet when his name's brought up nowadays, i feel like people just brush it to the side like dude doesnt belong in that class

thoughts?

* any topic for another day

Because his music is forgettable. He can still rap when he features on other people's songs but his albums have been weak since Be. He needs a fully J. Dilla-esque/Kanye pre-808's produced album

Like Water for Chocolate>>>>>>>>Be

Agreed on Electric Circus, I personally think Be sucks though
ohwell.gif

I don't know I've always seen Com get his due, even here on NT.

His body of work is appreciated. UMC was trash though, that album definitely tarnished his legacy.

I like Common. Like Water For Chocolate is one of my favorite CDs...

That said, when dude started @%#++%% with Erykah Badu and came out looking like a bootleg Andre 3000,
smh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

He lost some points with me.

laugh.gif

Since Be, he hasn't done anything at all noteworthy. His last couple albums have been duds. He needs to find his way again.

He's appreciated. Trust me. First track that made me explore Common was either "I used to Love H.E.R" or "The Light". Dude makes wonderful, introspective and enlightening tunes. Common is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

Since Be, he hasn't done anything at all noteworthy. His last couple albums have been duds. He needs to find his way again.
Finding Forever was a great follow up to Be.

the unreleased joints from the album that've been leaking lately are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

UMC gets heavy spins too

When I heard this song I realized how I had been underrating this guy's whole career. I heard his first album and played that constantly, but man, dude is seriously under-appreciated.

He started making Hug Rap , it was too melancholy lol . He is dope he just lost his edge

It's probably because he's in a virtual no man's land: He's not relevant to to the younger crowd that determines what the major labels work to promote these days and he's continuing to lose the connection he had to the fans of his music from the '90s.  Be was great, but other than that, he doesn't have much to show for this decade... And that's coming from somebody that was just listening to "Faithful," earlier.
ohwell.gif

most of the time, he flies over your head in an extremely subtle way.

for example, i recently heard invocation (one day it'll all make sense) and caught something that i never caught before.

Originally Posted by TheGrimm

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

Finding Forever was a great follow up to Be.

the unreleased joints from the album that've been leaking lately are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

UMC gets heavy spins too
nerd.gif

NT likes Finding Forever now? I remember when it came out, a buncha people called it "hug rap".

I appreciate his work, but Universal Mind Control really messed it up for me. "Make My Day" is the only joint I can listen to from it.

Back
Top Bottom