NT's own Ninjahood now starting CF for the Anaheim Angels

3 reasons why African-American youth aren't playing baseball as much:

1. The other 2 major sports in America are more exciting, more fast-paced. Whereas baseball I think the grand total of a 3 hour game is 8 minutes of "live" play.
2. In basketball you can play on your driveway, a gym, or at your local park. Football you only have to go so far as down your driveway and onto the street asking the neighbors if they want to play. Baseball MUST be played at the park WITH a diamond or at least objects to create bases and foul lines.
3. It still takes 18 players to play baseball along with bats, balls, and gloves which not everybody has. Basketball, ball and hoop; don't even need other players. Football, ball; as little as 4-6 players.

Originally Posted by Robby Valentino

I'll say this though.

Finding a Dominican who will even acknowledge having any connection to blacks is....difficult. To say the very least...

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

3. It still takes 18 players to play baseball along with bats, balls, and gloves which not everybody has. Basketball, ball and hoop; don't even need other players. Football, ball; as little as 4-6 players.

"Over The Line", "Pepper". Ever hear of ghost runners?

Yeah, because there's never been an "all time pitcher" like kids use "all time QB" in 2 hand touch..

And you're right though, the kids in the Dominican are balling out of their mind playing full on squad games with the ill Mizuno gloves and Triple 7 bats...

The ignorance on this board toward the sport is atrocious

Not about to read through this whole thread, but anybody w/ an IQ over 2 knows what he was trying to get at, he just didn't but it in the best terms. 
eyes.gif
ohwell.gif

There has been some concern about the number of African-American baseball players. Many blacks are choosing to play other sports instead.

Agreed.  There's not much MLB can do IMO to encourage the black youth to try and play baseball early on.  We have to encourage ourselves to want to play baseball to begin with.  Not to mention, from a money and injury incentive the best sport to play is baseball.   

Originally Posted by dreClark

Not about to read through this whole thread, but anybody w/ an IQ over 2 knows what he was trying to get at, he just didn't but it in the best terms. 
eyes.gif
ohwell.gif

And?  There are countless other examples of people, athletes included, who put themselves in difficult situations because of not thinking before they speak...or saying how the really feel without the typical coached-up, "we gave our best effort, the better team won" responses to the media.

It's one thing if you feel that MLB is using these players who they can pass off as black in order to fill these perceived quotas but it's a whole different ballgame (pun) when put your foot in your mouth and call the players themselves "impostors".  You think he would've used Vlad's name if he was still on the Angels?

He should have just said that Latino players are not African-American. They are all "black" though if you're using the US version of the word, no matter how much they may deny it. There is a difference between nationality, which is a relatively simple concept to define, and race, which is difficult to define because it's a social construct. In the United States, anyone with dark skin is black, but in South America, just because someone has dark skin does not mean they view themselves as "black" because their perception of their own race is different.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Why do black dudes get a pass?

laugh.gif

These "impostors" are talented individuals that come from poverty, he makes it seem as if MLB has a ton of leagues in the Dominican and Latin America.

In fact, all these academies that have been popping up in Latin America started around the time some of these RBI Academies started popping up as well.

This is not the first time Torii Hunter has said something full of ignorance.

If this was a white dude complaining about the NBA snatching all these black kids from the inner city, ya'll would've been all over him, calling him racist and all that crap.

Instead, it's a black dude so you guys give him a pass and...."theres some truth to that".  Where's the truth.

Where are the NFL programs for Latinos and Asians?

Where are the NBA programs for Caucasians, Asians and Latinos?

Black people always cryin' for no damn reason.  So your numbers do not dominate MLB like they do the NFL and NBA....boo %@!%%*! hoo cry me a %@!%%*! river.

Torii Hunter go $%+$ yourself you ignorant racist.
QFMFT

a lot of countries don't give a damn about education but they'll pimp their kids for hopes of them making it in sports....its sad but funny....america ftw
not saying it don't happen in america....that was a shot at the poor countries 

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

"Over The Line", "Pepper". Ever hear of ghost runners?

Yeah, because there's never been an "all time pitcher" like kids use "all time QB" in 2 hand touch..

And you're right though, the kids in the Dominican are balling out of their mind playing full on squad games with the ill Mizuno gloves and Triple 7 bats...

