NTers that are Expecting vol. 1st time fathers

we did. made it easier for us because we got so much clothes at the baby showers. plus we named him and i would read to him and talk to him every night before he was born. when we were doing the 3d ultrasound, he wasn't moving much but then i started talking, he turned his head and made a big smile. that kinda shook me up even if it was a coincidence.

My lady is expecting to give birth in April, I'm already starting to sell off my shoes and make space in our small apartment. Not sure how to handle it seeing other babies have room to play and crawl, our apartment is so small I wish I could afford a larger space but not for anothefew years. I'll be checking in this thread occasionally to read all the advice.

We found out the sex beforehand...made things easier as far as gifts for the shower and also how we were going to decorate the room. Plus, we wanted to know. :lol:

My daughter goes to bed between 6:30-7 and stays in her crib until 6am the next day. No matter how bad of a night she has, we try not to put her in the bed with us. That would start bad habits for both her and us. She had to learn how to put herself back to sleep and not rely on one of us to hold her or rock her back to some Z's. Took a while for her to learn, but it was all worth it.

*She also naps between 12-3 (usually for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours).

Question. For those of you that have kids or are having kids, did you find out the sex beforehand? I didn't with my first and I'm not with this one either.

We are not going to find out. In fact, we don't even want the next ultrasound (3D or something when you are close to 18 weeks), but our OBGYN is really pushing for us to get it. Did you guys have all of the ultrasounds?

We are not going to find out. In fact, we don't even want the next ultrasound (3D or something when you are close to 18 weeks), but our OBGYN is really pushing for us to get it. Did you guys have all of the ultrasounds?

Yeah, we had ultrasounds weekly due to all of the complications. Whenever there was a chance that the gender might be revealed the tech told us to turn away.

Here's my take on finding out. After about 21, you rarely have any surprises left. We loved being surprised. We were both certain, for whatever reason, that it was going to be a girl. We were wrong. I love the anticipation. My wife's water broke 10 days before she delivered Finn. When we knew it was finally going to be the day, we were so excited to see what we were having.

Congrats to OP and everyone else in here expecting their 1st, or next child.

My daughters a year and a half old, and her sister will be arriving this coming december/january. ( Im hoping december for tax purposes :wink: )

Does anyone know of any forums for getting used/free baby stuff like cribs, strollers and car seats? Theyre friggin expensive as hell.

contractions aint no joke. tell them to give you the spinal cord tap early... you will be num waist down
How early can you get the epidural/spinal tap? I keep having nightmares that the doctor comes in and says Sorry its too late to get one..
Typically you cover that in your "birth plan" with your delivery nurse when you check in. Just let them know you want it ASAP so the anesthesiologist can make room for you in the schedule.  Generally the only time you're in trouble is if you don't want it, then change your mind after the pain comes. It's better to let them know you want it, then change your mind.

My lady is expecting to give birth in April, I'm already starting to sell off my shoes and make space in our small apartment. Not sure how to handle it seeing other babies have room to play and crawl, our apartment is so small I wish I could afford a larger space but not for anothefew years. I'll be checking in this thread occasionally to read all the advice.
Space doesn't matter one bit, give your baby as much love as you possibly can!  Less room means you'll be able to be closer to the baby!

why wouldn't you guys go to the ultra sounds? I went to all the ultrasounds with my gf when she was pregnant.

Congrats to OP and everyone else in here expecting their 1st, or next child.

My daughters a year and a half old, and her sister will be arriving this coming december/january. ( Im hoping december for tax purposes :wink: )

Does anyone know of any forums for getting used/free baby stuff like cribs, strollers and car seats? Theyre friggin expensive as hell.

You should look up baby stuff consignment sales. They have a few in my area like every 3 months. They sell gently used and previously owned baby stuff. Clothes/high chairs/cribs/ etc.

Hey guys- my little girl is a5 months and we usually put her to sleep around 9:30-10pm.

Is that too late for her to be sleeping? granted she takes naps during the day so i'm not sure.....

From what I remember 6 months old should sleep about 14 hours total a day. 2 (1hour naps) during the day. I really don't think that's late as long as they are getting their rest.

How early can you get the epidural/spinal tap? I keep having nightmares that the doctor comes in and says Sorry its too late to get one..
when your contractions hit a certain number on the machine...there is really no certain time but i would ask for it asap

Got 8 kids all boys. Ages 2 months -5 years.

