NT'ers, where have you travelled after graduating from College?

I'm considering to teach English (or do volunteer work) abroad, so I've looked into a few programs. But name some noteworthy spots to travel to beforedoing (or returning in my case) the 9-5 full time shift, etc.

At the moment, there's the standard teaching abroad in some asian countries (ie: Korea and Japan) which is what I'm looking into at the moment.

There's also peace corps. (if you want to get involved in diplomacy and government work) in the future. Check with your local colleges to see what'sbeing offered, since it varies from different programs to different campuses.

I'm still here, doing Masters. A friend of mine is considering a job in England. I was going to start a thread like this too.
laugh.gif
Was going to ask if inthe thread, would you consider relocating overseas, if the opportunity presents itself.

I can't figure out where I'm going to vacation after I graduate this year.

It's either a West Coast swing: Philippines, Thailand, Tokyo, California

or an East Coast Swing: London, Paris, Holland, New York.

Wj4: It's possible depending on the type of industry you're going into. Like my friend wants to do international relations, and after Peace Corps,he's thinking of working for an embassy considering his background.

The Above: I heard Holland is dope spot to check out according to an acquaintance of mine.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

Wj4: It's possible depending on the type of industry you're going into. Like my friend wants to do international relations, and after Peace Corps, he's thinking of working for an embassy considering his background.

The Above: I heard Holland is dope spot to check out according to an acquaintance of mine.
I should've worded it better. I meant to say would you consider the thought? Some people aren't too fond of relocating to another city,let alone another country. Because going to a foreign place, you're going to be a stranger there overseas.

Wj4: Ah, in that case. Yeah I would consider it (at least temporarily). Kind of sick of staying in Cali for the longest time. Feels like I need a bit of"Lost In Translation" (not particularly Japan in a sense) before I get my bearings and consider business grad school in 1-2 years.

It's a love/hate thing for me. I feel kinda like you in a way. I've been around my area (L.A. county in general) since I came into the country. I lovethe atmosphere and everything around here. After HS ended, I had friends scattered all over the country, going to different colleges and universities. It kindamade me feel like I was in a bubble since I go to a university 5 miles from the old high school campus. There's been times where I want to relocate so Ican explore what other parts of the world have to offer. But there's also been times where I wanna get a nice house around here and be grounded here.
laugh.gif
Weird, I know.

Co-Sign wj4.

I'm the same way, being a native of Cali all the way. Wouldn't mind being "settled" down but that won't be for another decade or so haha.But yeah, if you have the chance definitely explore options to go abroad. You can even travel abroad during your Grad program, one of my friends at my localuniversity is doing that currently and he just came back from Spain. I'm just concerned with my deferring of loan payments and also prepping for gradschool, since it's something I definitely want to do in the near future.

^ Same I have a family member doing that right now.

Welp, guess nobody has much experience let alone input, thanks anyway.

I have a family friend who is at Harvard, who then during the summer travels to South America to teach English.

I'd reccomend looking into something like that, personally.

As for where to go, it really depends what region(s) of the world you want to explore.

At my firm I had a supervisor who quit to join the peace corp. She wound up (and actually selected) in Africa. She enjoyed it, but didn't last as long asshe intended.

I've always thought about going to Japan to teach English but I doubt I would ever go thtough with it...

I graduated this May, just found out I got a job in Costa Rica
pimp.gif
I'll let you know how it goes

If you are unemployed and really want to travel here's what I would suggest:
Peace Corps, USAid, etc. long commitment but supposedly worthwhile, looks GREAT on a job application

But rather, work for a couple months, save some dough, sell your shoes, whatever to get a couple grand...then put some clothes and a sleeping bag in a backpackand just go...now's the time to see the world, you can stay at hostels pretty much anywhere, a lot of places will also let you work (do dishes, clean therooms) instead of paying to stay there

www.tripadvisor.com

Anyone else? I'd love to hear people's recommendations for programs, opportunities, fellowships, scholarships, etc. Thanks NT

i want too. and i think i am with family to like Japan or China!! never been before

i plan to teach in italy once i get certified...my mother hires teachers overseas so its nothing when i'm ready...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

i plan to teach in italy once i get certified...my mother hires teachers overseas so its nothing when i'm ready...
pimp.gif
word..I may have to holla at ya mama

my boy teaches overseas in Korea as well..

I plan on joining the PeaceCorp. It isn't easy but two family members did it so I should be good. I heard Africa is NOT the place to be so I will be goingto South America.

applied to the jet programme after graduating and got rejected. currently live in bangkok for boxing, but when i quit i'd love to work in hong kong. spenta few days there last month, liked the atmosphere.

Yeah, Peace Corp. I heard is a good alternative. And, they defer your loan payments (especially if you just graduated), but you need all your health stuffresolved before you head out to the destination.

Hm, I heard JET you have to be really qualified as an undergrad and possibly work on acquiring TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificationbefore considering you.

Back
Top Bottom