NTers 25+: Do you guys still have trouble splitting the bill with your friends?

All my friends are 22/23 and when we go out to eat in big groups there's always something wrong with the bill. But I noticed we are 10x better than we were at 18. Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?

All my friends are 22/23 and when we go out to eat in big groups there's always something wrong with the bill. But I noticed we are 10x better than we were at 18. Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?

Usually one person or the couple picks up the check....of course it's then reciprocated the next time everyone goes out.  I got good friends and no one minds doing this. 

When we were younger it was a #%%@#+* headache
laugh.gif

Usually one person or the couple picks up the check....of course it's then reciprocated the next time everyone goes out.  I got good friends and no one minds doing this. 

When we were younger it was a #%%@#+* headache
laugh.gif

as you get older, it'll just get to the point when someone says "I got this one, you get us next time."
that's what we do anyways.
a big party of like 8-10, everyone pitches in. haven't had any problems with bills for years..

-J-

as you get older, it'll just get to the point when someone says "I got this one, you get us next time."
that's what we do anyways.
a big party of like 8-10, everyone pitches in. haven't had any problems with bills for years..

-J-

I hate eating in large groups. I went somewhere (out of town), with a friend. And that friend met up with their friends and we all went out to eat. Like 12 people deep, sitting at one table. So this friend tells me, "Eat up because they are probably going to want to split the bill evenly amongst everyone." So I am like damn. So I get my dish, which was like $12, I ended up paying $40 for my meal. I ate some of the appetizers but no way I should have came out like that.

So my question, is it normal to just "split" the bill like that? I mean damn, I didn't know it would have been that drastic.

I hate eating in large groups. I went somewhere (out of town), with a friend. And that friend met up with their friends and we all went out to eat. Like 12 people deep, sitting at one table. So this friend tells me, "Eat up because they are probably going to want to split the bill evenly amongst everyone." So I am like damn. So I get my dish, which was like $12, I ended up paying $40 for my meal. I ate some of the appetizers but no way I should have came out like that.

So my question, is it normal to just "split" the bill like that? I mean damn, I didn't know it would have been that drastic.

not at all
I have two distinct groups of friends...

one splits evenly between everyone.
one does the itemize your own bill.

both are equally fine in my book.

Just split the bill, unless someone obviously didn't get that much. Have them throw in their portion and split the rest between whoever is left.

Just split the bill, unless someone obviously didn't get that much. Have them throw in their portion and split the rest between whoever is left.

Not when i am out with my close friends...but when i am out with randoms or people outside of the circle things happen 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

not at all
I have two distinct groups of friends...

one splits evenly between everyone.
one does the itemize your own bill.

both are equally fine in my book.

Not when i am out with my close friends...but when i am out with randoms or people outside of the circle things happen 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Everyone should pay what the amount of their meal cost. I'm not covering someone else's meal especially if it was way more expensive than mine. Its why I don't eat with large groups. Every time I've gone out to eat with a group we all asked for separate checks despite the waitress trying to tell us we couldn't. We still compensated her appropriately.

Biff can tell you what happened when we went to BBQ last August what happened. Some people didn't pay for their meal, and others had to cover for them.

Everyone should pay what the amount of their meal cost. I'm not covering someone else's meal especially if it was way more expensive than mine. Its why I don't eat with large groups. Every time I've gone out to eat with a group we all asked for separate checks despite the waitress trying to tell us we couldn't. We still compensated her appropriately.

Biff can tell you what happened when we went to BBQ last August what happened. Some people didn't pay for their meal, and others had to cover for them.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?
short answer: NO

In my experience, cheap/dumb people will continue to be cheap/dumb people.

For the most part, when I go out with my friends nowadays, we just go even split pot and that seems to work out ok.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I've been out to dinner where I wasn't really feelin anything on the menu so I just ordered a sandwich, a couple of beers, and ended up dropping $50.  No big deal.  It all comes around.  The only exception to this rule is if people show up late and dont eat, or if they dont drink any booze at all since booze can easily add up to more than 50% of the entire bill.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?
short answer: NO

In my experience, cheap/dumb people will continue to be cheap/dumb people.

For the most part, when I go out with my friends nowadays, we just go even split pot and that seems to work out ok.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I've been out to dinner where I wasn't really feelin anything on the menu so I just ordered a sandwich, a couple of beers, and ended up dropping $50.  No big deal.  It all comes around.  The only exception to this rule is if people show up late and dont eat, or if they dont drink any booze at all since booze can easily add up to more than 50% of the entire bill.

Originally Posted by biff lawson

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

exactly. 
That's why if there's a big group, and I don't know everyone upon arrival.  I always holler at the waitress/waiter tell em I need a seperate bill cause I won't stay long and I'm paying by card. 

Chill as long as I want...then sit back like 
glasses.gif
 when the bill drama starts with the randoms...

Originally Posted by biff lawson

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

exactly. 
That's why if there's a big group, and I don't know everyone upon arrival.  I always holler at the waitress/waiter tell em I need a seperate bill cause I won't stay long and I'm paying by card. 

Chill as long as I want...then sit back like 
glasses.gif
 when the bill drama starts with the randoms...

To you guys saying just split it evenly no matter what you got, isn't that unfair to those who don't drink alcohol? I mean in a normal non-5 star restaurant an entree can be $14 + tax + tip+ maybe soda is $22. Now someone gets 2 Jack and Cokes and 2 Blue Moons. Their total could reach 50+. Ouch.

To you guys saying just split it evenly no matter what you got, isn't that unfair to those who don't drink alcohol? I mean in a normal non-5 star restaurant an entree can be $14 + tax + tip+ maybe soda is $22. Now someone gets 2 Jack and Cokes and 2 Blue Moons. Their total could reach 50+. Ouch.

I'd rather only go out with a few of my friends because they all can split the bill evenly.

Sorry.

But black people make movies and events out of splitting the bill. and God forbid the gratuity isnt included.

Back
Top Bottom