Gon be in all of there lives. 1 got to make it to the nba or nfl right?

Typically you cover that in your "birth plan" with your delivery nurse when you check in. Just let them know you want it ASAP so the anesthesiologist can make room for you in the schedule.  Generally the only time you're in trouble is if you don't want it, then change your mind after the pain comes. It's better to let them know you want it, then change your mind.
o they also will put a pee bag connected to your bladder

Congrats OP. Wish you & your family all the best.

I have a 10 year old son. Aside from our marriage, our son is the best thing that’s ever happened to us. He’s growing up to be a really good person; smart, funny, well spoken, & has his mother’s good looks. I stare at him sleeping at night sometimes. I can’t believe he’s getting so big. My wife & I feel really blessed to have him in our lives. We couldn’t have wished for a better son.

It wasn’t easy though, having a child is the hardest work you’ll ever do but it’s definitely a labor of love & you definitely need loads of patience. Our son was colic during his first 3 months & it was awful. I’m not a patient person by nature but I learned to be. I came to understand there were things that were going to happen that you just can’t control & you have to learn to have grace in times of duress.

It’s important to work together with the mother. You’ll never understand that more than when the baby comes. Also, get into a routine once the baby comes. It will help bring about normalcy to your lives & the baby’s. If the baby doesn’t sleep well at night, learn to take naps whenever the baby naps.

Resist the urge to try & get some things done while the baby is sleeping. If things have to be done, then you or the baby’s mother should take turns taking naps. Being well rested is paramount in dealing with the stress of a dealing with a newborn. However you may luck out & get a baby that sleeps fine.

Also, don’t try to make the house all quiet when the baby sleeps. Let the baby get used to the way your house sounds during that time of day. Also after the first several weeks after the birth, try to get out & about with the baby. Don’t sequester yourself at home. Get the baby used to being out & about. It’s good for you, the mother, & the baby. You won’t feel so isolated being at home all the time that can happen when a newborn arrives. Even if it’s to walk around the mall.

Anyway good luck to you & the baby’s mother. PM me if you ever need advice.

Edit - make sure you pick a good pediatrician.

Last edited:
everybody round me having kids at 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

glad I dont have a little

dont know how I would be able to handle it

congrats to the OP and all the dads on here that take care of the kids not just financially

Congrats OP!

My wife and I just had our first baby girl back in December.

It def. changes your life, my baby girl is literally on my mind 24/7....all I ever think about and everything I work for goes toward her and mama.

My baby girl is already 9-months, crawling all over the place, learning to use her voice a lot more, pointing/waving at things...its seriously amazing to watch them grow and I know everyone says this but its true: they grow up so fast!...these last 9 months have felt like a blur but def. the best time of my life so far.

Good luck! You'll be a great Dad if you want to be!

Got 8 kids all boys. Ages 2 months -5 years.

Gon be in all of there lives. 1 got to make it to the nba or nfl right?

are there twins any where in there? Holy cow!

Tax season must be like christmas for you with all those dependants. :lol:

everybody round me having kids at 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

glad I dont have a little

dont know how I would be able to handle it

congrats to the OP and all the dads on here that take care of the kids not just financially

lol consider yourself lucky. I'm 32 looking back at that age WHY THE **** WOULD YOU EVEN WANT KIDS. Most of the couples I know that had kids that young broke up.

Last edited:
Originally our plan was not to find out and let it be a surprise when the baby came.. But during ultrasounds we couldn't take it and asked what it was and she told us boy.. Ain't gonna lie I was real happy cause I didn't want to deal with a baby girl and having to own multiple guns :lol:

Last edited:
How easy was it for ya'll to think of a name? I'm a extremely picky person. Knowing in my mind, that I will have to call this guy this name for the rest of my life. I've got a list, but it's so hard to narrow one down. I think I'll have one, and my girl will turn me down & vice versa.

:smh:

We pulled a list of about 20 names we liked. We then went down the list each night and picked the 3 we liked most that day and kept a total of which ones were "winning" in the end and removed the ones neither of us liked, or one strongly opposed. It's hard, but ultimately, you'll grow to like whatever you choose because you'll be calling him that so much you'll mostly forget your other options after a couple months.

We had 4 names, 2 boys and 2 girls, picked out before we found out what we are having. Getting to the 4 names was a challenge since we are doing hispanic names. Now we have 3 other names we will use for our other kids when that time comes.

Back
Top Bottom