NTers that are Expecting vol. 1st time fathers

Just curious as to how many of my NT fam have kids, or are expecting. How was the transition to the fatherhood life? A lot of people say it's an eye opening, new feeling that you've never experienced before (obviously). A lot of people snap out of bad habbits and start getting on their grind, and really focus on what they want out of life.

My girl is due Jan, and it's a boy. A son. It's really surreal, seeing her belly get larger and larger as these weeks go by. I'm 26 and I work full time, but I also run a band in my off time.

So how has it been? How much sacrifice is their really? And if you are expecting.. what kinds of things are you doing to prep yourself?

Got 2 kids here. When the first one came out, life took a 360 for me as in I had to look at life differently. Not only did I have to think about me, I had another life I had to think and look out for. First few months was difficult with the transition but it was well worth it

I know I'm nitpicking, but your life taking a 360 degree turn means nothing changed 
laugh.gif

26 with a 2 year old daughter

I enjoy fatherhood...I've learned a lot about myself ...congrats op :pimp:

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty excited, I just want the whole pregnancy phase to be over with :lol: It's really crazy thinking about creating something into a living being.

I want to be a protective father, but also want him to be able to discover things on his own, in a way.

Congrats, man!

I have a soon-to-be 2 year old daughter.

So how has it been?

I won't lie...it's hard! It's definitely a huge adjustment. Everything me and my girl do is for our daughter.

How much sacrifice is their really?

A lot. But it's all worth it.

And if you are expecting.. what kinds of things are you doing to prep yourself?

1. Don't take things seriously if your girl has a pregnancy moment. There are a lot of them and sometimes you just have to bite your tongue. Also, be ready to support your girl through the ups/downs following the pregnancy. Her body will not be the same and you'll hear about it. Just be as supportive as possibel.

2. Keep a hospital bag packed. Short story....my girl had a Dr's appointment on 1/31/12 at 5 in the afternoon. Doctor said everything looked great and the baby should be here on time (2/23). I was thinking this was great because we now had time to squeeze in a birthing class and get this car seat put in. Her water ended up breaking at 3 in the morning on 2/1. :lol: The only thing we had ready to go was the hospital bag. Everything was a blur after that.

3. Speaking of the hospital, go on your visit early. Get a feel of where you'll be during the delivery and 2 day stay.

Congrats, man!

I have a soon-to-be 2 year old daughter.

I won't lie...it's hard! It's definitely a huge adjustment. Everything me and my girl do is for our daughter.

A lot. But it's all worth it.

1. Don't take things seriously if your girl has a pregnancy moment. There are a lot of them and sometimes you just have to bite your tongue. Also, be ready to support your girl through the ups/downs following the pregnancy. Her body will not be the same and you'll hear about it. Just be as supportive as possibel.

2. Keep a hospital bag packed. Short story....my girl had a Dr's appointment on 1/31/12 at 5 in the afternoon. Doctor said everything looked great and the baby should be here on time (2/23). I was thinking this was great because we now had time to squeeze in a birthing class and get this car seat put in. Her water ended up breaking at 3 in the morning on 2/1.
laugh.gif
The only thing we had ready to go was the hospital bag. Everything was a blur after that.

3. Speaking of the hospital, go on your visit early. Get a feel of where you'll be during the delivery and 2 day stay.

Oh yeah, she definitely has her moments. It's so hard to bite my tongue at times, but I was already warned about the mood swings, early. It's not so bad, though-- my quick way to diffuse arguments has been to just randomly start rubbing her belly. No matter what is going on, she'll calm down and stop :lol:

We've made all the appts, and we are trying to start going to those classes every tues and thurs. Also, her body, as in her face and arms and such, hasn't gotten bigger. Her cup size went WAY up :pimp:, but, like her cheeks and neck and everything are still the same. I think her legs got a tad bit thicker, but that's it. She's a dancer (ballet, modern), so her body was already really fit. She's been told by people that have seen her from behind, standing, that she doesn't even look pregnant until she turns around.

Thanks for the tips! Def gonna have that hospital bag ready. Going to have to grab a PS Vita or something for those long long hours.

Last edited:
Be prepared not to sleep for more than a 2 hr. stretch for at least the first 2-3 weeks. The Kramer nap cycle will definitely be your best friend since short naps will be all you'll get.

Once the baby comes, everything you do will be a sacrifice and you'll have to decide what's really a priority and what isn't. Unless the band is actually your job, and you're making money from it, it might be best to drop it at least for a year until you've gotten into a routine.

Get the carseat installed as soon as possible. Check to see if your city hall has a program that will help you install it. We installed it ahead of time, then had the sheriff at city hall check it and there were at lest 20 things wrong.
laugh.gif

You'll get the hang of fatherhood though. Just remember that billions of people have done it before successfully with far fewer resources than you have.

It'll really help weed out all the none essintial things in your life.

I don't care what anyone says. It's NOT that expensive. If you and you girl have stable finances it really shouldn't be a problem. Cut out a date night here. A shoe there and you'll be fine. You'll spend about 80 bucks a month on diapers the first few months tho.

Be prepared not to sleep for more than a 2 hr. stretch for at least the first 2-3 weeks. The Kramer nap cycle will definitely be your best friend since short naps will be all you'll get.

Once the baby comes, everything you do will be a sacrifice and you'll have to decide what's really a priority and what isn't. Unless the band is actually your job, and you're making money from it, it might be best to drop it at least for a year until you've gotten into a routine.

Get the carseat installed as soon as possible. Check to see if your city hall has a program that will help you install it. We installed it ahead of time, then had the sheriff at city hall check it and there were at lest 20 things wrong.
laugh.gif

You'll get the hang of fatherhood though. Just remember that billions of people have done it before successfully with far fewer resources than you have.

