NYC bans employment drug screenings for Marijuana

So here's my question: What's special about the marijuana impairment that can't be said about alcohol's impairment?

That's all fine, but:
I'm hiring hourly employees. I need them to be almost machine like in consistancy. Being a free thinker is going to disrupt the environment I'm creating.

Just because you are an employer and want your establishment run like a well oiled machine doesn't mean individuals can or will be able to abide by that standard, drug use or otherwise. Goes both ways, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Also have you ever met or dealt with a person who doesn't smoke until they are impaired similar to someone who sips wine not to get drunk but to relax

If weed is legal in your state, you should not be tested for it... UNLESS you have a position that requires you to drive or operate heavy machinery. That is the standard now in California.

Employers shouldn't be allowed to test for a legal substance to make hiring decisions

Employers should be allowed to set their standards for employment there. That doesn't mean people aren't going to cheat or get past those obstacles. Piss tests are a joke.

It's more of a waste of money. Don't hire someone walking in smelling like weed and alcohol obviously, but don't ding someone that can function and use those substances in their personal time.

If the employee isn't adhering to your employment standards fire them. Simple. Well, as long as you are in an at will state.

Like i said, it has a lot to do with misconceptions around marijuana stemming from reefer madness up to today where it's still demonized in CERTAIN neighborhoods and for CERTAIN people.

When you get down to it with people who stand so strongly against it, the logic is usually flawed and unfounded. If we take issue with marijuana, we should seriously consider the legality of alcohol.

Like i said, it has a lot to do with misconceptions around marijuana stemming from reefer madness up to today where it's still demonized in CERTAIN neighborhoods and for CERTAIN people.

When you get down to it with people who stand so strongly against it, the logic is usually flawed and unfounded. If we take issue with marijuana, we should seriously consider the legality of alcohol.
I personally consider alcohol more damaging than marijuana.

Agreed, as I think most people admit. That’s why I don’t understand the logic of stigmatizing marijuana while throwing back an ice cold beer.

The laws and propaganda which were informed by people have skewed our perception of what is acceptable and what isn’t.

That's usually how I approach all push back, if you talk about how people can be so out of it when they smoke, I'm sure you feel the same about drinking. But most don't and all they go off of is the years that we've been told how bad weed is and not the reality that there's very little separating weed, alcohol, and cigarettes

Agreed, as I think most people admit. That’s why I don’t understand the logic of stigmatizing marijuana while throwing back an ice cold beer.

The laws and propaganda which were informed by people have skewed our perception of what is acceptable and what isn’t.

I truly hope the hemp industry helps out the farmers. CBD is a hot product and there's so much more we can do with a plant that was illegal for the dumbest of reasons.

I think the employer should have the right to screen the employees they hire for drug use. If I'm hiring I want to be paying for smart, responsible, employees in good health.
It's not that I care what you do in your personal life. I think marijuana and most other drugs should be legalized everywhere BUT...

First and foremost, in my experience absenteeism is much higher in drug users than non-drug users. A drug user in a state that hasn't decriminalized it has little respect for rules and regulations that I may need them to follow. High functioning or not marijuana use is an impairment for most users. Decision making is affected. And finally whatever mentally or emotionally damaging ailments you have at home that lead you to use drugs isn't necessarily what I want to invite into my workplace. If the ailment is some actual physical health issue... I'd rather hire the next healthy man anyway. Not trying to have you out half the week on FMLA protected absence.

If you believe you are just as valuable as Richard Branson after your morning wake and bake then start your own company or freelance work. I'm hiring hourly employees. I need them to be almost machine like in consistancy. Being a free thinker is going to disrupt the environment I'm creating. In some positions that's useful. Maybe I won't screen those. But for most it's not.

Just because you're a human being with needs doesn't mean the job market has to be altruistic and look out for you. Just business. Nothing personal.

The issue is it's a double standard.

Deborah can have anxiety/depression, be prescribed klonipin, xanax and seroquel and treated as "normal" compared to Anthony who sometimes relaxes with a spliff on football Sunday. Who do you think is the more productive worker and who do you think tests positive during conventional screens?

It's political. No one's going to butt heads with the pharmaceutical industry by lumping their pill ingesting clientele with the MJ users.

Its cool but a lot of folk smoke on their break or before work and I know a lot of folks who are lazy dumb n slow when they smoke. I’ve smoked once or twice on break but I rather not I like getting out of work sober and coming home to smoke without worry.

Most of the people I know who smoke ain’t sick or have any mental issues...they smoke to smoke. The marijuana boom has caused a lot of folks to self diagnose themself with dieases where weed is the cure lol.

