NT'ers with MBA's. Come in.

It also depends on what type of job you are going for. If you want a 1% type of job you need to be in a top 10 school. If you don't plan on working at a Forbes 500 then you don't really need to be at a top 25 school. No matter what you want to do, it's not what you know but who you know.

I'm glad I went the accounting route... Deal with enough finance to keep me happy and didn't need to incur the cost of an MBA

Originally Posted by ricky409

^^^^

What was your gmat score...

Plus some tips on the test would be nice.

740, if you need higher score go lookup manhattan gmat or verities prep, those are more geared to people who want 700+ for top schools
also be sure to check out gmatclub.com and beatthegmat.com

both sites helped a lot, especially with staying motivated 

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

^^^^

740, if you need higher score go lookup manhattan gmat or verities prep, those are more geared to people who want 700+ for top schools

fa sho famb ... I'm already registered on gmatclub.com...How long did you prepare?

gearing up for my test next month...

i'm going down road a little less (more?) traveled, taking the longer route by getting an MS-Fin first... working...

then looking for a top tier school...

hitting these study guides atleast 1 hour a day... 4 on the weekends...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Also something people are neglecting to consider...scholarships.
if your a minority check out the consortium for graduate studies in management, I'm in it, all but 1 of the students who went through it have scholarships, at least half rides, many full
if your a female, check out the Forte foundation
lots of students at my school are getting partial rides......that changes everything.

my story:

I'm a first year MBA with an internship lined up at a F50 company in boston, i go to a top 20 b school (hint if it were 15th i would say top 15 b school)
i was making 45K plus bonus before coming in, topped out @ 52K
Im going to be paid at a rate of 105K for my internship (10 weeks), its a tough one to get out of my school but easy out of top 10 programs.
We have kids who worked at IB/MC and career changers who are headed there for the summer and full time.
THe best salaries for full time offers are from the big 3 consultin companies....135K base 20K signing, up to 25K performance based.
IB is very similar for your 1st year after graduation but skyrockets soon after.

my GPA was garbage but I worked in a boutique PE shop and crushed the GMAT, thats how i got in.
It is about networking, I'm good with people when i need to be and I'm up there as far getting interviews, i could have gone into finance, marketing or consulting, i chose consulting.
What do you consider a garbage GPA. Mine wasn't good either, which is another excuse I'm making for myself smh. I have decent work experience...guess my only hope is to do really well on the GMATs?

Good thread,

I'm currently a Sophomore at Providence College
I am an Accounting Major.
I have a 3.2 GPA but that will def go up in the next semesters.

My school offers a 4+1 program that will save me 6-12 months for getting my MBA.
The only reason I'm going for the Program is to help fulfill my 150 credit hours for the CPA.

Should I try other ways in attaining the 150?
I'm from LA, and it's just tough to get summer classes due to the impacted schools.
I got an internship at Intel though
pimp.gif

It's all relative what you're trying to do. I was double polic sci and econ major at Northwestern, graduated with a 3.7. I currently work in IB.

I got into Booth a couple years ago (700+ gmat), but deferred and eventually just abandoned it to get my CFA instead.

The CFA is useful if you want to get into:

Research
Asset Management
Hedge Funds

Anything else, it's really a hit or miss, imo.

If you want to go into banking or F500 finance, you are much better getting an MBA. If you want to go into trading, a masters in financial engineering or hard science is much more useful. Also, I wouldn't go to any MBA program out of the top 10, or even top 7, unless you're absolutely sure you can be at the top of your graduating class.

Feel free to ask many questions (just quote me so others can see, also) because I've thoroughly deliberated this in the past.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

It's all relative what you're trying to do. I was double polic sci and econ major at Northwestern, graduated with a 3.7. I currently work in IB.

I got into Booth a couple years ago (700+ gmat), but deferred and eventually just abandoned it to get my CFA instead.

The CFA is useful if you want to get into:

Research
Asset Management
Hedge Funds

Anything else, it's really a hit or miss, imo.

If you want to go into banking or F500 finance, you are much better getting an MBA. If you want to go into trading, a masters in financial engineering or hard science is much more useful. Also, I wouldn't go to any MBA program out of the top 10, or even top 7, unless you're absolutely sure you can be at the top of your graduating class.

