NTers over 30. How does life change?

Turned 24 two weeks ago. I've heard different things about turning 30. Some people swear 30s are the best time of your life, some say it's all downhill from there.

What's your experiences ? Any advice for a 24 year old trying to make it in this world?

Im 34 and single.

1. Women have alot more miles and baggage.
2. Body doesnt heal as fast. I did something to my wrist back in November and it still hurts.
3. Hair starts to grow out of places that it didn't before.
4. Ill add more later

Save money.

If you really want to do something do it.

TRAVEL.

You just turned 24, stop worrying about 30 and enjoy yourself man.  Save more, party less, travel, pursue your hobbies. 
Travelling to Europe in September for a month. Stopped partying after I turned 21, became a lot less enjoyable. Saving is probably the biggest issue for me 
laugh.gif

It depends on the person. I'm 29, will be turning 30 in November. 2 years ago, I was all about climbing up the corporate ladder, flying around the country for job interviews that was going to be propel my career. Nothing connected. A couple said they felt I was too young for a manager position thought I did really well on the interview. They didn't know how young I was with just my resume alone. I didn't care about having a serious relationship, let alone get married. 6 months or so ago, I grew tired of the corporate grind, and chose not to climb the ladder anymore. My thought on relationship changed. Ideally I would like to get married within the next several years.

I became more frugal over the years, just trying to save up for the future, be it wedding, home, etc.

I have friends who are already married and happy with the family life. Some are doing well financially because they have great paying jobs and enjoying life flying all over the place to party. Some still stuck in that mentality of living check to check and partying with nothing to lose/gain (usually high school friends that got stuck at dead end jobs).

You're 24, live life, keep partying. Get it all out of your system now so you're not that 40 year in the club every week

You're 24, live life, keep partying. Get it all out of your system now so you're not that 40 year in the club every week
I got that life ALLLL out my system from 16-21 man. Last time I went out to "party", I kept wanting to go back home and just relax and watch a movie or hit the gym. Weird, i know, but I guess the party life in New Zealand just sucks.

It depends on the person. I'm 29, will be turning 30 in November. 2 years ago, I was all about climbing up the corporate ladder, flying around the country for job interviews that was going to be propel my career. Nothing connected. A couple said they felt I was too young for a manager position thought I did really well on the interview. They didn't know how young I was with just my resume alone. I didn't care about having a serious relationship, let alone get married. 6 months or so ago, I grew tired of the corporate grind, and chose not to climb the ladder anymore. My thought on relationship changed. Ideally I would like to get married within the next several years.

I became more frugal over the years, just trying to save up for the future, be it wedding, home, etc.

I have friends who are already married and happy with the family life. Some are doing well financially because they have great paying jobs and enjoying life flying all over the place to party. Some still stuck in that mentality of living check to check and partying with nothing to lose/gain (usually high school friends that got stuck at dead end jobs).
That's pretty much me at the moment. 100% focus on my career and always looking for bigger and better opportunities. It's probably a bad thing as it seems like I'll never be content regardless of what job I get. Also not sure IT is the field I want to stay in. I definitely know I don't  have a huge passion for it, but it's a good career I guess and I don't know what I would enjoy doing everyday as my job 
mean.gif

I got that life ALLLL out my system from 16-21 man. Last time I went out to "party", I kept wanting to go back home and just relax and watch a movie or hit the gym. Weird, i know, but I guess the party life in New Zealand just sucks.

Bro, you're from New Zealand? :nerd:

-Drew

For me, it was just a number. I had dreaded my 30th since i was 26 lol. Woke up that day, at 30, nothing changed. three years later, I turned 33 last month.. it's not so bad. My knees crack a lot tho lol

not that I'm a G out here in the streets, but I'm glad to see 30. i have a lot of close friends who died way too early. Most of em shot and murdered, a few car accidents, and a non-smoker who died of lung cancer at 23 SMHHHHHH.

To me, 30 just means you've been alive long enough to know how the world REALLY works. Ideally, you've got a career started and are no longer in that "what do I wanna do with my life' funk that many people struggle with late into their 20s. If you haven't reached that point yet, hopefully you've got a plan to get there.

Last edited:
Bro, you're from New Zealand? :nerd:

-Drew
Taiwan, but moved to NZ when I was 5. Been here since. Please don't detective me

:lol: Bro chill. It's not even like that. Besides, you're the one who told me a small bit of your personal history just now. A simple yes or no would've been fine. :x

I've actually wanted to go visit New Zealand. Figured I'd inquire with you about it.