Damn, I want a bottle of wine now.:lol:

I want a jar a bud

Its cool but a lot of folk smoke on their break or before work and I know a lot of folks who are lazy dumb n slow when they smoke. I’ve smoked once or twice on break but I rather not I like getting out of work sober and coming home to smoke without worry.

Most of the people I know who smoke ain’t sick or have any mental issues...they smoke to smoke. The marijuana boom has caused a lot of folks to self diagnose themself with dieases where weed is the cure lol.

It's no different than smoking a cigarette to "calm your nerves"/"take the edge off" or drinking wine to "relax" or drinking whiskey after a hard day or any other liquor after hearing some bad news. They are all vices that if used at the wrong time can be catastrophic or can cause a person to be less productive at work. That's all most weed smokers want to be understood. It's not much different from what is already legalized.

Anything can be abused or used imporperly

I think the employer should have the right to screen the employees they hire for drug use. If I'm hiring I want to be paying for smart, responsible, employees in good health.
It's not that I care what you do in your personal life. I think marijuana and most other drugs should be legalized everywhere BUT...

First and foremost, in my experience absenteeism is much higher in drug users than non-drug users. A drug user in a state that hasn't decriminalized it has little respect for rules and regulations that I may need them to follow. High functioning or not marijuana use is an impairment for most users. Decision making is affected. And finally whatever mentally or emotionally damaging ailments you have at home that lead you to use drugs isn't necessarily what I want to invite into my workplace. If the ailment is some actual physical health issue... I'd rather hire the next healthy man anyway. Not trying to have you out half the week on FMLA protected absence.

If you believe you are just as valuable as Richard Branson after your morning wake and bake then start your own company or freelance work. I'm hiring hourly employees. I need them to be almost machine like in consistancy. Being a free thinker is going to disrupt the environment I'm creating. In some positions that's useful. Maybe I won't screen those. But for most it's not.

Just because you're a human being with needs doesn't mean the job market has to be altruistic and look out for you. Just business. Nothing personal.

Didn’t read it all and won’t after you basically said check your mental illness at home and don’t work. Like anxiety doesn’t cripple millions. You ever take any anti anxiety pills or pain killers b? They suck would much rather light up and go about my merry day

If weed is legal in your state, you should not be tested for it... UNLESS you have a position that requires you to drive or operate heavy machinery. That is the standard now in California.

Employers shouldn't be allowed to test for a legal substance to make hiring decisions

I’d argue they shouldn’t be able to drug test period, except for the safety jobs.

Even for illegal drugs, the employer isn’t the police.

My job is required to be tested by the government. It sucks but it is what it is, they would never test us on their own though. The only time we get tested is when the DOT pulls your name. Even in an accident we won’t get tested.

Doesn’t help the image Hollywood created of the stoner is typically a lazy, distressed loooking person. Smoke most mornings before work and and I be super productive. Get a dozen or so prescriptions out the way before any of my workers clock in.

The issue is it's a double standard.

Deborah can have anxiety/depression, be prescribed klonipin, xanax and seroquel and treated as "normal" compared to Anthony who sometimes relaxes with a spliff on football Sunday. Who do you think is the more productive worker and who do you think tests positive during conventional screens?

It's political. No one's going to butt heads with the pharmaceutical industry by lumping their pill ingesting clientele with the MJ users.
BINGO

I’d advise you to go into the ins and outs of “real” diagnosis then. The doctor is just a gateway to a prescription. Once you say the “magic words” you’re ______. Self diagnosis is in everything

I need someone to find Ninjahood so we can make sense of all this

Where is Ninja??

im a CDL driver, can't get high behind da wheel...god forbid some idiot does something get a bunch of children hurt and homeboy was blazed....

Doesn’t help the image Hollywood created of the stoner is typically a lazy, distressed loooking person. Smoke most mornings before work and and I be super productive. Get a dozen or so prescriptions out the way before any of my workers clock in.
I’ll admit I did the same for a while. I was cool for the most part, but I had learned that on certain days, I should go in clean. When I had to go in for a presentation or a meeting where I knew I had to be vocal, I’d skip it. Now I try to have distinct times for it, because for me it was becoming something I was doing all the time (due to other life nonsense leading to a period of depression). Probably also has a lot to do with my father’s alcoholism, too. I started to see it as more of a need than a desire.

People have to be trusted to recognize how their use affects them and adjust accordingly as we do with any mind altering substance. I know a ton of people who microdose in the mornings, and I honestly think it helped a bit with the anxiety I had always been feeling.

I know people who smoke a blunt, then hit the gym. It’s really a case by case thing, and has a lot to do with the person you are and how much personal motivation you have to get your **** done. If you’re an active person, you’ll likely be an active pothead. If you’re a shy person who avoids interaction, smoking will probably push you deeper into your hole. It’s about about being conscious of who you are and how you’re feeling.

Back
Top Bottom