Feel free to ask many questions (just quote me so others can see, also) because I've thoroughly deliberated this in the past.
That's what i'm aiming for... i feel that i would have a better chance if i got into an MBA program because of networking, the environment, and prestige of a top notch program.

what level are you on with the CFA? i heard those tests are 
sick.gif
sick.gif

i dont understand this, though... average position in a top notch school > top of the class in a mediocre regional school...

ricky409 wrote:
what level are you on with the CFA? i heard those tests are 
sick.gif
sick.gif
i dont understand this, though... average position in a top notch school > top of the class in a mediocre regional school...

I'm on level 3.  I'm hopefully taking the last test in june.  The tests suck, kind of wished I would've gotten my MBA instead, but i'm content with where I am regardless of what I did a couple a years ago.
The idea is that anyone in a top school can go to a mediocre school and boss it up, while the opposite isn't true since a mediocre student will likely never get into a top school.

Not really fair, but c'est la vie 

With regared to work experience, I definitely recommend it. I was accepted into Stanford GSB directly out of college but deferred two years (and decided to defer a third) and it was definitely worth it. It would have been a really tough experience here as a 22 year old.

What school did you go for your undergrad? Berkeley
What was you GPA in undergrad? 3.6 / 790 GMAT
Where did you or currently going for your MBA? Stanford
What GPA did you come out with? We have grade non disclosure so GPA doesn't matter here
What kind of field did you get your MBA in? Focusing on entrepreneurship
What job do you have now? not really relevant
Did you find work immediately after getting your MBA? Pretty much everyone here has more job offers than they can handle.

I definitely recommend an MBA if you have a good reason for doing it - need to develop a network, want to swtich careers, want to move into management or you're an engineer that wants to move into a more powerful position, but doing it just to put it on your resume and "meet people" is probably pretty useless.

For me, the value of the MBA so far has been 85% meeting fascinating new people in different fields and having really once in a lifetime experiences, and maybe 15% academic education. And since I have a really limited business background, that 15% is on the high side compared with my classmates. I think that doing an MBA part time or doing it somewhere where you're not excited to be there and excited to learn from your classmates would be a waste of time and money.

Originally Posted by VirgilMalloy

With regared to work experience, I definitely recommend it. I was accepted into Stanford GSB directly out of college but deferred two years (and decided to defer a third) and it was definitely worth it. It would have been a really tough experience here as a 22 year old.

What school did you go for your undergrad? Berkeley
What was you GPA in undergrad? 3.6 / 790 GMAT
Where did you or currently going for your MBA? Stanford
What GPA did you come out with? We have grade non disclosure so GPA doesn't matter here
What kind of field did you get your MBA in? Focusing on entrepreneurship
What job do you have now? not really relevant
Did you find work immediately after getting your MBA? Pretty much everyone here has more job offers than they can handle.

I definitely recommend an MBA if you have a good reason for doing it - need to develop a network, want to swtich careers, want to move into management or you're an engineer that wants to move into a more powerful position, but doing it just to put it on your resume and "meet people" is probably pretty useless.

For me, the value of the MBA so far has been 85% meeting fascinating new people in different fields and having really once in a lifetime experiences, and maybe 15% academic education. And since I have a really limited business background, that 15% is on the high side compared with my classmates. I think that doing an MBA part time or doing it somewhere where you're not excited to be there and excited to learn from your classmates would be a waste of time and money.
with stats like this... you're good...
but i think the job is necessary...

how did you manage a 790 on the gmat? any helpful tips? NTer to NTer... keep it one hunnid...

i'm taking mine next month... 

Originally Posted by kickzkrazy33

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

The good MBA schools don't accept people right out of undergrad. You need 2 years work experience at least.

In finance, an MBA opens a whole new world of job opportunities from what I hear. Most undergrads that didn't
get a "New York" job will go for the MBA in hopes of getting in at a bulge bracket. Only other way is working
your way up at a smaller firm.