-Drew

That's pretty much me at the moment. 100% focus on my career and always looking for bigger and better opportunities. It's probably a bad thing as it seems like I'll never be content regardless of what job I get. Also not sure IT is the field I want to stay in. I definitely know I don't  have a huge passion for it, but it's a good career I guess and I don't know what I would enjoy doing everyday as my job :smh:
You sound kind of like me, man. I've been on NT since I was like in the 9th or 10th grade so I'll break down my stages personally.

I may go off on a tangent so excuse me...typing freestyle and not checking for structure.

I started college at 17. Didn't get my BS until 23. It took me 6 years because I messed around the first year and switched majors. I went onto get a MS and MBA after that. Collectively I spent 10 years in college. I was always a different type of dude. I was an introvert and so were most of my close friends. We rarely partied, but we did the typical shananigans, like spending Friday and Saturday nights at the pub and bar getting wasted and shooting pool. Looking back at those years, I can't even recall much, except I spent a lot of time at Starbucks and boba places studying.

The thing was that I was always focused on my career. I never wanted to get into debt going on numerous trips and buying clothes. I had friends who were saving up months in advance to blow it at say, Vegas on a weekend or would go in debt for that Cancun trip to pay it back in many months. It just didn't click for me. I figure that these things will always be here for me to enjoy once the fruit of my labor pays off. I still feel this way. If you play it right, your 30s is like your 20s with money.

They say hindsight is 20/20, and I actually made a similar thread about this recently. I thought about doing a Europe trip at the end of my undergrad career, but no one else wanted to do it with me. I should've gone solo. I wish I would've networked more and got out of my comfort zone. Though I'm an introvert by nature, throughout the years I forced myself to be more outgoing, be it by talking to a group of 200-300 people or going to mixers. Doing things solo is something I enjoy now, be it getting food alone or hitting the bar along, this was dope at my last job where I traveled extensively. I should've interned more to beef up the resume. I was hardheaded and thought that I can make $60-70k straight out of school alone and command a $100k by the time I get my MS :lol:

But again hindsight is 20/20...good or bad experience...they will shape up your future.

Like a lot of the younger NTers, I thought it would be lame to hit the clubs/lounges in your late 20s and up. But it's actually dope. I've been going out lately with my friends (who are all older than me) just to enjoy myself turnt up to rachet songs.

laugh.gif
Bro chill. It's not even like that. Besides, you're the one who told me a small bit of your personal history just now. A simple yes or no would've been fine.
sick.gif

I've actually wanted to go visit New Zealand. Figured I'd inquire with you about it.

-Drew
laugh.gif
 My bad

New Zealand is beautiful, friendly people and diverse, but too boring/slow paced for me. NYC is my dream 

:lol: Bro chill. It's not even like that. Besides, you're the one who told me a small bit of your personal history just now. A simple yes or no would've been fine. :x

-Drew
:lol:  My bad

New Zealand is beautiful, friendly people and diverse, but too boring/slow paced for me. NYC is my dream 

No worries, bro.

It seems the weather is always great there. Can't imagine how good the food must taste considering the fact that the weather looks amazing.

City life over there isn't as fast paced?

I've lived in NY all my life and I guarantee you would enjoy the visit. :nthat:
I could never picture myself living outside of NY or Cali.

*Apologies for derailing the thread. I can take it to the PMs if need be. :lol:

-Drew

OPI,

You gottta ask and look at your folks and family first.  See what they are actually doing and talk to them.  But you shouldn't live your life with any type of fear.  As you age, so does your folks and family members.  You can't be looking at them like it's game over.  Pursue your dreams.

start saving money, plan for retirement, never too early. Buy a house if you can and take care of your body, work out and eat right.

Im 34 and single.

2. Body doesnt heal as fast. I did something to my wrist back in November and it still hurts.

Not what I wanted to read bruh :lol:
I ran hard in my teams softball game the other week and was limping for like 4 days :lol: :smh:

start saving money, plan for retirement, never too early. Buy a house if you can and take care of your body, work out and eat right.
said it best with working out. Not to bulk but to stay fit. Also take more chances and tell your self that boredom does not exist

Last edited:
Yeah I started budgeting in detail last week. It's insane how much I spend on eating out with friends/girlfriend. Planning to purchase a house next year after I get back from Europe. As far as diet and working out goes I have that sorted. If anyone has more budgeting/investing advice, please let me know

Back
Top Bottom