NT, why is it when a gang related shooting happens, families blame the police, etc? Serious topic

Long read, and I'm too lazy to post cliffs. Serious replies....
A couple weeks back I saw on the news a teenager shot and killed in the alley on a Sunday afternoon at Chicago's Westside. Read the news article on the newspaper the next day. Apparently the victim was a bright student that joined a gang a couple years back.(facebook pics prove it btw, he's throwing gang signs with his homies). Also the newspaper supposedly reported that he was an alleged suspect in a shooting last year that killed a teenager. So basically, this shooting was a retaliation from a rival gang.
Turns out that victim was the nephew of my co-worker, who's shaken up by this. And rightfully so. But when I saw her facebook comments "the CPD killed my nephew", I went from
frown.gif
 to  
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif

I didn't post my condolences on her facebook page and didn't speak to her. So now she's "disappointed in me" and got her side of co-workers that are/were cool with me, isolating themselves from me by not speaking to me.

I got offended by that comment because my best friend's wife is a CPD officer, and a damn good one. I felt like by her making those comments, was a form of disrespect to my friends. Which is why I ignored her. 

Which leads me back to why I'll never understand this. Why do the victim's family almost always blame others that shouldn't get the blame. Why not blame the victim's gang members? The rival gang shooters?  Why does a person who was prosecuted by a court of law,(like that kid who beat up that dude in the Fenger HS incident) still proclaim that he was innocent? HE WAS ON THE DAMN VIDEO! 
30t6p3b.gif
 I just don't get it. 

What would've u done if you were in my shoes? Would've u have done the same thing? 

Long read, and I'm too lazy to post cliffs. Serious replies....
A couple weeks back I saw on the news a teenager shot and killed in the alley on a Sunday afternoon at Chicago's Westside. Read the news article on the newspaper the next day. Apparently the victim was a bright student that joined a gang a couple years back.(facebook pics prove it btw, he's throwing gang signs with his homies). Also the newspaper supposedly reported that he was an alleged suspect in a shooting last year that killed a teenager. So basically, this shooting was a retaliation from a rival gang.
Turns out that victim was the nephew of my co-worker, who's shaken up by this. And rightfully so. But when I saw her facebook comments "the CPD killed my nephew", I went from
frown.gif
 to  
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif

I didn't post my condolences on her facebook page and didn't speak to her. So now she's "disappointed in me" and got her side of co-workers that are/were cool with me, isolating themselves from me by not speaking to me.

I got offended by that comment because my best friend's wife is a CPD officer, and a damn good one. I felt like by her making those comments, was a form of disrespect to my friends. Which is why I ignored her. 

Which leads me back to why I'll never understand this. Why do the victim's family almost always blame others that shouldn't get the blame. Why not blame the victim's gang members? The rival gang shooters?  Why does a person who was prosecuted by a court of law,(like that kid who beat up that dude in the Fenger HS incident) still proclaim that he was innocent? HE WAS ON THE DAMN VIDEO! 
30t6p3b.gif
 I just don't get it. 

What would've u done if you were in my shoes? Would've u have done the same thing? 

i think this is just an isolated incident. i usually don't see people blaming the police the gang related murders.

i think this is just an isolated incident. i usually don't see people blaming the police the gang related murders.

Well I certainly don't see people blaming the other gang members directly. It's always a "don't ask don't tell, don't snitch on the cops", which almost always leads to the murders never being solved...

Well I certainly don't see people blaming the other gang members directly. It's always a "don't ask don't tell, don't snitch on the cops", which almost always leads to the murders never being solved...

maybe they feel like its easier to point the finger at the police since, especially in inner city culture, the police already have a terrible reputation.

maybe they feel like its easier to point the finger at the police since, especially in inner city culture, the police already have a terrible reputation.

I guess.....

I just couldn't pay respects on a life that went south. Gifted student joining scum in gangs?

I guess.....

I just couldn't pay respects on a life that went south. Gifted student joining scum in gangs?

there are some crooked cops out there.

jus cuz the one you know is good, doesnt mean they all are.
every situation is different

You expect Parents/Families to place blame on themselves?

Blaming others is the American way.

Originally Posted by QuaniBoiXi

100%
But CPD did not kill this teenager. Rival gangs did. For her to post that, made me 
mad.gif
 for not realzing her nephew was in serious trouble when he joined that gang.

Originally Posted by QuaniBoiXi

100%
But CPD did not kill this teenager. Rival gangs did. For her to post that, made me 
mad.gif
 for not realzing her nephew was in serious trouble when he joined that gang.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

if that's the case, then I guess I never want to be a parent. 
If my brother commits a murder tomorrow, and it happens to be true, i wouldn't deny it. I wouldn't say he's innocent. I'd be ashamed but I'd keep it real. "Yes my brother commited that crime I don't deny it." . Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

if that's the case, then I guess I never want to be a parent. 
If my brother commits a murder tomorrow, and it happens to be true, i wouldn't deny it. I wouldn't say he's innocent. I'd be ashamed but I'd keep it real. "Yes my brother commited that crime I don't deny it." . Am I wrong?

real %%#*, she's most likely still grieving heavy. there's no way she's gonna admit that his behavior may have been self destructive.. who wants to think such a thing about a late loved one?

real %%#*, she's most likely still grieving heavy. there's no way she's gonna admit that his behavior may have been self destructive.. who wants to think such a thing about a late loved one?

to counter that:

why was it when he was alive, and when he joined the gang, the majority of his family and friends never spoke to him about why he joined the gang? Why not tell him to get out. Cuz he's a "grown man?" SMH....

(purely speculaton, but i'm betting that other than his mom, most of his family didn't worry about his life being taken away when he joined that gang)

to counter that:

why was it when he was alive, and when he joined the gang, the majority of his family and friends never spoke to him about why he joined the gang? Why not tell him to get out. Cuz he's a "grown man?" SMH....

(purely speculaton, but i'm betting that other than his mom, most of his family didn't worry about his life being taken away when he joined that gang)

she doesnt want to accept the fact that her nephew was dumb for getting involved with gangs. people will blame anything other than themselves or their loved ones in times like this.

she doesnt want to accept the fact that her nephew was dumb for getting involved with gangs. people will blame anything other than themselves or their loved ones in times like this.

Back
Top Bottom