Wrong, this is evidenced by the Stanford MBA that posted that got in straight from undergrad. I am an undergrad graduating this year and have gotten into Yale SOM (Silver Scholar) and Cornell Johnson, to name a couple, both with scholarships and am awaiting to hear from the HBS 2+2 program. I believe my brother CMBWHODI and I will attend Yale SOM next year as we have both been admitted.

If you aren't at an IVY, Nyu, Chicago, Stanford or Northwestern it's not really worth it (may have missed a cpl) 

USC is very good, because of the Trojan family as they essentially rule SoCal.

if you can't get into top tier b-schools, don't waste your money and if you insist then pick a great regional school with an alumni network that is tightly bonded to the school

lolwut?
and its not likely that you get in out of undergrad... that stanford guy went to Berkley and had a friggin' 790... that's not normal, fam...

Frank Matthews is wrong, but its not easy.

congrats on gettin the offer to Yale SOM, doe... 

what did you makeon the gmat?

I've heard a lot of differing opinions regarding getting an MBA. A lot of people who are on the fast track don't recommend it, as it is a huge investment (100k tuition + 2 years of missed wages). That being said, since I'm not really sure if I'm on the fast track or not and have already taken the GMAT, I'm going to apply to some of the top 10 programs this year.

One of my co-workers applied this year (we have very similar stats, and the same work experience). He applied to the top 7 programs but only got into 2, which is a little discouraging.

If you want to get into a top 10 b-school then you should be looking to get above a 700 on the GMAT.
It's not so much the work that you do at b-school that matters, but the rolodex you leave with that goes a long way.

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

I've heard a lot of differing opinions regarding getting an MBA. A lot of people who are on the fast track don't recommend it, as it is a huge investment (100k tuition + 2 years of missed wages). That being said, since I'm not really sure if I'm on the fast track or not and have already taken the GMAT, I'm going to apply to some of the top 10 programs this year.

One of my co-workers applied this year (we have very similar stats, and the same work experience). He applied to the top 7 programs but only got into 2, which is a little discouraging.

If you get into two out of M7, that's hardly discouraging, imo.  
People need to think of it this way, if you go to M7, you can basically do anything business related just about anywhere.  Outside of that, it gets more specialized i.e. if you want to do P/E or Banking, then Tuck or Stern would be good.  If you want to do business in Texas, then obviously UT, etc.  There are M7 alumni all over the world so it positions you to go all over the world.  Other schools will have regional pockets of alumni for you to network with.  B-school is all about networking.  If you're there to learn, you're fooling yourself and are in it for the wrong reasons.

When you guys speak of Work Experience are you guys referring to Experience that deals directly with what you are applying to or what?

I'm currently getting my MBA at a local state college that isn't top 10. I'm a few semesters in and it's going alright. Lots of the same stuff from undergrad just more is expected and it's all group work. I already work for my dream company so I didn't want to leave to go get a full time MBA and had to stay local in order to do part time. For my needs it works and will put the "MBA" title on my resume / allow me to move up faster. If you aren't tied down a top school should be the priority though in my opinion.

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

how is that discouraging... you only need one person to say yes, famb...
son act like you need to have a free threow percentage. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

^^^^

looked up verities...
those prices famb...

sick.gif
sick.gif

As someone that finished my MBA at 22, I'll chime in. I went that route because I got a full ride for a JD/MBA program. After 2 semesters of law school, I realized I hate it and had no true interest in the law (just there for the potential paycheck) so I finished my MBA rather than the dual degree.

What school did you go for your undergrad? Wright State University
What was you GPA in undergrad? 3.6 (4.0 in major work)
Where did you or currently going for your MBA? University of Cincinnati
What GPA did you come out with? 3.95
What kind of field did you get your MBA in? Finance and sustainability (B.S. was in Marketing and Management)
What job do you have now? I run my own business while searching for other employment.
Did you find work immediately after getting your MBA? No.

For someone in my position, companies get scared. They feel you're overqualified for entry level positions, but do not have the experience for middle management positions that come with your education.

If I were you, and assuming you do not have a scholarship for your MBA, I'd wait. The schools will still be around in a few years after you get some experience under your belt. Otherwise, you'll probably run into the catch22 I've been dealing with for a while now.

Best of luck OP.

Back
Top Bottom