NTers who joined from 1999 to 2002....come in here real quick.

Ironically enough, it was ppl on boards like this around that time frame that ruined this so called "culture".
That's the truth.

When you open a subculture to the public, you make a Faustian bargain. You get a window where it is extremely helpful and the true heads reap all kinds of benefits. You expand networks, access, information, etc. But, it's a ticking time bomb because there's no barrier to entry to the culture any more - no cultural capital needed for a person to join... especially since NT doesn't even screen members anymore.

The state of things today is not some perversion - it's the natural and expected result on something like NT becoming successful. Look what corporate America did to hip hop? Look at what 12oz Prophet did to graff. Desecration of the culture is the endgame.

And, as for that state of the hobby - it's a volume issue; the lowest common denominator rules. "Sneakerheads" get the state of the hobby and the treatment from Nike that they deserve. I can't honestly sit here and say that I would operate all that differently if I was Nike. Dudes got Stockholm Syndrome.

But, I still love sneakers. I have never Twitter RSVP'ed, or used a bot, or anything like that. That's only one aspect of things. 99% of the people in the hobby could be poison - as long as there's a small community of people who "get it" I'll just continue to rock with them. The rest of it is just noise. I'm not going to stop listening to old Kane albums because Drake dropped another record, so why would a bunch of people fawning over ridiculous sneakers stop me from appreciating what I've always appreciated on my terms?
Well said man

Started on NT just for the sneaker news and idolization of people's collections and pickups. Now, I stay in General and barely go in the Sneaker Forum.

nerd.gif

Pretty sure my join date is wrong. Been here since 01 or so.

Still love sneakers. Don't buy as much as I used to and still have plenty to rock.

Love being able to see new Cement IVs on my feet. I know the shape and materials ain't the same. But the look takes me back to a happy place :lol:

Still doing AM1 and AF1 ID's. Buying retro J's and runners.

What's happening around the sneakers doesn't change my actual interest in the sneakers.

And no, I'm not a "sneakerhead". I just like sneakers.

^^^ QFT

Been lurking for years. Found out about the black/silver VI lows on here . Had no idea what a quickstrike was but nobody else did either so I got em with ease lol. Not today.......

The game has changed and so have I. I mostly rock with things that are comfortable as I got older (new balance asics saucony air max) mostly runners now. I love Jordan's but I just don't rock with a lot of the newer stuff. I hate to be that grumpy old man but the kids can have em. To some this is a fad or a way to "stunt" but to most of us it's a fun hobby.

It's still fun to chase after that pair you missed as a kid or the pair that brings back memories but I don't do it often . There are still ways you can get your grails but just don't let em take your love of sneakers because it sounds like a lot of you guys wanna give up or have given up

Last edited:
I have bought about 4-5 pair of J's in the last 4-5 years lol. I really slowed down alot and truthfully barely have time to wear what i have.

we were here before the mainstream and we'll be here after.

Just stay classy and be an example for these young bloods to follow.

been here since 00'

used to use netscape navigator :smokin to hit up nikepark in the library on the reg.

nikepark and "nude raider" cheats of course

I consider NT my home on the internetz.

the shoe "game" is really messed up. Had my house robbed in july and the oldest pair of J's taken were concord 11's. Like really?

Still love kicks, although the type of kicks I like are changing and so is the technology. I still actively look for the things I missed out on and probably will keep going till I have the ones I always wanted. Added plus is that the OG versions of a lot of my favorite shoes aren't wearable. So when Nike decides to retro about 20 + shoes that used to be unwearable, it helps. The quality is truly not that bad. Shoe life for the most part is at least 10 years before you start facing some issues.

It was never a fad thing with me, I've grown with the times and there is still good in the culture. The OGs who shun it are just moving on. The interest has been with me for years and I look forward to the future.

Last edited:
I lurked for a few years before joining.

View media item 591982This was the beginning of the end. After this release there was no slowing down the hype train. JB/Nike knew they had us right by the balls.

If you dont know about this fitted than this thread isnt for you.

The only way im copping sneakers if its really cheap, etc and i like it or whatever interests me at ross or marshalls. Havent bought a msrp shoe in years. When you grow older you have different priorities and sneakers are just on the backburner. NT general is what keeps me here but that too is a former shell of itself.

View media item 591982This was the beginning of the end. After this release there was no slowing down the hype train. JB/Nike knew they had us right by the balls.

If you dont know about this fitted than this thread isnt for you.

What's up with that fitted?

I'll come to SD and scoop you up. We can pitch a tent together. ODU days just like strolling through Military Circle Mall.

MCM is wack now imo.

Although I've recently/finally joined NT (long time lurker) I soon after lost my passion for sneakers......we'll Nike Basketball and Jordan Brand at least. I tried copping a JB product once or twice this year but I just strike out online, boy how do I miss those midnight online releases smh. Anyways I'm more into runners now soI go check out post in the FlyknitRacer/Trainer and Roshe threads but that's about it. I'm always in general randomly posting and laughing my *** off at the TAYs thread. Although I'm not into sneakers anymore, I can never go a day without looking at the NT General thread.

