NTers w garage door openers.........

might be a weird topic but i already googled my brand and didnt find anything in FAQs.  i never had a garage door opener til i moved out and bought my own house.  the control thing i have on my visor works when im driving home and press it to open the door but when i am leaving and back out of the driveway and press the same button, the door goes down like an inch then the light in the garage blinks and it goes back up.  any ideas? the sensors are both green so idk what it could be.  bad battery in the control?  it works to open the door just not to close it...

You'll probably notice it when the temperature changes because things change shape slightly.  For lack of a better explanation, the garage door opener thinks it's going to jam on the way down either because the sensors have moved slightly or because the rails are slightly skewed.  It doesn't have these problems on the way up because because there's no built in safety mechanism to stop a garage door from opening - only to stop them from closing. 

Fix your problem like this:
Watch it go down.  When it stops, hit the button on your control before it reverses.  This should make the door completely stop where it is.  Then hit your button again to make it go down.  Your basically overriding the safety mechanism and telling it to go anyway. 

Does it only happen with the remote? Meaning will the door shut if you press the button from inside the house? If not my garage door has a sensor thing where if something (a child, my dog, a piece of paper) goes in front of the sensors it automatically goes back up (and the light blinks a few times) as a safety precaution.

On my garage door, there's a calibration settings on the panel where the motor runs the chain through. Every now and then it goes out of place and have to be set back on. You might want to check that out.

Try this..
check the wiring that runs to the sensors...we had placed some storage items next to the sensor and it had undone a splice in the wiring.

Originally Posted by What up

I'm sure a post about Lebron James should solve the issue.
wait what?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

You'll probably notice it when the temperature changes because things change shape slightly.  For lack of a better explanation, the garage door opener thinks it's going to jam on the way down either because the sensors have moved slightly or because the rails are slightly skewed.  It doesn't have these problems on the way up because because there's no built in safety mechanism to stop a garage door from opening - only to stop them from closing. 

Fix your problem like this:
Watch it go down.  When it stops, hit the button on your control before it reverses.  This should make the door completely stop where it is.  Then hit your button again to make it go down.  Your basically overriding the safety mechanism and telling it to go anyway. 

Back
Top Bottom