The ignorance on this board toward the sport is atrocious
Ghost runners?  You mean the ones that can only advance as many bases as the hitter?  Yeah, that really makes kids in America wanna play a sport with imaginary players
grin.gif

All time pitcher and quarterback? The same guy that can control the outcome of the game?  Child please.

You act as though my point is totally void, which it isn't.  Tell me it's not a legit reason kids pick basketball and football over baseball, you'd only be kidding yourself.

I agree with him.

In H.S., I wanted to try out for the baseball team. They posted tryout throught the school. "Mysteriously", the flyers dissapeared, and when the baseball team was unveiled, they trotted out a bunch of Hispanic cats. I got no beef with Hispanic people, but TH speaks the truth.

Originally Posted by Steve212

I agree with him.

In H.S., I wanted to try out for the baseball team. They posted tryout throught the school. "Mysteriously", the flyers dissapeared, and when the baseball team was unveiled, they trotted out a bunch of Hispanic cats. I got no beef with Hispanic people, but TH speaks the truth.
so because u didn't see the flyer anymore, you assumed the baseball team disbanded?  Whatever happened to asking the AD about what's up w. the tryouts?  Seems like an excuse to me.

*shrugs*

Torii Hunter sounds dumb as hell.  I can understand what he's getting at, but it comes off as REAL ignorant.  John Rocker caught a lot of flack for spouting racist/ignorant BS...just saying. 

I agree with him.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Torii Hunter sounds dumb as hell.  I can understand what he's getting at, but it comes off as REAL ignorant.  John Rocker caught a lot of flack for spouting racist/ignorant BS...just saying. 

I thought his comments were out of line as well.

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

a lot of countries don't give a damn about education but they'll pimp their kids for hopes of them making it in sports....its sad but funny....america ftw
not saying it don't happen in america....that was a shot at the poor countries 

I hate to knock on your logic here.

However, our public school systems are in the toilet.

Yes, America does value it's education, yet that doesn't stop them from "pimping" their kids for sports as you say.  How many kids of any background start playing sports at an early age?  How many parents pay for private camps, travel leagues, coaches?  A lot of kids go through high school and college without knowing a damn thing yet become professional athletes.

You think the AAU circuit is for education purposes?

All those shoe sponsored football camps are for education purposes?

How many parents in America "pimp" their kids to the music and entertainment biz?

It just so happens that America has more options for those that don't "make it".  If you are not wealthy in  a third world country then it will be difficult for you to attain a formal education.

As opposed to America, where you still have a chance of making something of yourself if you don't have athletic ability.

It seems like America is heading that route.  What do you think all those protest on college campuses are about?

The cries of the middle class about the gap between the rich and the poor.  The fact that the middle class gets bent over and reamed when it comes to taxes, while the rich continuously find loopholes or "tax breaks" in order to avoid them.

Open your eyes.

Right now, the United States is the pretty girl with baggage and mental issues.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I agree with him.

so because u didn't see the flyer anymore, you assumed the baseball team disbanded?  Whatever happened to asking the AD about what's up w. the tryouts?  Seems like an excuse to me.

*shrugs*
No.  Try again.

Vlad aint black just cause hes not American???...
smh.gif

my b, i forgot that all blacks had to be American... Africans, Dominicans, and all others with dark skin are all just foreigners
smh.gif

can somebody explain to me why the mlb should be targeting the black community or helping it in any way?

It's safe to say dude has lost alot of respect thru out MLB. Very stupid and senseless to make those comments.

3 reasons why African-American youth aren't playing baseball as much:

1. The other 2 major sports in America are more exciting, more fast-paced. Whereas baseball I think the grand total of a 3 hour game is 8 minutes of "live" play.
2. In basketball you can play on your driveway, a gym, or at your local park. Football you only have to go so far as down your driveway and onto the street asking the neighbors if they want to play. Baseball MUST be played at the park WITH a diamond or at least objects to create bases and foul lines.

and 4 in the dominican republic these dudes play baseball any way they can, bare foot, broom sticks, rocks, bottle caps, broken balls, beans, anything that you can hit with dominicans use it, and these kids play these games every single day religiously that's why they go to get these latin players they all have talent. and bag of chips
smh.gif
hanley ramirez is riding that $70 mil contract idiot.

Edit: I think he mad that Erick Aybar is better than him

Back
Top Bottom