Been lurking since my juco days in 01-02 when I use to search "cheap nike air maxes", niketalkyuku was always on the first page lol...

The game has definitely changed. My boys use to clown calling me a pretty boy back in the day because of my passion for nike's. These are the same fools nowadays rocking pink foams and tags hanging out there j's at age 30+ ...

This was the beginning of the end. After this release there was no slowing down the hype train. JB/Nike knew they had us right by the balls.
 is it hype or is it just more people gaining notice of something? Does Nike do promo commercials to hype up these items or are they just regular release information?
I'll give you an example. With the current age we live in, its easy to access knowledge and more people have access to that knowledge. With that natural order of things, more people will discover and potentially like the shoes. As a result the demand goes up while the quantity may remain the same. Is that hyping the item or is Nike just practicing proper Brand integrity by not overflowing their own market?

I don't see Nike doing anything EXTRA that causes Hype. Nike doesn't own these blogs, heck Nike doesn't even own Niketalk. Typical process for releasing shoes you deem as "hyped" is to answer a slew of questions regarding the shoe, then post official release information(pictures, item location). They don't even do commercials like they used to because they don't have to.

People find out about the shoe and they try to get it. Becomes harder when you have 100,000 people knowing about a shoe of only 20 thousand. They all are competing to get the shoe and some go to far and do things like use Bots.

The people make the business. A smart business sees a market and supply the demand  with the products. When done correctly, the customer will return for more items and you built brand loyalty. It's all it is. Whether you like it less now, bothers Nike because that is 1 less customer. To please you, they release shoes you loved. This also reintroduces shoes to newer customers. Its a business at the end of the day.

Its upsetting to see people who have some emotion attachment from their days of growing up distract them from reality. Some of you should know better by now, yet you keep complaining.

Last edited:
I wasn't an NTer back then, but my life was about sneakers...I'm I allowed to comment on the current state of kicks?

I wasn't an NTer back then, but my life was about sneakers...I'm I allowed to comment on the current state of kicks?
You collect sneakers(or at least did), add your commentary. You recently spoke about your transition from basketball shoes to a more mature look. Explain why you moved on.

Peep da sig :pimp:

Still cop kicks...mostly runners and flyknits. All I need is a couple pairs of blk red 1's and I'm good $. **** all that other exclusive ****

Came for kicks...stayed for the fam. Started Dec 00 but joined Apr 01. Could care less about shoes at this point. The quality and prices don't add up.

Let us appreciate those who've discovered NT during times when sneaker info and accessibility were scarce, back when we paved the lanes for those born in the 90's, for those who are on IG stunting all day right now because of the inspiration we provided to those around us locally, nationally and internationally.

NTers who became NTers from 1999 to 2002 - how do you feel about the sneaker cutlure nowadays? Do you still have that passion, is it still the same? Do you think we helped influence those who are just getting into the culture now?

And also, how do you feel about the direction the whole sneaker thing is going in? With Nike bastardizing every release now? Using online tools to release sneakers, nowadays - I can't keep up anymore
frown.gif

I've literally lost most of my interest in sneakers...and it sucks. Do my OG Nters feel the same way?
The real diehard "sneaker culture" is still alive and kicking, although you have to search harder to find it.  Reminds me of classic, lasting hip-hop in a way--no longer is it as accessible to the masses like it was when I was growing up.  You have to dig for it, just like you have to dig to find folks that do what they do with sneakers for the love and not for the likes on IG or retweets on Twitter.  That said, I've come to realize that they're just rubber and leather.  I appreciate the diehard heads, but I lean more towards just being a fan.  Yeah it irks me to see something I love bastardized, but at the end of the day they're sneakers.  I'm always kind of weirded out by the uber-diehard, superfan dudes, to be honest.  They're almost as bad as hypebeasts.  

My passion for sneakers has never waned, although my tastes have definitely changed over the years.  Started out strictly in the JB forum, but now I browse there once every few months and quickly exit due to all the tomfoolery that goes on there.  
laugh.gif
  I haven't kept a pair of J's since like '05, although I've bought a few here and there (ended up selling them b/c they never got worn).  Even Nike retros have lost their luster to me--just can't get with paying more $ for a product that is inferior to the OG.  Give me quality materials and I'll come back, but until then I'm over there in "Other Brands" where I get better quality for my $$.    

As far as influence, hell yeah we did that.  How could we not?  Without the tenured NTers, would NT have lasted?  Maybe so, but I don't think it would be the force that it has become today.  The users make NikeTalk what it is, so just by showing up and contributing here and there, we've had an influence.  

Whatever the current direction of this sneaker thing, I can say that I'll be here after it gets where it's going.  I was here before the hype and I'll be here after.  I just like sneakers.  

If it weren't for NT back in the day, I wouldn't have known about the blk/red XI (refuse to call them br*ds) back in December 2001... NikeTalk used to consume my internet time a great deal, back in the day... MUCH RESPECT

Back
Top Bottom