I need to research the Carseat issue. I am looking into grabbing an SUV now, actually. I guess I've got a lot to learn, had no idea there were special carseat procedures. I was assuming there were instructions to get it strapped in, and that was that :lol:

I'm kind of a night owl, but not so much, lately. My girl and I have discussed being up at multiple times of the night. Her job is letting her take a leave. She says she won't mind getting up in the night, due to me having to be at work at 8 am, everyday. I know that won't last too long, tho.

And yeah, I always think about that. Our situation is pretty solid, so I'm not too worried. With everything that's out there now, with the internet and technology-- it's like the best time to have a kid. As far as my band goes, I believe I'll be able to adjust. Thanks for the feedback!

I need to research the Carseat issue. I am looking into grabbing an SUV now, actually. I guess I've got a lot to learn, had no idea there were special carseat procedures. I was assuming there were instructions to get it strapped in, and that was that
laugh.gif

I'm kind of a night owl, but not so much, lately. My girl and I have discussed being up at multiple times of the night. Her job is letting her take a leave. She says she won't mind getting up in the night, due to me having to be at work at 8 am, everyday. I know that won't last too long, tho.

And yeah, I always think about that. Our situation is pretty solid, so I'm not too worried. With everything that's out there now, with the internet and technology-- it's like the best time to have a kid. As far as my band goes, I believe I'll be able to adjust. Thanks for the feedback!
I remember we talked about doing that too, only in reverse.
laugh.gif
Then we got realistic and realized that only worked for about a day.

She has to remember though that if she does take the night shift, she'll also have to take the day shift too since you'll be working. What we tried doing was that I would take the shift from 7-11 right after the bath since he had already been eating and probably wouldn't need to eat at that time anyways, then she would take the night shift until 6:30 in the morning. Any additional help you can give her in the sleep department will benefit your relationship A LOT.

Last edited:
I remember we talked about doing that too, only in reverse.
laugh.gif
Then we got realistic and realized that only worked for about a day.

She has to remember though that if she does take the night shift, she'll also have to take the day shift too since you'll be working. What we tried doing was that I would take the shift from 7-11 right after the bath since he had already been eating and probably wouldn't need to eat at that time anyways, then she would take the night shift until 6:30 in the morning. Any additional help you can give her in the sleep department will benefit your relationship A LOT.

:lol: I'm imagining we'll keep at it for a few days, and I'll give her night relief on weekends, since I'm off, then. Hopefully we'll be really high on excitement. I can imagine that we'll be fighting for who takes care of him and when lol.

Congratz bro! My lil girl turned 1yr last month. like someone said up there, it ain't really expensive at all if you administer your income the right way. 

Man I'm not even going to sugar coat it but its rough. But its the MOST rewarding thing you will do with your life.

That sacrifice will become second nature and you'll NEVER want to see that child hurt or want for anything. Every tear is heartbreaking even if its something as small as them needing a diaper change or needing to be fed.

I used to chill all day before work at 4pm but now that the mother is back working so I get the baby at 6 am and hardly get to nap before work. Huge transition but those mornings that I don't have her I feel empty and my days don't seem fulfilled.

Will post recent pics, I'm gonna need a shotgun
:smh:

Last edited:
I have two kids a 12 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. I won't lie it's not easy and it's a lot of hard work, but is one of the best and most rewarding thing you can experience in life. Congrats to all of you that are about to become a father. And to all of you that are already fathers keep up the good work, and be the best dads you can be. Anyone can make kids but it takes a real man to be a father.

My Boy just turned one, he is a f'n monster! 

Everything will change, enjoy your freedom before its gone! Soon it will be all about the baby!

The first month is the easiest, if anyone says otherwise they are full of shart! Your baby will sleep the most the first few months, enjoy it!

Once he starts moving say good bye to sharp edged furniture and anything in arms reach of him!

Huggies are better then Pampers!

Get a costco membership, they ship diapers for free!

Most of the stuff they say you need for a baby you won't need, like the shopping cart seat cover or shoes before they are walking!

Thank God you are having a boy, you will soon have someone to team up with against baby momma!

Open his bank account right after he's born!

thats all I have for now, time to drink! cheers!

Big up all the fathers, Loving their kids and being a positive influence.

2 girls and Im expect my first son in Jan. So hype!

What am I doin to prepare?

Buying up NFL standard footballs, NBA regulation ball and hoopset, and tryna find him some good boxing gloves. He can use my 80lb punching bag.

What am I sacfricing?
WHatever it take for him to reach his potential and reach his goals

Congrats! I have 2 daughers...oldest is 9 and just had the youngest a month ago. Everything I was going to say has already been said. One thing i will suggest though  (if you haven't already) is to throw a big co-ed baby shower. Invite as many people as you can and register somewhere. The gifts\gifts cards helped us out a lot and we didn't have to pay for a thing up to this point except wipes and diapers.

Got a son.. Like others have said its rough at first but it's so rewarding and great watching them grow and learn something new everyday. I used to chill all the time on days off or right after work. Now it's mostly with him when I'm not at work and his mom is working. You forget about sleep and you learn to nap when they do :lol:

And like jayhood said days without them you feel empty as fuuu.. My son and his mom went up north one weekend and I stayed back. I thought I was gonna gonna have fun sleeping in and doing whatever I wanted like before. But honestly I felt bored as hell and with my girl sending me snapchat videos of him mannnnnn

Edit: also forgot to mention they give you motivation you never had before.. I gained damn near 40lbs the last two years went from 175 to 209.. After he was born I said to myself I need to be a better role model for him and get healthy. I started working out a bit and eating better. I started august 1st weighed in at 209 and this morning was down to 194.. Gonna get back down to the 180s hopefully by the end of the year

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom