NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

I have a question for you guys:

I know nothing about guns, but my dad has several old pistols that he'd like me to sell for him. The thing is, I have no idea how to go about this. I obviously can't sell em on ebay. He was told by his friend that one is worth about 800-1400, and 2 others worth about 400 each. Can someone point me where to go to get rid of em? Def not gonna take em to the pawn shop.

You can try gunsamerica.com and also gunbroker.com to sell them. Try to do research on the particular models you have and see what they are going for in the condition they are in. Beware of asking the wrong people because they might lowball you in order to get the gun for themselves for cheap, that's why I suggest doing your research.

Cliffnotes: Look for the model number then go to sites like gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com to see what price they are going for. Then you can sell them on those sites, they have instructions on how to become a seller if you choose to go that route.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Maybe someone in here would know.

I know a person who came up on a Marine issue M40 rifle.  It's definitely been used but past that I can't get out of him exactly how he came up on it.
laugh.gif

When people ask, he tells them that it's a replica.

How difficult/easy is it to come up on a real Marine issue M40? Are M40's on sale reg ( low key of course)?

btw, that thing is accurate. We went to the range and someone asked him where he got the M40. He responded that it was a replica. The guy said it was too accurate to be a replica.
laugh.gif
  Are M40's significantly more accurate that sniper rifles accessible to the civilians?

idk either way as I know next to nothing about firearms. All I know, is that it is a real M40 and it's been "used" (per his words).
I'm not sayng it's not a "real" M40 because I haven't seen it, but I'd love to hear the story of how that one got away. True talk, all the M40 is a short action Remington 700 accurized further by the Marine armory in Quantico VA. Just like the Army's M24 is a long action Remmy 700. I do know that guys will take a stock Rem 700 and outfit it to look exactly like the M40 and call it an M40 build. As far as accuracy goes and as far as availability is concerned for the most part you can buy all the components as a civvy to make your rifle as accurate at the military versions. The M40 is special since the Marine armorers put their magic on it, but a few gunsmiths can do similar if not the same handy work.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

I have a question for you guys:

I know nothing about guns, but my dad has several old pistols that he'd like me to sell for him. The thing is, I have no idea how to go about this. I obviously can't sell em on ebay. He was told by his friend that one is worth about 800-1400, and 2 others worth about 400 each. Can someone point me where to go to get rid of em? Def not gonna take em to the pawn shop.

You can try gunsamerica.com and also gunbroker.com to sell them. Try to do research on the particular models you have and see what they are going for in the condition they are in. Beware of asking the wrong people because they might lowball you in order to get the gun for themselves for cheap, that's why I suggest doing your research.

Cliffnotes: Look for the model number then go to sites like gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com to see what price they are going for. Then you can sell them on those sites, they have instructions on how to become a seller if you choose to go that route.

Yup, online gun auctions are your best bets.  I'm assuming your pop is not an FFL holder(federal firearms license).  So what he has to do is post the listing online, and when it ends have the winner email/mail/fax a copy of his FFL or if the buyer is not an FFL he will have the guys who will do his transfer send their FFL.  Depending on your state laws you can mail the gun out directly through usps w/ proof that youre sending to an FFL(ie. with that FFL you just received) OR just have your dad bring the guns to a dealer/gunshop that does FFL transfers and have them do the entire transaction for a fee.  Sounds kind of confusing but its really simple, I've done it numerous times. If all else fails search for local gun forums and post in the classifieds or do a co-signment with a dealer.

Originally Posted by shoefreak77

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

edit... i want to get a hand gun within the next three months ... what would you guys prefer for a home defense starter pistol? i want something that is easy to load/shoot/accessorize and have experience with a glock .40 cal but i dont really know much about handguns ... any suggestions?
Me personally, I swear by Springfield XD. I feel they are a lot better than Glocks in grip size, packaging, etc.  They recently just start spinning out the Springfield XDm line. Deeper grooves in the grip, extended clip holds more. They have a 9mm and .40 cal right now, u should check them out. Anybody at a gun shop will tell you the same thing, that for the money (they are cheaper than Glocks as well) you can't find a finer piece of machinery.  The guy at my local gun shop told me that it's rare to find any used XD's because ppl never sell them back
laugh.gif
and I believe him b/c I don't think I'll ever sell my .45acp XD, not many .45's can get a 13+1 round capacity
pimp.gif
I just bought my first handgun...never even fired a gun before...i went with Springfield Armory XD 45....i have only put 50 rounds through it, but really like it.
I was you about 3yrs ago.
laugh.gif
. When I made the jump into gun ownership, the XD was what I put my money on. I'd still like a S&W but right now funds aint permittin. Next firearm I do get is a small 9mm for the mrs, might even be XD compact. I love the safety features on it and I'd feel safe w/ her havin one w/ the grip and trigger safety.

I'm looking to buy a pistol within the next couple of weeks, but I can't really decide what to get. I'm looking to spend no more than $1500, so I guess that puts me in the Kimber range? I went to a gun store here in CA and I looked at a Springfield 1911 "loaded" model and a Wilson Combat that was way out of my range ($$$$$).  I didn't really handle any Kimber models, but I've been doing a little research online... Here is what I was interested in, but I really like what Elder has.

spg_27820.jpg

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

I don't know much about guns, but my dad gave this to me as a present when I graduated college.
5pigzk.jpg
Well your dad gave you an excellent sidearm as a graduation present. Those H&K's look heavy but are really light, and they are also very accurate. As a matter of fact that is a version of the pistol that was used for the Mark 23 SOCOM Offensive pistol. Have you put any rounds through it?
Just so you know your dad is the man. If that is a MK23 you got a $1600+ for free. The only thing is a MK23 is a big %@% pistol, about as big as a Desert Eagle.

Originally Posted by smoke ya later

17a353baebb653d0759d1514aa8b2e2f3300b39.pjpg

63b35fd6e7c2512b7069154fad58e0b748fe78e.pjpg

from my iphone last weekend

This is an example of a complete firearm collection. At least one handgun, one shotgun, and one rifle. I spy 2 match grade 1911's a stainless Glock, a Mossberg (I may be off on that), and a NICE M4/AR  with what seems like a laser aiming module. I also see that Shemagh. Seems like Operator gear to me. Hmm.
yeah bro, I talked to you on here before.  The Glock is actually all black but the pic made it look stainless.  correct on everything else.  there is a doublestar .45 and a doublestar AR with magpul accessories.  the PAC4 on there I actually kept when I got out of the Air Force, its used with nightvision, right now it just looks cool on the rail.

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

I'm looking to buy a pistol within the next couple of weeks, but I can't really decide what to get. I'm looking to spend no more than $1500, so I guess that puts me in the Kimber range? I went to a gun store here in CA and I looked at a Springfield 1911 "loaded" model and a Wilson Combat that was way out of my range ($$$$$).  I didn't really handle any Kimber models, but I've been doing a little research online... Here is what I was interested in, but I really like what Elder has.

spg_27820.jpg
There are two routes you can go with a 1911 depending on how much of an initial investment you want to make. You can buy an already "kitted" out 1911 like a Kimber, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, WIlson COmbat, Springfield Loaded, Doublestar, but the initial investment will be kind of steep for a handgun. Or you can buy a base model Taurus (I say base model cause some of the Taurus come kitted), or a G.I. Model Springfield for around $500. From there you can slowly buy match grade custom parts and add them to your 1911. Custom barrels, bushings, trigger, skeletonized hammer, extended beaver tail, extended safety, grips, and checkering are examples. It will cost more in the long run than buying one already kitted, but at least you can spread the cost out over time. Plus I hear it is more fun to do it that way since it is only the stuff you wanted and picked out.

Originally Posted by tml09

ElderWatsonDiggs- Where in Raleigh is your shop? I might swing by. I've had my eyes on getting 1911 or a 5-7, if at least test firing one or both.
What's up my fellow NC'er. The shop is called Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center PDHSC off of Tryon road.  Has a nice indoor range. Here is the website. http://www.pdhsc.com That FN Five Seven is a nice handgun with a nice hot round. Those lil suckers will penetrate a vest, of course that is not your purpose, just illustrating its capabilities. Only thing is ammo availability, you may want to buy bulk so that you know you'll have a stash in case they become rare, since it isn't a mainstream caliber. That is the advantage of 9mm and .45 ACP, you almost always find those.

bigups to elderwatsondiggs and seattle206, one of the names i recognize from the post when my man BFO was still around. can't forget BFO without mentioning my dude oo206oo. if it weren't for them two i'd likely still be looking into getting something horrible like a POS hi-point. or calling magazines "clips."

my first gun was a p6 on a police trade in. loved the single stack, didn't love trying to find oem mags for it. the grip felt awesome. considered putting walnut grips on it, but the fact that for a 9mm it wouldn't pack 10 rounds irked me a bit. that, and the particular one i owned had sights that were not removable (i think). also the lack of a rail made me move onto a g19.

in hindsight, due to gun laws in my state, i should have opted for the g23 or even a g21. more firepower within the confines of what i can own. but i'm very happy with what i've got. put some ameriglo operator pro series night sights on it, with a bike innertube on the grip for a little more traction. people complain about the ergonomics of the glock, but a glock was the first gun i ever fired besides the h&k usp .45, so i got used to the blocky grip fairly easily. yeah it's not as comfortable as sigs or h&k's, but it's a lot cheaper and is potentially less expensive to maintain due to the massive amount of parts being available.

looking to purchase another g19 fairly soon after i find someone to take my g30. you know, the whole 2 is 1, 1 is none theory and whatnot.

also have a remington 870 with a mesa tactical leo pistol grip + stock adapter. looking to put some magpul furniture on there in the near future.

somewhat of a superfluous purchase for me, but i also bought the MS2 sling for my remy. it's my primary since the gun laws here have gimped almost any use of an ar or ak.

any of you buy the magpul dynamic handgun dvd? piqued my interest so i made the purchase and ended up being fairly happy with my purchase. now if the price of ammo could drop so i could get more trigger time in.

^^^

Aw...did you sell the P6? I hope you didn't cause those things are sweet shooters. Probably the best single stack 9 you get in terms overall practicality and they are harder to find nowadays. Back in 2007 you can find them all day for $250, now $400+ seems to be the norm.

this is what i want when i reach the legal age to carry a gun. honestly, the gun looks so clean.
207vnyo.jpg

Dude with the PSL what kinda accuracy are you getting with it?

Thanks Wanksta I would've never though to go there to check their guns out. I think they have a range there as well. Not sure how good it is though.

Originally Posted by ago225

this is what i want when i reach the legal age to carry a gun. honestly, the gun looks so clean.
207vnyo.jpg
You want to OWN one or you want to CARRY one?  If it's the latter you can't be serious.  Desert Eagles are beautiful guns without much practical use for personal defense at all.  They're HUGE for one, very heavy, and the .50 AE round is very unmanagable and impractical for protecting yourself in a real life defensive situation.  Muzzle flash is like a flash of lightning, the noise will make you deaf, and after your first shot it'll take you about 3-5 seconds to get a follow up shot and it won't be very accurate.  If you just like the look of the gun, get a Baby Eagle but don't let Robocop fool you into thinking you finna tote around a .50 AE Dessy.
laugh.gif

- Preciate it.

hey guys i got some questions about this stuff. why do you guys buy all of these guns and honestly, what do you do with them? i mean, a lot of this stuff is beyond basic home protection (like the aks and ARs) so is it for the sake of collection, is it for sport, or is it just for the enjoyment of shooting them? a detailed explanation would be really helpful.

im in no way critical. im a hardcore libertarian, 2nd amendment all the way type guy. im just curious as to why you guys spend this type of money on this stuff. do you think its worth getting into? (ive been considering it) how do you guys store this stuff? is it accessible just in case or locked up?

basically id like to know how the life of a gun collector is like with respect to his firearms. again, any info would be helpful and its clear that a lot of you guys know your stuff lol

Originally Posted by Theta

hey guys i got some questions about this stuff. why do you guys buy all of these guns and honestly, what do you do with them? i mean, a lot of this stuff is beyond basic home protection (like the aks and ARs) so is it for the sake of collection, is it for sport, or is it just for the enjoyment of shooting them? a detailed explanation would be really helpful.

im in no way critical. im a hardcore libertarian, 2nd amendment all the way type guy. im just curious as to why you guys spend this type of money on this stuff. do you think its worth getting into? (ive been considering it) how do you guys store this stuff? is it accessible just in case or locked up?

basically id like to know how the life of a gun collector is like with respect to his firearms. again, any info would be helpful and its clear that a lot of you guys know your stuff lolI
I own my AR because I can, also the Second Amendment guarantees my right too. And just so you know an AR is arguably the best firearm for home protection with the correct ammunition. That's why SWAT teams and police across the country and  switching away from guns like the MP5 and to AR15s.

Originally Posted by AR Guy

basically id like to know how the life of a gun collector is like with respect to his firearms. again, any info would be helpful and its clear that a lot of you guys know your stuff lolI
I own my AR because I can, also the Second Amendment guarantees my right too. And just so you know an AR is arguably the best firearm for home protection with the correct ammunition. That's why SWAT teams and police across the country and  switching away from guns like the MP5 and to AR15s.
wow really? i understand that an AR doesnt compare to a handgun, but isnt it kind of overkill for protecting your home or is it actually significantly better? also what type of gun license or permit would i need to get one? thanks for the info btw

I'm still testing out different model handguns but right now I like the Smith & Wesson M&P. Can someone recommend similar firearms?

Originally Posted by ualreadyknow23

Originally Posted by ago225

207vnyo.jpg
You want to�OWN one or you want to�CARRY one?� If it's the latter you can't be serious.��Desert Eagles are beautiful guns without much practical use for personal defense at all.� They're HUGE for one, very heavy, and the .50 AE round is very unmanagable and impractical for protecting yourself in a real life defensive situation.� Muzzle flash�is like a flash of lightning, the noise will make you deaf, and after your first shot it'll take you about 3-5 seconds to get a follow up shot and it won't be very accurate.� If you just like the look of the gun, get a Baby Eagle but don't let Robocop fool you into thinking you finna tote around a .50 AE Dessy.
laugh.gif

- Preciate it.

��
Recoil for people who can't handle them FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/v/FlfTPeOqjLg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311bhttp://www.youtube.com/v/FlfTPeOqjLg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b

Aint gonna lie though, 1st time I shot it, I flinched and i didn't even hit a standard target.Gotta give it some time to get comfortable with it.

and ditto to self protection with this one. not practical at all.

first buy was Taurus .380 pro , practical gun for the house/ and my girl to shoot.. then i bought baby Desert Eagle .40... thats my baby

basically id like to know how the life of a gun collector is like with respect to his firearms. again, any info would be helpful and its clear that a lot of you guys know your stuff lol
Disclaimer: Here comes some poetical waxing about firearms, if you want to be spared the melodrama then stop reading here.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ever since I was a kid I had a fascination with guns. From cap guns, to lever action bb guns, to CO2 powered pellet guns. I was reading the gun mags ever since the 4th grade. I told myself that by the time I am LEGALLY able to own firearms I would be very knowledgeable about various firearms. Funny thing is I never saw guns as a way to harm people, I like them from the engineering aspect of them. I also love to shoot and learn new shooting styles. I taught myself how to reflex shoot very accurately without using the sights, and I am currently training on the Center Axis Relock C.A.R. style of CQB shooting.

What got me interested in Mil-spec weapons was my work with the gov't in the Persian Gulf. Me and my crew was isolated with the extremely capable US Special Operations Command operators. On an almost everyday basis I was around the worlds most capable soldiers and their gear. They love to talk shop about firearms and I got plenty of good advice from them as far as weapons, gear, and techniques.

Again I'm not out to shoot anyone, not unless my life or my families life was on the line, I just love high end weaponry. As a matter of fact I don't even have a CCW. I can easily get one and I will just for the option of carrying, but I don't feel a super compelling reason to be packing all the time. But I will be getting my Class III to be able to legally own full-auto and short barrel M4's. It isn't as hard as it sounds to get one DEPENDING where you reside...you must get a signature from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your county...usually the Sheriff. Anyway I hope this answers at least soem of your questions my fellow NT'er.

Back
Top Bottom