NTers 24+....Suits...I needs help on them...where do I go, what do I look for?

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

Everyone is naming places but not telling you the most important thing. 100% wool. Synthetic blended materials do not hold up. The knees start to look shiny, and such.
and material thickness.
if you hold the material up to the light, you should not see any leakage coming through.

Dirty, you're completely wrong. It depends on the type of material it is. Fabric is measured in ounces; materials like Minnis Fresco and H&S Crispaire are for  y humid/hot climates. There you will see ''leakage'' because the fabric isn't as tightly woven and heavy( 8 ounces max alot of times). Alot of dudes giving wrong information in here.
true enough..but I'm in the Northeast..
I've haven't even asked my tailor about making a summer suit. 

4 buttons is not okay.
laugh.gif

Listen. Your best bet is to find a Polo or Brooks Brothers suit on sale, if you're strapped for cash( try ebay as well). People recommending JC Penny,Indochino etc... it's not worth it. If you want clothing to wear to one occasion a year,then sure, buy one of these poorly constructed suits. However, if you want clothing to last the test of time,even to pass on, then no. A two button suit with thin lapels and a terribly low gorge and buttoning points will look awful five years from now( it looks the same way today). I'm more so talking to people like Ksteezy,Frank Mucus etc who seem to have a true love for clothing. If you don't care about all the aesthetic,minute and historic details; then buy what you want. Don't go to Jos.A Banks, don't go to mensware house. A good tailor is like a good doctor; but even he cannot save something that was dead to begin with. PM me if you want to talk more about this stuff.

Listen. Your best bet is to find a Polo or Brooks Brothers suit on sale, if you're strapped for cash( try ebay as well). People recommending JC Penny,Indochino etc... it's not worth it. If you want clothing to wear to one occasion a year,then sure, buy one of these poorly constructed suits. However, if you want clothing to last the test of time,even to pass on, then no. A two button suit with thin lapels and a terribly low gorge and buttoning points will look awful five years from now( it looks the same way today). I'm more so talking to people like Ksteezy,Frank Mucus etc who seem to have a true love for clothing. If you don't care about all the aesthetic,minute and historic details; then buy what you want. Don't go to Jos.A Banks, don't go to mensware house. A good tailor is like a good doctor; but even he cannot save something that was dead to begin with. PM me if you want to talk more about this stuff.
I really hope the slim eauropean look doesnt fade, although many say it will, its actually IMO a very nice look.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

This thread is straight comedy. I dont wear suits. Too much of a tailoring hassle so i gave it up.

Scoop tuxes when i need to be that formal. Ocassionally at job functions i under dress by jus goin with the black tie. But i always jus say it was hot
laugh.gif

Its really not a hassle though...

Rent... and yes.. it reall is

i have an akward build to begin with... 6'3 wingspan 5'11 height between 205-185... makes a drastic difference in how my pants fit and my jackets as well when im bulkin up my shoulders and thighs wanna break loose
laugh.gif
I wear more euro style stuff tho formally. im sure if I jus picked up a navy polo joint or sumthin I could get away with it lookin alright whenever but renting aloows me the flexibilty to jus pick the exact look I want for that ocassion
pimp.gif

I really hope the slim eauropean look doesnt fade, although many say it will, its actually IMO a very nice look.
ohwell.gif
It won't, it'll tone down and eventually walk away from the extremes (super skinny lapels and super short jackets) but the slim look should be here to stay. It's just a much cleaner look and isn't really a fad in my eyes. Slim is just tailored really, skinny is where it heads more toward the extreme.

This thread is straight comedy. I dont wear suits. Too much of a tailoring hassle so i gave it up.

Scoop tuxes when i need to be that formal. Ocassionally at job functions i under dress by jus goin with the black tie. But i always jus say it was hot
laugh.gif

Its really not a hassle though...

Rent... and yes.. it reall is

i have an akward build to begin with... 6'3 wingspan 5'11 height between 205-185... makes a drastic difference in how my pants fit and my jackets as well when im bulkin up my shoulders and thighs wanna break loose
laugh.gif
I wear more euro style stuff tho formally. im sure if I jus picked up a navy polo joint or sumthin I could get away with it lookin alright whenever but renting aloows me the flexibilty to jus pick the exact look I want for that ocassion
pimp.gif

honestly after seeing how Nii fits his clothes, i dont believe your built matters much unless you are incredibly obese....my dude Nii is not the thinnest dude, hes a pretty big dude and he fits his suits perfect, you should hit him up for some pointers, renting is horrible man 
alien.gif

/\ yea hes portly... im not built like that at all
laugh.gif
... think NFL safety

im up to like 203 at the moment... in a month or two ill be 190 and my shoulders will be 2 inches wider (beach season)
laugh.gif

i kinda look like dwade in most of my old suits/pants at the moment (jus a tad to snug for comfort)

Originally Posted by RFX45

ohwell.gif
It won't, it'll tone down and eventually walk away from the extremes (super skinny lapels and super short jackets) but the slim look should be here to stay. It's just a much cleaner look and isn't really a fad in my eyes. Slim is just tailored really, skinny is where it heads more toward the extreme.
I love Dior and Calvin Klein slim suits, look amazing.

pimp.gif

If you want something that's good quality and will last a while get the Black Label by RL. It's made by Caruso and it's fully canvassed. It's best for people with a slim/athletic build. Rugby suits are also made by Caruso but half canvas and even slimmer. Ludlow are slightly bigger but I would still look into this before Men's Warehouse.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

I just picked up a RL suit from Macy's for under $200. Bunch of sales and I had a Macy's gift card from Christmas lying around. Now I need a good/affordable tailor in NYC. Someone help me out.

You probably got one of those green label suits, Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Those are garbage. The Blue Label suits are going to be much more expensive.

No mentions of Calvin Klein slim fits?..........my favorites personally. Will have to check out the ludlows never heard of them

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

Anyone had experience buying suits from Kohl's? It looks like a good value.

What is Kohls?

Wheretheydothatat?

Buying suits from Macys is a stretch for me, and I try not to buy anything from Macys beyond underwear and socks.

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

pimp.gif

If you want something that's good quality and will last a while get the Black Label by RL. It's made by Caruso and it's fully canvassed. It's best for people with a slim/athletic build. Rugby suits are also made by Caruso but half canvas and even slimmer. Ludlow are slightly bigger but I would still look into this before Men's Warehouse.

I just picked up a RL suit from Macy's for under $200. Bunch of sales and I had a Macy's gift card from Christmas lying around. Now I need a good/affordable tailor in NYC. Someone help me out.

You probably got one of those green label suits, Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Those are garbage. The Blue Label suits are going to be much more expensive.

Frank knows what he's talking about...
I caught a mean Black Label suit on sale after Christmas.

Would share a pic, but it's in the cleaners right now.

It's a thing of beauty.

Recent Suit Pickups...
B1G1 from Saks Off 5th

Just picked them up from the tailor.

Left pictures big to give a good look.

I'd appreciate your opinions...

Ermenegildo Zegna

Navy

2dmbepz.jpg

Hickey Freeman

Black - Linen

353edt0.jpg

Shirt is Valentino.

My 2 cents on suits:

- Best places to find nice suits at a reasonable price are sites like Gilt, Bluefly, Rue La La, etc...

- I know we all love RL, but the regular Blue Label/Lauren by RL stuff isn't for us – It's for 40 yo dudes with big bellies.

Quick story:

A few years back, I was at a grand opening event & ran into a business associate – at least 20-25 years older than me...

I commented on how nice his suit was & how he always dressed sharp. He replied, "Yeah, I stay as far away from the Men's Warehouse as possible."

Haven't been to MW since...

^ Jacket and shirt seem to fit perfectly
pimp.gif
Can't tell how the length of the pants are lookin in the picture, but they do seem to look like they're fitting pretty well, it looks like it may be a little too long, but again I can't really tell..

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

^ Jacket and shirt seem to fit perfectly
pimp.gif
Can't tell how the length of the pants are lookin in the picture, but they do seem to look like they're fitting pretty well, it looks like it may be a little too long, but again I can't really tell..

Thanks for the
pimp.gif
The pants are a good length.

I didn't have shoes on in the picture, so I cut it off – Didn't want any NTers cracking on my toe game.

Originally Posted by pdot

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

pimp.gif

Frank knows what he's talking about...
I caught a mean Black Label suit on sale after Christmas.

Would share a pic, but it's in the cleaners right now.

It's a thing of beauty.

Forgot a had this pic of the Black Label suit...
(Pay no attn to the dirty %*$ mirror)

6ssztl.jpg

pdot good job on that black suit, such a classy look, definately picking up a black suit next now that i have a grey and a blue one as my go to's....btw i have my sis and laws graduation at Syracuse next month and decided to play dress up with some of the stuff i have today and snap some pics, thought it would be a good contribution to this thread as well, both of these are ludlows, tailored....well mostly the pants, since im short, they needed to be hemmed and also tapered through as well as had the inseam brought up a bit.....the jackets didnt need much....have had the navy for some time now and just got the grey the other day....im no expert on the correct dimensions of a suit, i just got it done to the measurements i felt comfortable and im very pleased...

the grey one and probably what ill wear to my lil sis grad.
7075238881_3f2969b241_b.jpg

this has been my go to suit for the past year, so versatile...if you dont have a suit and looking for your first one, i strongly STRONGLY recommend a navy suit, so many different ways it can be worn....i threw it on with sneakers just for kicks, actually like the way it came out and will probably rock on a club night in the summer since these suits are very lightweight as is...
probably as casual as you can possibly go with a suit, chambray shirt and some kicks....tie came out a bit long, keep in mind im bent over a bit in these pics...
7075230035_a47e8b1e58_b.jpg

a little more formal, probably better look with shoes and a wider tie
7075234619_4d00cced66_b.jpg

Its the same pose in every picture reminds me of Barney Stinson
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've always been a fan of the gray suit, purple shirt/tie combo its a great look to me.

I'm assuming these are all slim fit right?

Info on the shoes in pic 1?

It looks like I just pressed a button and the suits just swapped while I stood there
roll.gif

They are just the Ludlows, which are probably the slim fits of Jcrew compared to their other suits...keep in mind I got these slimmed down even more...the shoes are from Cole Haan...I forgot the name, but I pOstwd them a few pages back I believe.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]This place actually exists, I thought you were joking with the name of those suits mixed in with the prices [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]
eek.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] .. I'm going to pay this place a visit next time I'm in the city.[/color]
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Retro23J

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Oh. and I needed a suit within a week back in December so I went to Jos A Bank. Talked them down to a nice price and after alterations it came out okay.
Most people don't recommend places like that and Mens Warehouse though
Jos. A Banks online is the only way I'll buy suits from them. They always have crazy discounts on their suits and shirts, like this weekend they have 50% off everything and 60% off the second item. Then when it arrives, just take it to the closest store for alterations.
THANK YOU very much
going to keep this in mind for a wedding I'm going to soon.

Back
Top Bottom